09/11 Shmee AMBG 215, very mean and unlike himself this morning

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Amanda & Shmee, Sep 11, 2018.

1. Amanda & Shmee

Amanda & Shmee Well-Known Member

Previous condo

Hi everyone,
    I am so drained and depressed this morning. I want to call off work so bad but I have used so much time off already... Shmee was not like himself at all this morning. He didn't want to get up off his chair to eat, it was kind of cold this morning and he was bundled up so I just thought he might not want to get up so I brought his food to him. He ate it all, but towards the end he started to growl a little... thought that was weird, made me concerned so I started to pet him and he swatted at me and hissed a little. He has NEVER been mean to me. Except last night at the vet.... He gets his Desmopressin shot after his AM and PM meals, well he wouldn't even let me touch him so I backed off. His old self is so lovey and my best friend. I am so beat down...

Some possibilities I'm thinking....
    Did he see the shot and just not want me to poke him? He has meowed a little for this shot before.... I am wondering if it stings. But I came back without the shot and tried to love him and he was still totally mean and didn't want me to touch him.
    Is he remembering last night at the vet and has become traumatized?
    Is he in pain? His last gaba was yesterday at 4 o'clock for the 6 o'clock vet appointment. The vet said I can stop with the Gaba since he has been doing good, to see if he is still in pain if he comes off of it.
    Is this a new side effect of his new personality after this surgery?

I miss my old cat. All I keep thinking this morning is I wish I did not do this surgery. I feel so bad for him and I want my (seemingly) healthy, lovey cat back. I am wondering if I did more harm than good. I can't stop crying and I don't want to work.

Ana & Frosty (GA) and JeffJ like this.
  2. Sue and Luci

Sue and Luci Well-Known Member

Awww...I feel so badly for you...but he's not himself - you know that....try to think of him as just a baby... doesn't know what he's doing or saying right now...He's retreating...maybe it would be best if you went to work...leave him to himself so he can relax and rest up without thinking he's in some kind of danger. Luci hissed and growled at me (rarely does she do that) after she saw the vet the last time. I do think that all messes with their heads...

Hang in there...give him some space and time to find out it's just mama...and he's back at home...safe and sound. He's been thru a lot lately...:bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

3. Amanda & Shmee

Thanks Sue <3 I work from home so I did clock in. If I didn't work from home I don't think I would have been able to keep it together at work... ugh. Going to try and leave him alone until +3 for his next meal.

4. Beth 73

Beth 73 Well-Known Member

Oh, Amanda, my heart hurts for you :bighug: Will be praying for both you and Shmee . Maybe play soft music and like Sue said just let him rest . Prayers and hugs all day today being sent :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

Amanda & Shmee likes this.
  5. Mandy & Rex (GA)

Mandy & Rex (GA) Well-Known Member

:bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

I think you need to let him be for a bit. Maybe he woke up on the wrong side of the bed? :blackeye: We all have days like that. Hang in there.

6. Judy and Boomer

Judy and Boomer Well-Known Member

7. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

8. Tracey&Jones (GA)

Tracey&Jones (GA) Well-Known Member

9. Bellasmom

Bellasmom Well-Known Member

10. MyTitan (GA)

MyTitan (GA) Well-Known Member

Healing vines for Shmee. Kitties are tuff little nuts and good at healing. Paws crossed that the issue will pass with tyme and rest. :bighug:.

11. Amanda & Shmee

+3 update - fed him, he got down off the chair and ate great. I didn't want to bother him too much so I didn't test his BG and I only touched him a little bit. He seemed ok... I tried to get on his good side and give him some treats, and before and while he was eating them he was meowing weird.... like sad maybe. I wonder if he was thinking I equal "danger". I am also wondering now if his leg hurts.... I think I said this yesterday but I think a new girl was first at trying to get his vein. It really pissed me off. I understand everyone is new at one point but it should NOT have been on him because they know how much he has been through. Both the tech and the doctor were moving the needle all around in his leg so many times and it looked like it hurt so bad. I think this is the worst feeling I have ever felt. I have had him almost 11 years. He is my life. I can't take much more of this.

12. Amanda & Shmee

& thank you for all the hugs. I am lucky to have you all because I know you feel my pain and have such deep connections with your kitties as well.

Beth 73 likes this.
  13. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

How about half a dose of gab? When the techs are like that I stop them. My doctor draws the blood, I think he knows I'm a bit to protective. When I had Callie, them just weighing her I was watch the spine, careful of the leg, don't let her jump off onto hard floor. No shots in the back end. She was tripod with severe arthritis in bios and remaining back leg, back was twisted after years of centering back leg to walk, run. One doctor gave her shots in the back end. For 24 hrs she couldn't move the remaining leg, walk. It was awful. It was also the last time she had shots and the last time I went to that practice. Wasn't the first incident I had there.

14. Pamela & Amethyst

Pamela & Amethyst Well-Known Member

15. Amanda & Shmee

Thank you guys. I would have given him Gaba but he wouldn't eat it last time in his food :/ I might try to put half in his dinner. I haven't tested him at all today because I didn't want to upset him. I took my lunch pretty late and laid on the couch, hoping he might come by me and he did! He laid with me. I was so happy but still felt so bad for him because I know he is just not having it today. Other than the bad mood and weird meows he seemed ok today - laid by the heater and watched the birds. I realize I might have been a little over dramatic this morning now... it really was the worst feeling I have ever felt though that is certain. I feel so bad for him. Anxiously awaiting our bloodwork.

16. Amanda & Shmee

Well… he went to go lay on my lap in my chair but I was about to get up so I attempted to pick him up and bring him with me to the couch, and got very sad meows. He did not like it at all. God I just want to know whats wrong with him. I think I am going to call the vet, I don't really care if the doctor isn't in until tomorrow, I want to see if they will email me the results so I can get everyones opinion on here.

17. Beth 73

Beth 73 Well-Known Member

Amanda , you are NOT being overly dramatic ! You love Shmee and are protective of him :bighug: You are a super momma bean ❤️

18. JeffJ

JeffJ Well-Known Member

I bet he still not feeling like his old self. Maybe just cranky from the surgery and all the associated trauma and pokes. I would probably be cranky too.

It sounds like you are doing your best and that is good for Shmee. Leo has now been getting insulin for over 3 years. We make sure to give him separate attention in addition to getting poked and dosed. Sometimes just a quick rub, and always a "hi Leo, you are being a good boy". Maybe Shmee just needs a little space, and some little pieces of attention in addition to the "poke times".

19. Amanda & Shmee

Thank you Beth :bighug:

He gets a lot of attention! Especially since we both work at home. I think this morning he felt like he didn't want any attention :(

PMBG 76
    I called the vet and they wouldn't give me the results. She said she wasn't sure if they were in and I had to wait for the doctor.
    I also tried Gaba in his food because I know he was really hungry and he ate it. So hes back on a full pill. Last time I tried a half I don't think it worked, as much as I hate seeing him on a full pill I gave him that.
    I want to know whats wrong so bad. Again I am thinking its his stomach since he didn't want me to pick him up..... but who knows :(

JeffJ likes this.
  20. Nan & Amber (GA)

Nan & Amber (GA) Well-Known Member

Glad you called the vet. Hopefully they will call back with the actual results.

I'm afraid I've been off the boards for a while so I am not up on all of Shmee's details after his surgery, but just from what you describe today I think it's very possible that these behavioral changes might just be indicating that at least one of his replacement hormone doses need to be adjusted. I know in humans having an "off" level of thyroid hormones or corticosteroids can have pretty substantial psychological impacts. And given that, even being a little bit off, plus (maybe) some pain in the leg from the inexperienced tech, or pain from a minor problem somewhere else, could lead to some don't-touch-me crankiness. If that's the issue, then it's very fixable (though you might need to do some trial-and-error on doses first).

Hope you can get some answers soon, and get your lovey kitty back. :bighug: :bighug: :bighug:

21. Ana & Frosty (GA)

Ana & Frosty (GA) Well-Known Member

Literally, me today ALL DAY.
    I have no shame anymore, and I was just telling my bf how efficient I am since I can cry WHILE working. It’s really great to be able to get things done. Ha!

But on a serious note, I’m really sorry you guys are having a bad day. I think he’s a little traumatized from all the recent poking and prodding, but I do believe he will be back to his old self with time.

Amanda & Shmee and JeffJ like this.
  22. Bronx's dad (GA)

Bronx's dad (GA) Well-Known Member

So sorry to hear Shmee is not himself, probably not happy about all the testing and vet visits. Been a real rough month for him and his momma bean. Maybe some CBD oil can help though these trying days? The side effect can be a better appy too...

23. Chubba (GA)

Chubba (GA) Well-Known Member

Sending vines and :bighug:

24. Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA)

Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA) Well-Known Member

Think positively that Shmee will be feeling more like his old self soon. The surgery and everything else must certainly have been traumatic for him. I hope the doctors will be able to adjust his meds and that your beautiful boy will shine again for you. Sending hugs and scritches,

Amanda & Shmee and Beth 73 like this.
  25. JeffJ

JeffJ Well-Known Member

I also hope Shmee perks up a bit, day by day. He probably will not have a Eureka moment and suddenly be better. When Leo was real sick last year from the undiagnosed small cell lymphoma, it took a long time to get him better. I think Shmee may get better faster, but at least his BG has responded to the surgery.

26. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

It hasn’t been that long since he had major surgery so I bet he will have good days and bad. Sending vines that tomorrow and every day after will be better for you both.

:bighug::bighug::bighug:

27. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Poor Shmee has a whole lot of hormonal changes going on right now. It will take his body a while to get used to the new him. Like teenagers, he will get over it. In the mean time, it's not surprising his mammabean has some anxiety. :bighug::bighug::bighug:

Paws crossed for a better tomorrow.

28. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

Sending prayers. :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug: