08/24 Grandpa vet visit BG 58 (AT meter); 85 after eating; 127 at +1; 182 @1.5

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Beck and Philly, Aug 24, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Beck and Philly

Beck and Philly Well-Known Member

Yesterday

5:30 am
    He is eating a can of food now - Friskies Tasty Treasures (13% carbs). I'm hoping this will bring his numbers up. He ate more than half of the can and all of the gravy.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2018
  2. LizzieInTexas

LizzieInTexas Well-Known Member

How is he acting?

3. Beck and Philly

He was laying on the bed with me when I woke up, and he was awake and looking at me. I left the room for a minute and when I came back he was eating last night's leftover wet food. I tested him and saw the 58. I opened a can with gravy and he ate as if he was very hungry. I took it away after he ate about 1/2 a can, and we tested again. He was at 85. Now he seems to be going to sleep. He's at 127 an hour after the first test.

We put the special non-absorbent litter in his box last night to check ketones since he hasn't felt well, but it doesn't look like he peed at all overnight. On Tuesday and Wednesday he drank water more frequently than normal. Yesterday I didn't see him drink much. We gave him subQ fluids before bed last night.

LizzieInTexas likes this.
  4. LizzieInTexas

Glad he came up for you. I have no advise on dosing this morning. I would have held off on the gravy/food and retested to see if he was coming up on his own - then you would have known if it was "on-his-own" - now you don't know if it is the gravy or if he would have started coming up on his own.

I would retest in 30 min from his last test. Can you delay shot time any?

5. Beck and Philly

I work from home so I can make anything work time-wise.

I'm not sure how to record this morning's numbers on his SS. His regular AMPS is at 6:30 am. We did the first test this morning at 5 am, the second at 5:30, the third at 6 am. Do these go at yesterday's +11 or today's AMPS?

6. LizzieInTexas

Yes.

7. Squalliesmom

Squalliesmom Well-Known Member

Whoa, Grandpa! Swim away from those sharks!

funny-cat-scared-by-shark-animated-gif.gif

Glad to see he's come back up, Becky! :bighug::bighug::bighug:

8. Beck and Philly

My favorite vet had an opening at 8 am so I took Grandpa. We did a CBC panel which I'll post if anyone wants to see. Surprisingly, his numbers are pretty much unchanged from the panel we did a couple months ago when the tests were being done that led to his cancer diagnosis. That was the reasonably good news.

The doc thinks Grandpa's food splurge Sunday night brought on gastritis and likely a flare of pancreatitis. That's why he vomited on Monday and hasn't had a great appetite. Ugh! I knew I shouldn't have left food out when I went to sleep!

The hardest part to hear today was that she can now feel the abdominal mass/masses. She said they've gotten noticeably larger. She never recommends euthanizing an animal who is still present and alert, but she cautioned me that his time is getting closer. She said that he has been such a trooper, he doesn't deserve to suffer at the end. I told her that I won't let him suffer.

PussCatPrince - GA likes this.
  9. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

For you and Grandpa: :bighug::bighug:

Beck and Philly likes this.
  10. Beck and Philly

Thanks, Kris! I needed that right now.

Krystina & Nelli likes this.
  11. Squalliesmom

Oh Becky, I'm so sorry that the masses have gotten larger. Sending all the (((hugs))) I can :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug: plus some! :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:…..My heart is with you and Grandpa. ❤️

12. Beth 73

Beth 73 Well-Known Member

❤️:bighug:❤️:bighug: Hugs and prayers to you both , Beck :bighug: You and Grandpa will handle it all in strength and wisdom :bighug:

13. Beck and Philly

Thanks, Lucy! Trying to regroup, gather my thoughts and emotions, and keep going. Hugs to you and Squallie, too!

Squalliesmom likes this.
  14. Beck and Philly

You're awesome. Thanks for being so supportive! Hugs!

Beth 73 likes this.
  15. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

I’m sorry about the news. I’m wondering if the experimental drug Deanna is using for Billie or prednisolone might help? Deanna posted about it a day or two ago. :bighug:

16. JoyBee&Ravan

JoyBee&Ravan Well-Known Member

I dislike people teasing their cats like that. Why stress the poor animal out. I do not find stuff like that funny.

17. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

Huge hugs to you and Grandpa. Walking along side in spirit.

18. Pamela & Amethyst

Pamela & Amethyst Well-Known Member

:bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:love light and healing

JoyBee&Ravan and Beck and Philly like this.
  19. Squalliesmom

You are right. I did not mean to offend anyone.

ETA: I will be glad to delete it, if Becky would like me to.

20. Jill & Jade

Jill & Jade Well-Known Member

Sending love to you ......:bighug:

21. Beck and Philly

Completely up to you. I didn't see anything offensive and appreciated the thought behind it, but if it bothers anyone, I've seen it and am okay either way.

22. Beck and Philly

Thanks! I'll look for the post you mention.

23. Amanda and a Loudogg

Amanda and a Loudogg Well-Known Member

Sending you and Grandpa nothing but good thoughts, healing energy, and plenty of hugs and scritches. :bighug::bighug::bighug:

24. LizzieInTexas

Lol. Wonder what that did to the poor cats BG numbers. :joyful::joyful::joyful:

25. LizzieInTexas

Funny story about helium balloons and Gizmo... when he was young and healthy and played all the time I would buy a helium balloon for him when I went to the store on the weekend. I would tie one of his toy mice to the string. The mice were just heavy enough that, when tied to the balloon, they would kinda float from the floor to about 18" off the floor. He had so much fun with that set up.

26. Beck and Philly

So if he ever saw a real mouse I wonder if he expected it to take flight.

PussCatPrince - GA likes this.
  27. Beck and Philly

My favorite way to end the day. 20180824_213935.jpg

28. Beth 73

❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️. I had a feeling there was a nighty night Grandpa photo . Hugs and prayers to you both , Beck :bighug::bighug:

29. Noah & me (GA)

Noah & me (GA) Well-Known Member

When we used to watch AFV I've seen cats fall into aquariums and the audience went wild with laughter. Somewhere in the world there are still bears riding bicycles. Let's just let it pass.
    Are you sure that was a shark? It's penguins that fly isn't it? Someone actually corrected me on that once.
    @Beck and Grandpa Do you remember when you first came here and I told you the story of our "cancer" dog who wasn't losing weight. It was a cyst the oncologist felt. I could have strangled her for that, a month before Christmas. Sweet dreams Grandpa. You too Lucy.

Beth 73 likes this.
  30. Beck and Philly

Sweet dreams to all of you and your wonderful collective fur families.

Kris & Teasel and Phoebes (GA) like this.
  31. Phoebes (GA)

Phoebes (GA) Well-Known Member

Goodnight Grandpa, good night momma bean

32. Noah & me (GA)

Phhht! Phoebes, is that your tail in momma's face. Momma needs her beauty sleep.
    Me too.

Phoebes (GA) likes this.
  33. Phoebes (GA)

Phoebes (GA) Well-Known Member

Night Dickson!! Give Noah head rubs

Noah & me (GA) likes this.
  34. Beth 73

All we need now is “ night , John Boy” and our night is complete :)

Noah & me (GA) and LizzieInTexas like this.
  35. Beck and Philly

Night Elizabeth! (Had to.)

36. Beth 73

:joyful: :joyful: :joyful: :joyful: .....good one , Beck :bighug:

Noah & me (GA) likes this.
  37. Noah & me (GA)

And Mary Ellen. I think she baked me a pie once.

Beth 73 likes this.
  38. Noah & me (GA)

Your Saturday piece of fluff.
    What do Judy Norton Taylor (sweet Mary Ellen) and the singers Debbie Gibson and Jewel all have in common? They all appeared in Playboy. Mary Ellen wanted to shed her wholesome image, the other two I don't know. Echh! That seems like 100 years ago. I think I need a shower. Sorry for putting that thought in your head.:oops:

Beth 73 and Beck and Philly like this.
  39. Beck and Philly

I agree with you on most things, but here we differ. I never liked Mary Ellen. She was the whiny Walton. If the Brady Bunch lived on Walton's Mountain, she would've been Marsha. Somehow Mary Ellen, Mary Ellen, Mary Ellen doesn't have the same cadence.

Beth 73 likes this.
  40. Noah & me (GA)

Marsh Marsha Marsha! I always wanted to whisper in Marsha's ear "Maybe you're just not that pretty".
    I have a confession to make. You know the husband who forbids his wife from cutting her hair or buys her stupid and cheap lingerie. Cynthia has a pair of 20 year old beaten up overalls and when she comes down the stairs in those she is my Goddess. I also have a weakness for long heavy skirts. Her prized possession is the embroidered Scooby Doo denim shirt I brought back from Universal Park in Florida. What a pig I am.

41. Noah & me (GA)

How is Grandpa, how are you? Okay, enough about that. Let's talk about me!

42. Beck and Philly

Ha!!!! What would we do without you around here?

I think you have exactly the right attitude, and I'm sure Cynthia agrees. One of my prized possessions is a 30- year old Micky Mouse sweatshirt that says West Virginia, my home state. It never struck me until now how little sense that shirt makes since WV has plenty of rodents, but Micky isn't one of them.

Beth 73 likes this.
  43. Beth 73

44. Noah & me (GA)

It would be quiet and threads would be relevant to their original intent. Sounds like an old age home with mushy food.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 26, 2018
    Reason for edit: shorter, more to the point
    Beth 73 likes this.
  45. JoyBee&Ravan

JoyBee&Ravan Well-Known Member

@Noah & me (GA)
    I'm not sure i understand what you mean,"I need us to be OK on this matter." I was just stating my opinion. I recently asked someone to remove a video off my post. I find videos of animals being teased or frightened offensive.
    I'm surprised anyone on the forum finds this type of video FUNNY or Entertaining. I'm not sure if you agree with me or are criticizing me for my comment. I'm 71 years old & have Always been out spoken about defending all animals.

If someone can post a video I find offensive I don't see why I don't have the same right to comment on it? It didn't take "Guts" to say "That's not Funny" I've never hesitated to defend animals!

I wasn't trying to offend anyone. Maybe trying to get them to "see" this type of video in a different Light?

46. Jill & Alex (GA)

Jill & Alex (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Perhaps, but there's another side to this coin which has not been given due diligence. This forum is busier than most. The most experienced of folks available for comment on L,B, & L use are few. It's important for these folks to be able to get through threads to answer questions and offer suggestions and advice on a timely basis. While a certain amount of off-topic chatter, non-nonsensical or otherwise, is essential to the very being and core of any community (and we certainly do not want to discourage it)... there has to be a balance of chit-chat and being able to find questions that need to be answered and/or caregivers who need help because their kitty is traveling in low numbers or looking for some other form of help.

Some chit-chat is ok, but please try to keep it to a minimum in daily threads. The volunteers who are helping have lives outside of the FDMB… friends, jobs, families, and other obligations. They only have so much time to spend in the Lantus, Basaglar, & Levemir ISG. If their time is taken up wading through lengthy threads with non-feline diabetes related material they may never find the questions you or someone else want answered... or their time has been taken up reading non-essential material which has left them with no more time to spend helping others on the board that day.

The solution? We have two! Rebecca, our Webmaster and site owner, graciously, although reluctantly, approved a single daily chit-chat thread in our ISG (Rebecca prefers off topic chit chat to be posted in the board's Community & Off Topic Forum). We named the off-topic thread "Loose Lips". Anyone can start the daily "Loose Lips" thread. Please check to see if someone else has put one up for the day before starting multiple Loose Lips threads. Everyone can post in the daily Loose Lips thread once it is started. Our daily "Loose Lips" thread and the FDMB's Community & Off Topic Forum are the places for social butterflies to gather. Please take advantage of these social outlets so everyone can receive the help they're looking for.

Thank you for taking this post in the spirit intended...
    Jill :)

47. PussCatPrince - GA

PussCatPrince - GA Well-Known Member

Something I think I know. +11

You're ace Beck. More pics of Grandpa please. He's gorgeous.
    Troopers are the best & I hope he has more troopering in him for a bit of a while. :bighug:

Last edited: Aug 26, 2018
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.