? 09/01/18 Squallie QUESTION RE: SEB

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Squalliesmom, Sep 1, 2018.

1. Squalliesmom

Squalliesmom Well-Known Member

I was thinking about maybe giving Squallie SEB to help keep the steroids from causing ulcers. I know it should not be given within 2 hours or so of other oral meds. What I don't know is whether or not it is okay to give while he is also taking Carafate, famotidine, and prednisolone. I wouldn't think it would be a problem, but just want to make sure. He starts those meds tomorrow, so I thought I'd start the SEB tonight, if it's not contraindicated.

Beth 73 likes this.
  2. Squalliesmom

Also, should the above mentioned meds be given with food or on an empty stomach? Should have asked the vet, didn't think of it at the time. :rolleyes:

3. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

I'm not sure about the SEB or the meds. Just wanted to send more prayers for you and Squallie. :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

Squalliesmom likes this.
  4. Beth 73

Beth 73 Well-Known Member

Lucy , I’d think tonight would definitely be fine and I’d google the rest to see what you can find and/or hopefully others here will weigh in. . Give sweet Squallie Bear big hugs and kisses from me . He is a fighter..so proud of you both :bighug: Praying without ceasing :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

Squalliesmom likes this.
  5. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

I gave SEB and steroids but just made sure the times were really separate. Are you giving the pred once a day? I don’t know about famotidine and SEB but I have never read any cautions on either of them to preempt their use provided you are using them separated by two hours.

Carafate is supposed to coat the intestines and tummy. It should be more effective than SEB.

One thing....famotidine does have a caution that cats with heart rhythm issues should not get it but should get ranitidine instead. I know Squallie has a murmur. I also know you are just triaging but I wanted you to be aware.

6. Squalliesmom

Thanks, Marje. :bighug::bighug::bighug: He has a very slight murmur, the vet can't always hear it, and he got cleared from the echo to have the dental surgery, so I'm guessing they don't think it's a problem, but I will most definitely check with my vet. I wish this wasn't a holiday weekend! Why is it that we always need something from the vet on holidays when they are closed???? Maddening!

ETA: I know the Carafate coats the stomach too, but I thought the SEB might soothe it and provide a little extra protection. Do you think I should not give both?

Marje and Gracie and Beth 73 like this.
  7. Marje and Gracie

Honestly....I really don’t know the answer to giving carafate and SEB.

Squalliesmom likes this.
  8. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

Prayers and hugs to Squallie. :bighug::bighug::bighug:

Squalliesmom likes this.
  9. Squalliesmom

Should the carafate be given in a separate time frame from other meds, like SEB is?

10. Marje and Gracie

I would think so since it coats the digestive tract.

Squalliesmom likes this.
  11. Beck and Philly

Beck and Philly Well-Known Member

Carafate needs to be on an empty stomach at least one hour before or two hours after eating.

Squalliesmom likes this.
  12. Squalliesmom

Thanks, Becky! :bighug::bighug::bighug:

Beck and Philly likes this.
  13. Squalliesmom

Thanks, Marje! :bighug::bighug::bighug:

Marje and Gracie likes this.
  14. Squalliesmom

@Beck and Grandpa So I'm guessing it's the same as with SEB, don't give the other oral meds until about 2 hours after the Carafate?

15. Squalliesmom

What about the famotidine? With food? Without? Not at the same time as the carafate?

16. Beth 73

Beth 73 Well-Known Member

After googling carafate it sounds like it mainly coats any ulcer areas, sticks to the ulcers ...not sure if it coats the whole GI as SEB does . :bighug: Googled carafate vs SEB ... might check that info out , Lucy :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug: Sorry , I am a crummy cutter and paster:(

Squalliesmom likes this.
  17. Squalliesmom

I tried googling Carafate vs SEB, all I got was info about SEB. :( stoopid interwebs :banghead:

18. PussCatPrince - GA

PussCatPrince - GA Well-Known Member

Ums.

Go. To. Bed. Zzz.

I can google time clocks y'know.

Squalliesmom likes this.
  19. Beck and Philly

For ny CKD cats my vet just always stressed carafate on an empty stomach. I have always given famotidine in food although that wouldn't get it in place to help with the meal I'm feeding at the time.

20. Bellasmom

Bellasmom Well-Known Member

Sending healing vines and prayers:bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:
    Sorry I don’t know the answers to the med questions or can give any advice

Squalliesmom likes this.
  21. Squalliesmom

I just gave him his carafate, thinking this would be a good time when his stomach was empty, and giving me enough time between now and breakfast for it to go to work. But now I see evidence that he may have gotten into some food while I was asleep, it wouldn’t have been much, just a couple of mouthfuls, but still, not an empty stomach. Do you think this is a problem? Honestly, I’m so stressed about all this that I just can’t think straight!

22. Squalliesmom

Lol, I gave up sleeping years ago.

23. PussCatPrince - GA

PussCatPrince - GA Well-Known Member

Not good. you need my bloke. He can send you into a stupor talking sport.

Okays.I shall have to start telling you bad Christmas cracker jokes or make singing/wailing tapes or summat. Or posting up sleep vids and tapes.

Luce. He ate a bit and then took the med? It's fine. It will still find any potential stomach lining irritant and ulceration and act on that. That's what it does. A bit like glue I spose. It may just be a bit less effective this dose.

SEB works differently. It works on acids to sooth & gives a more overall coating. Give that maybe with a little food but away in time from other oral meds ( as in BP tabs etc ) as the coating hinders absorption of the meds because it helps reduce acid and reflux.

Squalliesmom likes this.
  24. Bobbie And Bubba

Bobbie And Bubba Well-Known Member

Hey Lucy, I don't know anything about Carafate. What I think I would do is research just Carafate and see if there are any potential side effects. If there are you might want to just to the SEB because as far as I know, there are no side effects. And as Beth said, it will coat the whole digestive tract and help with constipation too. JMHO.

25. Squalliesmom

Thanks, M. Yes, sports stuff most definitely sends me into a stupor, lol.

I just didn’t know if it would be beneficial to give SEB as well, now that he’s at greater risk of stomach irritation or ulcers. I know about not giving it with other meds, drove myself crazy scheduling it around other meds for one of my civvies, ugh.

I found a picture of Squallie at the gym working out, I thought you might like to see it.
    E5523094-4F12-4C9E-998E-A84F26344793.jpeg
    :bighug::bighug::bighug: from me and Squallie

26. Squalliesmom

Thanks, Bobbie, already googled it, lol. No really bad side effects that I think will be a problem for him, at least not at the moment., thankfully! :bighug::bighug::bighug:

27. Beck and Philly

No worries! I forgot and gave it with food and/or with other meds more than once. It is most important not to give it with other medications, I believe. Not that it is going to react badly as much as it prevents the other meds from absorbing and makes them ineffective.

28. Squalliesmom

Thanks, Beck! That's what I thought, but it's nice to have confirmation from someone who has used it before! Hugs to you and gentle scritches to fellow Maryland Super Senior Grandpa!

PussCatPrince - GA likes this.
  29. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

My kind of workout! He's such a pretty boy.

Squalliesmom likes this.
  30. Squalliesmom

Thanks! :D

31. HWright

HWright Well-Known Member

Hey Lucy,
    A vet suggested carafate (sucrulfate) for Azalea. I don’t remember the sequence between meals but I had to crush the pill, mix it with broth and orally syringe it bc azalea couldn’t do pills. If Squallie’s poops begin to be chalk colored, it’s cuz of the carafate. That’s what happened with Azalea. While she was on it. When she wasn’t on it, her poop color returned to her normal color.
    Vines vines vines.

PussCatPrince - GA likes this.