07/29 Mowgli AMPS 356 PMPS 252 +2 119 +4 79 +5 94

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by AmandaE, Jul 29, 2019.

1. AmandaE

AmandaE Well-Known Member

07/26 Condo

Hey All,

As usual I was basically MIA this weekend. I was able to get two curves done though and Mowgli got a cute little increase to 1u. Calipered 0.75u wasn’t doing it.

Our flight to Nova Scotia is early morning on Friday and I wanted to pick everyone’s brain on how they handle flying along with insulin dosage. We have to arrive at the airport 2hrs before departure because of Mowgli, so for context our day will look like this:

Leave the house - airport for 2hrs - 1hr flight - 3 hr layover - 5 hour flight - 2 hour drive

I have a few questions:

1. Dosing: Mowgli is on a 6am / 6pm schedule, we leave the house at 6am and fly out at 8:40am. We will be arriving at 9:17pm in Nova Scotia which would be 6:17pm our time. In the morning should we: Give a normal dose? Give a partial dose? Give no dose? Same question for PM?
    2. How many pens do you bring? Just enough? Extra?
    3. What do you do for food and feeding? The airline asks that you don’t feed 4hours before you leave so I was thinking about giving Mowgli a smaller supper and getting up and feeding a full can of FF at 2am. How much food do you bring on the plane? I plan to bring food in his hypo kit LC MC HC. I think because I have a three hour layover in Calgary I could feed him a little there too.
    4. What do you use for bathroom trips? Just puppy pads? I would feel bad for him sitting on a soiled puppy pad. We also have a three hour layover in Calgary. How do you manage layovers?
    I’ve read some of the travel posts around but I’m curious how care givers with lantus manage dosing and everything.

I would say I will have more questions as Friday approaches

Hope everyone has a great day :D

Perry & Jenn likes this.
  2. Jerry dutchboy

Jerry dutchboy Well-Known Member

Wow, that's a lot of travel with a cat in tow. I can't offer any help as I would be asking these questions too. Best of luck, I'm sure if anyone can do it you will. One suggestion I have is make sure you have a harness on him. That way you could let him out of the carrier on the layovers and if need be change the puppy pad then.

Sam & Oscar and AmandaE like this.
  3. Margie and Jackson

Margie and Jackson Member

On the flights I’ve taken with cats I carried multiple pads and needed to change them. I wouldn’t think you would have a problem with hypoglycemia due to travel stress. I would feed a diabetic cat as early as possible;), and ignore the airline’s wishes. I tried to push food and water during layovers, but my cats were way too freaked to eat.

It really worried me to carry the cats through security. I might get a collar or leash so Mowgli can’t slip away. My worst nightmare!

AmandaE likes this.
  4. Debra and Yoyo

Debra and Yoyo Well-Known Member

How exciting to be traveling but also worrisom with Mowgli.

I hope you get it all sorted out and have a safe travel/vacation.

With so many experienced people on this site, I am sure you will get it all figured out by Friday.

Hope the increase brings safe green numbers:D:D

AmandaE likes this.
  5. Randi & Max (GA)

Randi & Max (GA) Well-Known Member

Hey Amanda
    That is a lot of travel and I am sure you will get a lot of help on his dosing and needs.
    The harness as mentioned is a very good idea so you could take him out on layover if you want to without fear but also you should ask if he can be checked in a separate room. When my mom flew with her cat they brought them into a closed room so that they can check the carrier and you don't have to worry about opening it up and fear his escape.
    Bring extra pee pee pads in a plastic bag, keep some paper towels in there as well for any cleanups and you can always wet them after.

Also are you bringing syringes on the plane with you? If so you should check with the airline if you need any paperwork about the diabetic cat. Just a thought. I would want to have some supplies on hand with me in case god forbid luggage is lost and you don't want to be searching for syringes.
    Safe travels.

6. Tomlin

Tomlin Well-Known Member

Hi Amanda,

I'm not sure how they your security handles things there but as was mentioned above, in the U.S. they make us take the cat out of the cat carrier so that the carrier is able to go through x-ray. You must then carry the cat through the scanner. An alternative option here (depending on the airport, TSA is helpful or upset when asked) is to ask for private screening in a room. That way it is less stressful for the cat to be removed from the carrier in a quiet room vs in the chaos of security with all the people & noise! Unfortunately, I have had a few run ins with TSA in the U.S. who really gave me a hard time about requesting a room vs taking the cat out:banghead:! Seems like common sense, but sometimes that is lacking & its faster & easier for them to have you just walk through with the cat vs needing an extra screener & a room. Depending on the cat, I've held ground for a room if I didn't feel 100% comfortable.

I bring puppy pads, but never had any issues. I've never worried about feeding any of the cats I've flown with before travel. If I were leaving when you are, my T would be able to eat & do his business before travel if I got up a couple of hours before heading to the airport. I do bring food & I did have a cat in the past that would eat during a layover so you never know :).

I always have my cats immunization/vet records with me. Some airlines require proof of immunization/letter from vet so always check with the specific airline. I bring them regardless in case of any issues that could pop up or if in some rare situation I have to change carriers due to flight cancellations/changes. It can be totally random here, even within an airline. I'll get one check in person who is laid back & another who seems to check everything & anything, so I just try to be prepared.

Declare the insulin before screening (liquid). You are able to ask for hand inspection vs x-ray in the U.S. if you feel more comfortable with that. It is safe for insulin to go through x-ray though. Its all personal preference.

I would bring an extra pen & extra supplies to be safe.

Hopefully, he will just sleep during the flights. I haven't had any that haven't (knock on wood). My carriers have the fold down shades so that they don't get stressed seeing all the activity. Some of the cats I've traveled with enjoyed the activity & visited with people, while others wanted to just stay hidden in their carrier. I always adjust the shades once on the plane just to make sure they get plenty of air :D

Safe travels & enjoy your vacation!

Wishing you luck with the new dose :)!

AmandaE likes this.
  7. AmandaE

Thanks! Mowgli is so slippery too I almost feel like I need to get him a new harness as I know he can escape his current one. The one he has now is one of the ones that go over his head and then snap around his belly. Good tip! Thanks :D

Sue and Luci and Perry & Jenn like this.
  8. Tomlin

Tomlin Well-Known Member

I have a black cat who looks kind of like Mowgli but is smaller frame. We nicknamed him the Noodle & man, he is an escape artist. Just ask for a room :p. It is SO much nicer & so much less stressful for the cat even when they aren't escape artists. There is too much going on at checkpoints. Now if its a smaller airport & quiet, I don't mind, but otherwise I definitely prefer a nice, quiet room.

Sue and Luci and AmandaE like this.
  9. AmandaE

Thanks Randi! I think it is definitely a good tip that I ask for him to be checked in a different room, I will ask at the airport for sure :) I'll have to pick up a pack of puppy pads to use, I also bought these pet diapers but I'm unsure if they would work with the harness and its one more thing to add to Mowgs stress... on the bright side though... he wouldnt be spreading any of his mess around... I hope he doesnt need to poo :eek:

10. AmandaE

Thanks Amy!

I will have to call my vet and get some records... hopefully they can email them and I wont have to go there in person to get them. Have you ever had your cats poo in transit... it's something I am a little worried about!

All of your other tips make a lot of sense... thanks a lot :D

11. Tomlin

Tomlin Well-Known Member

Never had a Code Brown :eek: while flying!

AmandaE likes this.
  12. AmandaE

OMG I dont know what I would do! it makes a case for the diaper but also doesnt because the poo would get in his fur... but it would be isolated I guess :|

13. Tomlin

Tomlin Well-Known Member

I was actually more worried about the cat NOT being able to go. The first time I travelled with a cat post lung lobectomy, during Christmas (nightmare), we got stuck for awhile because planes were grounded. I called my vet & they said no worries. All I could think about is what if they have to go to the bathroom & are holding it?! That was back in 2003 & I've flown a lot with cats since then with no issues at all...except for the push for a room with TSA!

AmandaE likes this.
  14. AmandaE

So. I just called my vet's office for a letter stating that Mowgli is diabetic and needs his supplies on board with him. They said... Mowgli's vet has been let go and because I didn't get the recommended 3 week follow up fructosamine test that none of their other vets will sign him off to fly :facepalm:

I've sent them his previous lab results from March and his spreadsheet which hopefully will be enough to prove that he is diabetic :rolleyes:

I was like... why hasn't anyone told me that Mowgli's vet was no longer there? I literally made an appointment there just so he could get introduced to the practice :rolleyes::banghead:

I'm annoyed... Anyone know whether or not if I claimed to be diabetic if I would need a doctors note? :p

15. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

You've received a lot of good advice. I think the dose will depend on what his numbers are and if you think you'll be able to test during the trip.

AmandaE likes this.
  16. AmandaE

The vet tech said I should just give the normal dosage... I'm unsure if that is sound advice or not... she seemed sure though

17. carfurby (GA)

Do you know how stress affects his numbers? If it makes them go up, you'll most likely want to give some insulin. Sorry your vet is being so stupid.

AmandaE likes this.
  18. AmandaE

I'm not really sure, not much really stresses him out (but travel definitely does), during his diagnosis his BG was 516.6 but the vet had said that it was probably stress induced. I also started giving him Zylkene last night and will be giving it to him once a day for the rest of the week to keep him calm... seemed to work for his flight out here.

I'm nervous to give him insulin before his flight in case he takes a dive... When he came out to live with me he was on Caninsulin, it's such a hard and fast insulin that the vet had said definitely don't give him the am dose because your cat isn't supposed to eat much on the plane and there was at risk of going Hypo. If that is the case I'm wondering if a partial dose for fly day is better.. or potentially a skipped shot.

19. AmandaE

Update: The vet already called after reviewing his spreadsheet / labwork and they will write the letter for me :)

20. carfurby (GA)

If you can't take him out of the carrier on the flight to test if you need to, you may want to skip or shoot a reduced dose. You'll need to take into consideration any possible flight delays too.

AmandaE likes this.
  21. AmandaE

That’s true too. I didn’t even think about delays but I was planning to have some cans of food with me just in case. I’m leaning toward a reduced dose so that he has some insulin support but not too much. If I give his AM dose I will be able to get a +2 at the airport before takeoff . Then we will only be in the air for 1 hr before our 3 hr layover which will enable me to get a +3 or +3.5 if needed. It will also allow me to see how he is doing before the long leg of our flight.

Tomlin likes this.
  22. Perry & Jenn

Perry & Jenn Member

I don't have tips, but I wish you all kinds of luck and send all kinds of vines for your travels. :bighug::bighug::bighug:

23. AmandaE

So. I have these pet diapers I thought I might try for the plane... good idea or bad idea? I feel like, if he pooped I would rather it be matted into one part of his fur rather than the rest of his fur and smooshed around his kennel. He was wearing them a bit yesterday as a trial and didn’t try to get them off but also very obviously didn’t like them Thoughts? B30B83C7-62BD-40FC-ABA1-DC8ED82FA0A9.jpeg

Also I think I have my head wrapped around everything now except for the actual dose advice. Do Lantus cats usuallly fly with full or partial doses?

24. JoyBee&Ravan

JoyBee&Ravan Well-Known Member

It all sounds like so much "Stress" for all of you! If your other cats are staying at home why aren't you leaving Mowgli home also? It just sounds so much simpler.
    I once took a cat on a plane & the flight back was cancelled. I ended up sitting in the airport with my poor cat all night. ( Like 12 hours!)

Tomlin and AmandaE like this.
  25. AmandaE

I’m hoping it won’t end up being too much stress. I can’t afford a pet sitter for two weeks and I don’t have anyone to watch him. Plus I don’t want to put him on a reduced dose for 2 weeks. Once I’m home it won’t be stressful, I’m sure of that. When he flew out to live with me it all went ok, so I’m sure he’ll be ok this time too, it’s more logistics and making sure I do the safe thing for his dose in the am

Tomlin and Perry & Jenn like this.
  26. JoyBee&Ravan

JoyBee&Ravan Well-Known Member

Who's going to watch your other cat?

27. AmandaE

My sister can watch Nyx because she isn't on a strict 12x12 hour schedule, but she cant watch Mowgli because of the 12x12 shot schedule

JoyBee&Ravan likes this.
  28. Tracey&Jones (GA)

Tracey&Jones (GA) Well-Known Member

I am not sure I would worry about the pooping part unless he gets diarrhea when stressed. I would wait till you get closer but I would I would do a BCS - half dose. He will run high but still get something in the tank. With possible delays etc. It just maybe easier.

AmandaE likes this.
  29. Sam & Oscar

Sam & Oscar Member

I once had to move two cats from Cali to FL and they required me to put them in one carrier together. US TSA let me have a room but I had to take BOTH cats out of the carrier so she could take it back through xray:facepalm: I think that my stress level wore on both of them, but I can say they slept the whole flight. Hopefully Mowgli will do the same!!

Glad your vet got it together for you, what a terrifying call when you're trying to get everything together! You're very prepared and I'm sure all will go well! Might be best to at least give some dose if you know travel stress affects his BG.

AmandaE likes this.
  30. AmandaE

He has never gotten diarrhea (ETA: *knock on wood*), maybe I will just go for the puppy pads in the carrier then, rather than the diaper... I would just feel so bad for him if he did poop :eek:

Tomlin likes this.
  31. AmandaE

I can NOT imagine that!!!

In Canada you are only allowed 1 pet per adult and each plane will only allow so many cabin animals at a time... I think the max is 4 in a large plane. My planes limit is 2.

I couldnt believe about my vet... like arent all patients your patients? why didnt you let me know my vet was let go? how come no one followed up about the fructosamine if he HAD to have it... so frustrating!

Sue and Luci likes this.
  32. Randi & Max (GA)

Randi & Max (GA) Well-Known Member

Amanda what type of carrier are you using for him? What airline?

AmandaE likes this.
  33. Jill & Alex (GA)

Jill & Alex (GA) Senior Member Moderator

34. Jill & Alex (GA)

Jill & Alex (GA) Senior Member Moderator

It depends on the cat. However, most usually skip when traveling by air.

AmandaE likes this.
  35. Tomlin

Tomlin Well-Known Member

They will NOT allow 2 pets now let alone tell you to do that in the U.S..

Sorry to hear about your vet situation...messed up, but I'm happy it worked out!

I would just go with puppy pads.....& an adult beverage for you! No matter what it will be fine :p. Again, I would ask for a room for the check at security just because its so much nicer & less stressful. Sometimes something holds up the screening & now there you are standing with the cat while they re scan some random bag! Its just more predictable, controlled when you go into a room. Very easy.

36. AmandaE

I'm using a medium sherpa, and I'm flying west-jet. My sister had success flying out with it even though it is JUST over there specs. I believe they let it go because it is soft sided.
    Thanks SO MUCH!

I’ve read through a couple of these but it is very nice to have a list at my fingertips! Thanks so much for taking the time Jill :joyful:
    I was thinking half dose like Tracey mentioned. My vet here said it was ok to give the full dose but I felt like the change in altitude had something to do with why a full dose was less advisable.

I think the reason Mowgli’s NS vet asked us to skip a dose before he came out here was because he used to be on caninsulin and it can hit so hard and fast... all the while your cat isn’t supposed to eat much 4 hours before the flight.

I’m going to ask quickly again when I pop by to get his permission for flying with diabetic supplies

Tomlin likes this.
  37. Penelope and Mačka

Penelope and Mačka Well-Known Member

I would recommend you have a prescription for insulin with you.
    Also, very important is to have water with you during the trip, at the airport and in the air, because it's very dehydrating and Macka was completely dehydrated when he arrived to the US after a long flight. If he eats, feed him on the plane, but mostly he needs to drink. Nobody ever told me anything when I was flying with cats and would open the carriers. Poopy pads are the way to go. And keep him on your lap (in the carrier) even if people tell you to put him on the ground. I think they feel safer if they can see/smell/hear you.

Have a safe trip!

38. AmandaE

I will definitely take that advise especially for the way back. Our airport is really small so I don’t expect an issue asking for a room. :) I will have him outfitted with a nice leash and harness so that should work out ok.

I’m really excited to bring Mowgli back with me. I don’t really like leaving him on a reduced dose when I go on vacation. I like the idea of having 2 weeks where I can get some more day time data :bookworm::bookworm:

39. AmandaE

Thanks Penelope! I’m getting a note for his diabetic supplies so I will have them with me in my carryon. Luckily for me insulin is available over the counter so if something happens I can just get some more when we arrive :) I hope there is no reason for that to happen though ;)

Tomlin and Penelope and Mačka like this.
  40. Tomlin

Tomlin Well-Known Member

I bet you are excited :)!! I say if you are willing & able to do it, why not? As I've said, I've traveled with mine & last December I did a one day trip to get my mothers cat & bring her to our house so she could stay with us while my Mom was recuperating from a large medical procedure. I flew on the 22nd which was the Sat before Christmas...total chaos & it was still relatively stress free! I would say the cat was the easiest part of the trip :p.

Enjoy your time away. Sending stress free travel vibes your way (& of course Mowgali's way:D)!!

AmandaE likes this.
  41. AmandaE

Thanks Amy! I have a good feeling about it! we only have one layover so it should be ok ;)

I mean... if you can fly with a cat at Christmas.. the August long weekend should be a piece of cake!

42. Tomlin

Tomlin Well-Known Member

You've got it no matter what :)!

AmandaE likes this.