08/06: Squallie Hypo Watch - AMPS 419, +3.5 86 - BG Rising OK

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Critter Mom, Aug 6, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

Squallie's vet advised Lucy to stick to 7 IU Vetsulin dose today even after yesterday's bad hypo on same dose.

EDITED TO ADD:

Yesterday's Condo:

http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/bg-is-34.142144/

Yesterday's Data:

AM Dose 7IU Vetsulin / Nadir at +4 22 mg/dL (Relion) (some difficulty getting BG to rise)

PM Dose - (skipped)

Today's Data:

AM Dose: 7IU Vetsulin ( per vet instruction :facepalm:)

AMPS: 419 (Relion)
    AM+3: 86

Last edited: Aug 6, 2015
  2. pevsfreedom

pevsfreedom Well-Known Member

@Squalliesmom has vet appt @ 4 today. Skipped dose last night.

Critter Mom likes this.
  3. Julia Rae

Julia Rae Well-Known Member

I am here and can be for as long as needed

Critter Mom likes this.
  4. Jan Radar (GA)

Jan Radar (GA) Well-Known Member

I can't stick with you today as I have an appointment.... sorry. :bighug: hugs and higher number wishes to both of you.

Critter Mom and Julia Rae like this.
  5. Julia Rae

Hugs I understand.. I had a job interview that did not go well.

6. Jan Radar (GA)

Jan Radar (GA) Well-Known Member

Have you given Squallie some higher carb food to help soften the fall? mixed in with a little honey maybe??

7. pevsfreedom

Sorry about that.

Julia Rae likes this.
  8. Julia Rae

where did this vet get his license a cracker jack box??

9. Critter Mom

Me, too. :bighug:

10. Critter Mom

@Squalliesmom - Please can you test Squallie's BG again and post it here ASAP so we know how things are going with you.

Also, please can you post what Squallie had for breakfast and any food / hi-carb/ honey, etc., that you have given since.

Jan Radar (GA) likes this.
  11. Critter Mom

Sorry to nag, Lucy. Please can you let us know what is happening with you? I'm getting really worried - need to know you're both OK.

Julia Rae likes this.
  12. Julia Rae

Lucy... Hello Lucy are you back??

13. Cat Ma

Cat Ma Well-Known Member

I am not familiar with Vetsulin but shouldn't have Squallie earned a dose reduction today?

14. Julia Rae

Oh ya big time

15. Julia Rae

Im not overly familiar with but it is a lot like Novalin or as much as I can figure, fast acting and harsh.. if I am wrong someone please update me please

16. Critter Mom

@Julia Rae - I hope they're OK. Not knowing what's going on is :nailbiting::nailbiting::nailbiting:.

Are you OK to keep an eye out on the thread, Julia? (I need to duck away). I'd suggest leaving the 911 on the thread for a while to give Lucy time to get back to us. It was tricky to get Squallie to rise yesterday. I'd like members scanning the forum to know that Lucy needs an eye kept out for her.

17. pevsfreedom

She dropped to 22 yesterday on 7 units.

18. Critter Mom

By a country mile!!! And then some. I think the dosing discussion needs to come later so I'll comment on it later. Don't want the beginning of the thread to get too cluttered.

19. Julia Rae

Yes I am and when do you think to be back?? Aine

20. pevsfreedom

I'm assuming she took Squallie to the vet, she said she would if #'s started dropping. Also I believe the vet was quite far from her house.

21. Critter Mom

That's great, Julia. I'm not sure (not so hectic myself today - PTSD symptoms v. bad and just started a new Rx).

pevsfreedom likes this.
  22. Julia Rae

Huggles you take better care of yourself luv...ok??

Critter Mom likes this.
  23. Cat Ma

Cat Ma Well-Known Member

I didn't see the 22 BG drop. I am shocked the vet told her to continue the same dose after the hypo episode. The sad reality is how unfamiliar many vets are in adjusting dosages and treating hypos properly. Thank goodness we have FDMB.

24. Julia Rae

From her condo at 11:11 am yesterday
    Sill dropping, BG at 22

Critter Mom likes this.
  25. pevsfreedom

My vet had never seen a spreadsheet full of #'s and said I probably knew more about dosing then he did... at least he's honest?

Critter Mom likes this.
  26. Julia Rae

That is sad... scary thing is I got pretty much the same reaction from my vet

27. pevsfreedom

(not to clutter the thread) but at one vet we got a fructosamine check done a few months after we got Luna (on 1 unit BID) and they told us she was good to go OTJ and woo-hoo. She said "do not bother getting her tested anymore" and "do not bother with insulin" because she's essentially "cured" and will stay that way. I did not know any better and was gleefully ignorant and 6 weeks later we took in Luna for dental and decided to check her BG and this time fructo levels showed she was at 400+ the entire time with ketones developing like crazy... I then started testing at home the same day, and feel awful for not educating myself earlier.

Julia Rae likes this.
  28. Squalliesmom

Squalliesmom Well-Known Member

Hi, all, thank you to everybody for sticking with me! Just got back from the vet (yes, we went early, I figured if he was going to have more problems, better that it happens there), she wants to put him on 4 units every 8 hours, three times a day. Does this sound reasonable? She says she wants to try this to eliminate the steep highs and lows he's been experiencing. Btw, his BG was 97 at the vet, up a little from the prior reading (I gave him Karo and have cans of gravy food standing by if we need them!) I will test him again in a few minutes to make sure its not starting to drop again.

29. Julia Rae

Your back!

30. Critter Mom

No news from Lucy ... :nailbiting:

I am hoping the reason for the roaring silence is that she has gone to the vet early. I'd suggest leaving the 911 for longer. If there's no news within the next few hours then maybe take it down and wait for news? John and Julia - can you keep an eye on the thread for now and tag me if Lucy posts. Sound like a plan?

pevsfreedom likes this.
  31. Julia Rae

I have never heard of 3 shots per day.. that seems weird!

32. Julia Rae

She is back

33. Squalliesmom

I kind of thought so, too. Seems to me like the overlap intervals could be a problem.

34. Critter Mom

Phew! Very glad to hear from you, Lucy! :)

Honest opinion? With this vet? Not in a million if it were my cat.

She could achieve that result with a more cat-friendly, longer-lasting insulin (e.g. Prozinc, Lantus).

35. Julia Rae

The vet did not lower the dosage at all it is still 12 units just delivered a different way that seems screwy to me but I need the eyes of people who know Vetsulin

36. Critter Mom

TID dosing can be used with Vetsulin/Caninsulin but it is not easy. Why do this when there are better insulins available?

37. pevsfreedom

Yeah I'll hang around though I'm not the most knowledgeable person but I try :joyful: I'm a pro at tagging others for help!

Were you able to discuss an insulin change? Otherwise the 3x a day thing sounds wonky but I have no idea in regards to that insulin. I think a dose reduction is in order hopefully someone with more experience can chime in on that.

38. Critter Mom

If it were my cat, I would (ketone status permitting) cut back to 3.5 IU BID - probably less - until I determined whether the severe hypo had increased his sensitivity to insulin. It should only take a few cycles to check this. No experience of doing this on a highish dose of Vetsulin, BTW, but it is something that I would try in this situation. If sticking with Vetsulin I would not attempt fairly tight regulation; it's too harsh. If I had no other choice but to continue using Vetsulin I would settle for higher nadirs (in the low blue range) for safety reasons, and adjust the dose accordingly.

@BJM - I'd really value your input on this thread if you're around.

Julia Rae likes this.
  39. Elizabeth and Bertie

Elizabeth and Bertie Well-Known Member

Some people using the shorter-acting insulins do give 3 shots a day (I've done it myself). But there should be clear reason for doing it, and I'm not sure that it's been demonstrated here. (Also, it can be easier to use a longer-acting insulin instead - assuming the caregiver has access to that and can afford it).

The most obvious thing at the moment would seem to be that the current dose is way too high. The blood glucose is dropping too fast and too low. Reducing the dose would be a reasonable start.....?

40. Julia Rae

I know with Magellan being sensitive to insulin I would start him with no more than1 unit bid and if needed to go up assuming no ketones.

41. Critter Mom

@Elizabeth and Bertie - The vet's decision today was very poor. I am concerned about her level of expertise in treating FD.

Squalliesmom likes this.
  42. Critter Mom

I'd be very much inclined to do similar, Julia.

Julia Rae likes this.
  43. Julia Rae

I know you have been asked Lucy but what are you feeding ?

Critter Mom likes this.
  44. Squalliesmom

Evo dry and Tiki Cat canned, an occasional can of Friskies Pate thrown in for variety.

45. Critter Mom

Also when you fed what you fed, please, so that we can have a record here and see what works best to raise / keep Squallie in safe numbers.

46. Julia Rae

Are you working towards getting Squallie off of dry kibble??

47. Squalliesmom

His last BG test was 95 so it's coming back up. Sorry if it takes me a long time btw posts, I have Squallie and crew at one end of the house and have the other end opened up hoping my missing kitty will come home. I have to keep running back and forth.

48. Julia Rae

Hugs I understand take what time you need.

Critter Mom likes this.
  49. Critter Mom

Ah, confusion!

Per my above post, can you itemise all that you have fed thus far since this morning's AMPS. Also when you feed / give syrup from now on can you post:

* How long after shot time.
    * What you fed (carb value of food / syrup / honey)
    * How much you fed.

Example:

+5 - fed 6 drops honey
    +6 - fed 1 tsp high carb gravy
    +7 - fed 20g low carb food

50. Critter Mom

More hugs ... :bighug: (You're doing great, Lucy.)

Julia Rae likes this.
  51. Squalliesmom

He gets a half can every morning before his shot, then he'll nibble on dry kibble around the +2 and +4 hour marks. Then he gets another half can, his shot, and then will usually nibble again around the +1 / +2 mark. He is a kibble junkie.

52. pevsfreedom

There's a missing kitty on top of all this? :arghh:

53. Squalliesmom

Trying, but he hates the wet food.

54. Squalliesmom

Yes, my beloved Bengal boy. Killing me.

55. Julia Rae

I understand kibble junkie but imho it would be best to stop feeding kibble as it is too high carb. Squallie may be carb sensitive

Critter Mom likes this.
  56. Julia Rae

Huggles and snuggles....I am sure he will come home how long has he been awol?

57. Elizabeth and Bertie

I do find it worrying that the vet hasn't suggested lowering the dose. :(
    And I do feel for Lucy... We know how hard it is when the vet says one thing and 'those (potential) crazies on the internet' say something different...

My thoughts are that the dose should be lowered and the numbers allowed to settle out a bit. Chances are that the numbers will level a bit anyway once the steep drops and (possible) bounces are reduced.

58. Squalliesmom

Yes, I'll try. Give me a couple of minutes to clear my head from all the upset.

Critter Mom likes this.
  59. Critter Mom

Thanks for that info, Lucy. However, I still need you to post what you're feeding as you go along in this cycle. We need to know which foods / syrup were given at what point in the cycle and the effect they're having on Squallies blood glucose in real time. Without this information, any suggestions we make if you get stuck might not be as good as they could be. (We don't want to suggest something that might make Squallie too full, or to make him vomit if he gets too much in one go.)

Hope I've explained what we need a bit better this time.

60. Critter Mom

I feel for you. You're really going through the mill at the moment. Sit down and take some long, slow deep breaths. (A cup of sweet tea might help - good for shock.)

:bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

61. pevsfreedom

If he doesn't come back in next 24 hours I would get 2 or 3 of these traps from Wal-mart maybe. The local shelter SHOULD let you borrow 2-3 of them for free if you leave a credit card with them, I'm sure you can find some to use for free. My mom has 4-5 on loan from a place called Rescue Nation here and she paid $0 for borrowing them (she does fix & release). Maybe make some calls if you don't have the money to buy a few. One is better then zero also. Our roommate let Mushu out on accident last year and he was gone for 3 weeks and I set 3 traps up right outside the house with tuna inside and we caught him after 22 days.

http://www.amazon.com/Havahart-1079-Professional-Style-One-Door-Groundhog/dp/B00004RAMT/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1438893079&sr=8-1&keywords=cat trap

Maybe you can delegate this task over to your son if he has free time since you're so concerned with Squallie. Just needs to find the traps and set them up once/twice a day. Trapping is best way to get your cat back.

62. Elizabeth and Bertie

Does your missing kitty usually go outside, Lucy?
    If not then he may be showing 'displaced' behaviour. He may not have wandered far at all, but may actually be hunkered down and hiding somewhere close by. He may not respond to your voice at the moment, but may well be able to hear it.
    Do you have food and water out? Litter tray and/or bedding that smells of him? Clothing that smells of you? Is there anyone you can borrow a trap from...?

Edited to add: Just saw that Pevsfreedom gave a lot of info about traps above.

63. Squalliesmom

Way too long, almost a full day now. He never misses a meal, so something is wrong.

64. Libby and Lucy

Libby and Lucy Senior Member Moderator

we have a nice Vetsulin User Guide on our Vetsulin forum: Caninsulin/Vetsulin User Guide. I suggest that you take a look at that, as well as the original "Start Low Go Slow" approach that was created with insulins like Vetsulin and Humulin N in mind.

These links should give you a good start toward understanding your insulin and should help you come up with the questions you need to ask. Shooting three times a day is certainly a possibility and can be used very successfully with Vetsulin. It's pretty hard on the caregivers, though, so most people use it as a last resort.

For what it's worth, lack of duration is one thing that can make numbers shoot up at the end of the cycle. That problem can be helped by shooting more often. However, another thing that can make the numbers shoot up so high is if he is going too low or dropping too fast. Then the body feels compelled to dump extra sugar and hormones into the system to protect itself from hypo. I'm oversimplifying, but you get the idea. If that is the problem, then the solution would be to make him not drop so low or so fast by reducing the dose. It might be helpful to reduce the dose AND shoot more often, as your vet suggested, but a more conservative approach might be to try one of those things, see how it works, and decide if you need or want to add the other thing. Especially if you are extra stressed right now. Just a thought.

65. Critter Mom

As I posted at the end of Lucy's condo from yesterday, it was a HOWLING error. She should not have instructed Lucy to give a dose that was known to have produced a severe hypo. (I'm wondering if the vet is using a sliding scale for Vetsulin based on preshot and completely ignoring nadir? One of Saoirse's (ex) vets told me that was how she did it. (You know the type: their way or the highway, kitty cornflakes, and nooooooooooo home testing. ;) ) Frankly, given Vetsulin's action profile, I feel uneasy on that high a dose to see nadirs - some of them rather late - well into the greens. There's also evidence in Lucy's data that Squallie's getting significant carryover from that 7IU dose.

I concur.

Squalliesmom likes this.
  66. Squalliesmom

I have a trap set up, but I think something has happened to him. I don't think he's coming back. Breaking my heart, he's my baby.

67. Squalliesmom

He only goes out when he sneaks out, he's not supposed to go outside at all.

68. Squalliesmom

He's never ever been gone more than a couple of hours.

69. Cat Ma

Cat Ma Well-Known Member

Put some food out and alert your neighbors to do the same. Good advice from others above. "Missing Cat" signs help too.

Though the vet BG # was good, it was likely higher than what your home reading will be so it will be helpful to re-check Squallie's BG #'s again and keep updating here so expert members can advise.

70. Julia Rae

So what is the decision Lucy in regards to the insulin??

71. Squalliesmom

Okay: half a small can of wet food pre-shot AM/ 0 carbs
    +2 Evo kibble about a quarter cup 8 carbs
    Honestly, I just left the dry food dish with him and let him eat as he chose because I was looking for Khoji at that time, as well
    Tested at +2 and he had dropped a lot, from 417 to 104
    Tested again at +3, was down to 86
    Tested at +4, was 53
    Fed a dropper of Karo syrup (prob about 1/2 tsp) and loaded him up for the vet's, Karo, gravy food and test kit in hand

Critter Mom likes this.
  72. Squalliesmom

I just checked him a little bit ago, he was at 95

Critter Mom likes this.
  73. Julia Rae

looking good, a lot better than yesterday, looks like your low point is +4 or+5...

74. Squalliesmom

I'm going to check him pre-shot tonight and if warranted, give him 4 units. I will monitor him and then see where his BG numbers are AMPS (8 hrs ffrom PMPS). If they're high, and provided he had a good night with no huge drops, I will give him another 4 units. Then repeat the process 8 hrs hence. If I think he will go too low I will not shoot. And then I'm sure I'll come here asking for more advice!

Critter Mom likes this.
  75. Cat Ma

Cat Ma Well-Known Member

My suggestion is to wait and have some experts here advise about shooting/dose.

76. Julia Rae

That works as long as you have a plan in place

77. Squalliesmom

Me too, I think I know more than her, and that's not much at all!

Critter Mom likes this.
  78. Squalliesmom

You guys aren't the crazies, it's the vet!

79. Julia Rae

Then why are you following her directions and not listening to your guts and hart. I know it is sooo very scary to go against vet instructions trust me been there and bought the shirt. My best advise is to listen to your fur baby, your own hart and the advise here and make your OWN decision as to what to do. As for advise if you need something clarified or explained but when it is the time.. it is you your cat and the insulin and no matter what anyone says YOU have to make the choices.

Vegetable (GA) and Squalliesmom like this.
  80. Critter Mom

The irony! The irony!!

;)

81. Squalliesmom

Taking a breather to go look for my missing baby again, be back shortly.

82. Julia Rae

I hope I did not come off as to harsh or negative I can be a bit mean at times.

Critter Mom likes this.
  83. Julia Rae

I am developing a migraine and need to lay down a bit.

84. Critter Mom

Really sorry to hear that, Julia. I've only had one migraine headache in my life (triggered by SSRI withdrawal). Agony! I had no idea how much migraine sufferers go through. I hope you can head off the worst of it, Julia. :bighug:

85. Critter Mom

@Squalliesmom - When are you testing again? (Poor Squallie's ears ... felt so sorry for him when I read your post earlier. :( )

86. Critter Mom

Anyone else still monitoring this thread? I need backup.

87. Lorraine Edwards

Lorraine Edwards Member

Hi im here just been reading whats been happening, you ok critter mom? Ive got some experience with caninsulin with Molly, I will do my best to help if needed

88. Critter Mom

Hi Lorraine,

Thank you very much for your reply. :bighug:

I can't stay the whole way through the cycle. My PTSD symptoms got a lot worse over the last few days so my GP has put me on beta blockers. I'm feeling really groggy. Would you be able to take over keeping an eye on Lucy?

89. Shiloh & Rhonda (GA)

Shiloh & Rhonda (GA) Well-Known Member

Sorry Aine, I am here too. Just don't know anything about cannisulin.

Critter Mom likes this.
  90. Lorraine Edwards

Lorraine Edwards Member

Oh sorry to hear your having a tough time, you need some rest, I can certainly keep an eye out for a while, unfortunately got to get up for early breakfasts, but hopefully others will join again. Look after yourself x

Critter Mom likes this.
  91. Maggies Mom Debby

Maggies Mom Debby Well-Known Member

Lucy is out looking for her other cat who is missing. TWO crisis happening at the same time!

92. Lorraine Edwards

Lorraine Edwards Member

Hi Rhonda, my molly was on caninsulin so I have some experience but thankfully she was only on it for 5 weeks , but I know how I found the best way to work with it. so I will help if needed to

Critter Mom likes this.
  93. Shiloh & Rhonda (GA)

Hi Lorraine. Nice to see you! So glad Molly is still OTJ! I think she was the first kitty I saw go OTJ after I joined.

Squalliesmom likes this.
  94. Lorraine Edwards

Lorraine Edwards Member

oh how lovely :cat:3 months now but I couldn't have done it without you guys!!

Squalliesmom likes this.
  95. Libby and Lucy

Libby and Lucy Senior Member Moderator

you know what I would do tonight? I would skip the shot, or at most give a teeny tiny shot so you can look for your other kitty without worrying about hypo. That is assuming Squallie isn't ketone prone, but you haven't mentioned that yet so I'm hoping that means he's not. He'll probably go high tonight, but he'll recover just as quickly.

One of our members recently used a pet detective to help find her missing cat. They did it all by email and phone. I'll see if I can find the info. He was within sight of her condo the whole time but was hiding and too scared to come out.

Cat Ma, Squalliesmom and Critter Mom like this.
  96. Shiloh & Rhonda (GA)

Libby, the cat's name was Joplin. I found the post of FB, but can't figure out how to copy the link.

97. JenzyandtheFurkids

JenzyandtheFurkids Member

It sounds reasonable. But maybe even more reasonable to switch to an insulin without such a steep drop and low nadir. Lantus, levemir or compounded bovine PZI are my top 3 choices. All of these are closer to feline insulin than vetsulin so you need to decrease the total daily dose starting out if you switch.

Critter Mom likes this.
  98. Shiloh & Rhonda (GA)

99. Critter Mom

Hi Lucy,

Saying prayers that Khoji will be home soon ...

When you get a chance, please let us know how you're getting on and what Squallie's BG is doing.

100. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Giving 4 units shouldn't drop him nearly as much, but I'd want to monitor around +3 to +4 for the likely nadir.
    Dosing TID with the 12 units spread out actually might work as Vetsulin/Caninsulin lasts roughly 8-10 hours, so there'd be a bit of overlap to help keep the glucose from skyrocketing.

Squalliesmom likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.