09/05/18 Texas Gizmo PMPS=95, +2=140, +4.5=143

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by LizzieInTexas, Sep 5, 2018.

1. LizzieInTexas

LizzieInTexas Well-Known Member

09/04

AMPS=148

I wish someone could tell me if he will adjust to the new protein and his numbers will reflect that. The new Ziwipeak Venison has 3% carb. The Whole Earth Duck has 4% carb. I am currently mixing the two about 50/50 but his numbers are holding flat. If I was off for two weeks I would definitely increase to "test" if more insulin would help. As it was, I was going to increase early this week but he got to 48 last Friday so I held off (100% duck food).

Do different proteins influence BG differently?

I guess the reason I am confused is that sometimes the 16% carb gravy doesn't bring him up (when low) at all and yet he seems to be "carb" sensitive to different protein even if it is lower carbs??

IDK. o_Oo_O

Happy hump day.:bighug:

2. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

I don't know about the carb sensitivity with different proteins. I hope you can figure things out. You may just have to wait and see how things go. Nice start today. :cool:

LizzieInTexas likes this.
  3. Chubba (GA)

Chubba (GA) Well-Known Member

Hmm ... good question. I’ve often wondered that myself, but don’t have an answer. I hope Gizmo heads to the lagoon for you today.

4. Bobbie And Bubba

Bobbie And Bubba Well-Known Member

That's a good question. I do remember when I was in ProZinc forum, it was said that beef had been noted to raise kitties BG. ( also makes a lot of kitties throw up) I don't know about the other proteins. I do know that duck is a richer protein so maybe it could influence the BG's differently.

I hope others weigh in and someone knows something definitively to answer your question.

PussCatPrince - GA likes this.
  5. LizzieInTexas

Well, I guess venison would be closest to beef - it isn't really raising his BG - it seems that the Lantus isn't "grabbing" like it was on just 100% duck. If you look last night his +5 was 168 and this morning AMPS was 148 - which means he is dropping and holding after his last wet food @ +4.5.

I am hesitating to increase for fear that the epogen is influencing and come Thursday PM/Friday AM he will drop like he has the past few weeks.

Bobbie And Bubba likes this.
  6. LizzieInTexas

+3=130

Well that is encouraging. A drop in BG #'s - I am hoping that it is just taking his body a bit to get used to the new protein. Maybe??

7. LizzieInTexas

+5=90

Whoop!! :D

CassAndGordy(GA) likes this.
  8. Beth 73

Beth 73 Well-Known Member

Yes :D :) :bighug: !!!!

LizzieInTexas likes this.
  9. LizzieInTexas

PMPS=95

History:
    AMPS=148, +3=130, +5=90, +6=83, +8=81, +11=92

CassAndGordy(GA) likes this.
  10. Chubba (GA)

11. LizzieInTexas

Right? :D

I was really hoping it was just him getting used to the different food. Poor baby seems like he is in pain though. I hate pancreatitis :( I will give another tiny dose of pain meds after +4.5 food. I have to talk with Dr. Jen about some transdermal pain meds or something different than what I have. It just seems too strong, even the tiny bit I give.

PussCatPrince - GA likes this.
  12. Chubba (GA)

Poor kitty. I hope he feels better soon. Why can’t everything just go smoothly. :bighug:

13. Bobbie And Bubba

Wow! Nice number for PMPS Gizmo!

Lizzie, why do you think he's in pain, mea tloafing, sleeping in a different place than normal, or hiding?

How is his eating ?

14. LizzieInTexas

When he lays down he is very slow doing it. He puts his butt down and then kinda walks his front legs out. Then it seems he can get comfortable. Sometimes he will meatloaf and then lay over on his side. He is also letgargic.

ETA-he also has that "look" in his eyes.

15. Bobbie And Bubba

ugh, that is what Forrest has been doing the last couple of days...... Hugs Lizzie! :bighug:

16. LizzieInTexas

:bighug::bighug:

I might think it is arthritis but the way he jumps (onto the bed, onto the dresser, up to his perch) and running up/down stairs, it might be some of it but my gut say pancreatitis. Eating is good. Kinda strange that-that issue has changed. Seems there is more pain vs. nausea lately. If he isn't eating I can usually get him to. He is all but off the daily Cerenia and Ondan. I am only giving if I really feel he needs it or if I am giving Mirtz (jic).

17. Bobbie And Bubba

I don't know......if he's eating.......you could be right and that it is some arthritis and maybe the pain is intermittent. It is with me some days..... usually with the P'titis the appy stops and there is vomiting and diarrhea. At least that has been my experience.

18. LizzieInTexas

He rarely ever has diarrhea (last time was food change). He has vomited 2x in the past couple of weeks. First time was either the potassium or he ate too fast, 2nd time he clearly didn't feel good (last Saturday). Before these 2x's he hasn't vomited in years. But his labs usually indicate pancreatitis is always lurking.

Pooing is regular and well formed and moist. Usually 1x/day. Currently not adding any Miralax (haven't been for quite a while). So overall I think we are doing ok managing his health, all things considering.

19. Beth 73

Beth 73 Well-Known Member

“Doing ok “?!?!?! No, dearest momma bean, you are doing fantastic :bighug:❤️

20. LizzieInTexas

:kiss:

Thanks friend :bighug::smuggrin:

Beth 73 likes this.
  21. Bronx's dad (GA)

Bronx's dad (GA) Well-Known Member

Lizzie certainly is, Gizmo is a very lucky kitty!

LizzieInTexas and Beth 73 like this.