08/08 Furball +10=329 AMPS=336 +10.5=302 PMPS=284

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by carfurby (GA), Aug 8, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

2. Bellasmom

Bellasmom Well-Known Member

Bring it on down Furball:bighug:
    Have a good day Carla:bighug:

3. carfurby (GA)

4. LizzieInTexas

LizzieInTexas Well-Known Member

Not that I am aware of. I was just suggesting hearts (or liver) to help boost MC's rbc. I couldn't do that with Gizmo because his ckd. :banghead: (bc of the high phos).

Just be careful as organ meat is very rich and might upset the tummy. The FD hearts were a bit less gross :joyful: and were crunchy which he liked.

5. carfurby (GA)

Thanks Lizzie.

LizzieInTexas likes this.
  6. HWright

HWright Well-Known Member

Hi Carla,
    Am just catching up and read yesterday’s too.

I don’t know the answer to your question about whether low phos diet necessary with anemia. But as long as phos and other minerals are in normal range with MC, it’s the keeping food intake up is being a plus.

If MC will eat liver shake, it might help. Thinking to introduce it and daily (max 60cc/ml per day) for awhile. And/or freeze dried liver, heart or giblets treats (vital essential brand is the one I’ve used) as treat crumbled or blenderize into a powder and add to food. The b12 injections I think would be a plus.

Fleas begone!!!!!

carfurby (GA) and LizzieInTexas like this.
  7. carfurby (GA)

8. Judy and Boomer

Judy and Boomer Well-Known Member

Head towards the lagoon Furball!

9. Beth 73

Beth 73 Well-Known Member

Carla, do you have any Science Diet a/d on hand ? This and baby food are my go to when appy is lagging for all our fur babies . Sending good appy and dead flea prayers to you :bighug:

10. carfurby (GA)

No, I don't. I tried baby food before the vet visit and she barely licked it, but she is eating some of her normal food now. Hopefully she'll eat while I'm at work. Thanks.

Beth 73 likes this.
  11. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

I used the Ace hardware brand. It was at the time a pack of 4 (2 small and 2 large) can. In this house we put small can in attic, large can in basement. Small can end of hallway so it gets 2 bedrooms and drifts into 3rd bedroom and bathroom. Large can in open area where kitchen, living room and dining meet and drifts towards bathroom and 3rd bedroom. Placement is key. If there are a lot of walls separating rooms or lots of closets you might need more.

cans empty in 30 minutes. You keep house closed up for 2 hr minimum. We have it down to a science. I fill dishwasher (tight seal) with as many dishes, pots, flatware we will need for 48 hrs. Any open boxes or packages of food are put in plastic bag, put in ice chest and put out on deck. Only have hot water heater with pilot light so that's turned off.

Set everything up the night before. In morning after breakfast cats are loaded into carriers and put on deck if it rainy in car. Hubby climbs in to attic sets it off then sets off basement and leaves out basement door. When he's out I set off end of hall and kitchen one and go out kitchen door.

Then when we go in open all windows, wipe down counters, cabinets and table with those lysol/bleach wipes. I line shelves with new parchment paper put dishes back in and the ones that were left out go in dishwasher and get washed. And we are done.

12. Sonia & Leo

Sonia & Leo Well-Known Member

Wow Paula, that's impressive, you've got it down to an art!!! :)

13. Sonia & Leo

:bighug::bighug::bighug: to MC and Furball

14. Tracey&Jones (GA)

Tracey&Jones (GA) Well-Known Member

Vines for MC and I hope Furball comes down for you today.

15. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

We fogged this house before we actually moved in so that was easy as it was totally empty. Our previous house we got really bad infestation because of visiting my parents and they had come home on me. That was a 2 1/2 story house it was harder to do. My little ranch now is easy but because of walls separating bedrooms it takes an extra can. And I have a dishwasher now where in other house we did not so it took days to wash dishes.

16. Sonia & Leo

The amount of work involved in getting rid of those horrible blood sucking &#$%^&'s is unbelievable. Been there, done that, but a long time ago, I'll never forget how invasive it feels. :(

17. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

No, that isn’t necessary. A young cat can easily process higher phosphorus and the anemia does not come into play with that. That is only in CKD cats.

The suggestions from @LizzieInTexas and @HWright are spot on as giving her iron rich foods can help.

Insofar as B vitamins, no they won’t help her form of anemia. They won’t hurt her...she will just pee out any excess but they won’t help and here’s why.

The kidneys make a hormone called erythropoietin which stimulates the bone marrow to make more red blood cells. B vitamins are necessary for erthryopoesis which is the process of stimulating the bone marrow to make more red blood cells. In a cat with CKD, the kidneys can not produce enough erythropoietin...in part because they urinate so much they deplete their B vitamins so it’s a viscious circle. Their type of anemia is typically non regenerative because their bone marrow cannot make more or enough red blood cells.

MC likely has regenerative anemia ...her bone marrow can make red blood cells, it just can’t make them fast enough due to the fleas sucking her blood. As long as her kidneys are working...and they are...she has what she needs to make red blood cells. Cats are the one species that the life of a red blood cell is relatively short in comparison to other species which means cats become anemic more easily.

It’s crucial to get rid of the fleas and to give her some support with liver and other organ meats but as they said, don’t go overboard or you’ll risk diarrhea and possibly vomiting. And remember that all your pets probably have or will have tapeworms. If you have fleas, you should assume there will be tapeworms.

More vines for her. And I hope you can get rid of the fleas fast. I fought that battle many, many years ago when I lived in TX. My cats were all indoors but the fleas were so bad, they’d come in on me, which I had no clue.

:bighug::bighug::bighug:

Last edited: Aug 8, 2018
  18. carfurby (GA)

HWright and Marje and Gracie like this.
  19. carfurby (GA)

It looks like Furball bounced today and is coming back down.

MC ate some of her food today while I was ate work. It has gotten very hot and humid here again and that may be affecting her appy. Furball didn't eat much dinner today. The heat and humidity usually affects all of my cats.

20. LizzieInTexas

LizzieInTexas Well-Known Member

I think you said you have all hardwood floors (no carpet) but if you are using a vacuum at all be sure to change the bag in-between.

I hate parasites.

21. Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA)

Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA) Well-Known Member

When Alice had a bad infestation and we vacuumed every day for 6 months, we changed the bag after every vacuum session. Ran through a ton of bags! I wonder why tape worms are associated with fleas (@Marje and Gracie )? Our flea problem was so bad that our bed was full of flea eggs. We didn't know what those little white balls were at first.

Carla, I hope MC will get some appy back and that Furball will come back down to better numbers. The weather can't help!

Hang in there!

22. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

The cycle goes they tapeworm eggs are ingested by flea larvae which become adult fleas. Then the cat ingests the flea and the tapeworm uses the cat as the host. Tapeworms can be difficult to diagnose unless you see a segment actually coming out when the cat poos or sometimes when the kitty poos, the tapeworms will get on their bloomers and you’ll see it.

23. Beth 73

Beth 73 Well-Known Member

Carla, I treated mine for tapeworms without evidence of them the summer/fall we fought the Battle of the Fleas. Got a very gentle worm med from my HV . I’d suggest you check with your HV about worming them all and when . Hugs and prayers to you and your babies :bighug:

Jill & Alex (GA) likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.