09/20/18 Squallie update

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Squalliesmom, Sep 20, 2018.

1. Squalliesmom

Squalliesmom Well-Known Member

I'm afraid we are coming to the point where Squallie's quality of life will start to drop off. He seems unable to successfully move his bowels without enemas, and that's no way to have to live. He goes into the vet tomorrow for one last round of enemas; if he becomes constipated again after that I will make the hard decision. His life should be better than that. My heart is breaking. He still seems so happy and full of life! To think in a few more days he may not be with me anymore just kills me. Once again, I ask for you all to keep him in your prayers.

Tracey&Jones (GA) likes this.
  2. Mandy & Rex (GA)

Mandy & Rex (GA) Well-Known Member

:bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:
    It is better to let go if you think QOL is being compromised. I had to make the hardest decision ever in June with my Tanner.

3. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

Oh Lucy, my heart is breaking for you. I fear Squallie will not make this decision easy for you as you two are so attached. A vet told me that about my first heart kitty and he was right. I pray this last enema works for a very long time. Love on him as much as he lets you. We are all rooting for your brave boy. :bighug::bighug::bighug:

Squalliesmom likes this.
  4. Shoeskitty-GA

Shoeskitty-GA Well-Known Member

Prayers, vines, hugs to you and Squallie Lucy!:bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

Squalliesmom likes this.
  5. Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA)

Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA) Well-Known Member

Dear Lucy,
    If Squallie seems happy and full of life, he is not telling you that it is time. I hope that the enemas at the vet's will work and that he'll be able to carry on all by himself. Thinking of you and your boy and sending lots of healing vines.
    :bighug::bighug::bighug:

6. Beth 73

Beth 73 Well-Known Member

:bighug:❤️:bighug:❤️ Praying and believing this enema is a pipeline cleaner outer :bighug: And that he can poop all on his own . Holding you both close in our hearts , thoughts and prayers all day, every day :bighug:❤️

Squalliesmom likes this.
  7. Beth 73

Agree with Ella !!!! He is happy and full of life ... that’s what he’s saying about all this !! Day by day, Lucy...day by day ❤️

Beck and Philly and Squalliesmom like this.
  8. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

Oh my dear, of course Squallie and you are in our thoughts every day.

Squalliesmom likes this.
  9. Carol in Chicago

Carol in Chicago Member

Dear Lucy - I pray for you and Squallie every day. You know him best, but I hope something can be done.

In my experience, constipation can take several days to clear. When this issue first came up with my Rosie, she was hospitalized for 4 days. During that time, she received multiple enemas. It was through that process that we learned she responded best to a lactulose and soap enema. I now do these at home. When we do have to do them at home, it sometimes takes multiple attempts over 2 or 3 days. I know you are dealing with more because of the other issues Squallie has. It may be worth a discussion with the vet regarding maximizing lactulose and miralax to soften the stool to make it easier to pass. The other issue is hydration, so when he is seen by the vet, please ask to confirm he is well hydrated as that is very important to keep things moving. I would also add that after a successful enema, you may not see a bowel movement for a few days as things are re-established. When you see the vet tomorrow, you may want to ask that he do an exam and assess the amount of stool present and also comment on how hard it may be.

I hope you will have more quality time with each other. :bighug:

10. Amy&TrixieCat

Amy&TrixieCat Well-Known Member

Vines and prayers from us :bighug::bighug::bighug:

Squalliesmom likes this.
  11. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

I hope the constipation clears up soon. Try not to think about what may happen and make the most of each day with him. I know that is not easy. Sending prayers. :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

Squalliesmom and Beth 73 like this.
  12. MrWorfMen's Mom

MrWorfMen's Mom Well-Known Member

Oh Lucy,

Still trying to catch up! I'm so sorry to hear Squallie has been unwell and will absolutely be keeping you and Squallie in my prayers.

I hope with all my heart the enemas help your little man. Sending a truck loaded with healing and poopie vines and lots of scritches to Squallie and another with hugs for you! :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

Squalliesmom likes this.
  13. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Thinking of you guys, and hoping for successful movement for Squallie. :bighug::bighug: I hope he has many more good days.

Squalliesmom likes this.
  14. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

Sending prayers, vines, hugs and positive thoughts for you and Squallie:bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

Squalliesmom likes this.
  15. Pamela & Amethyst

Pamela & Amethyst Well-Known Member

If he is happy and full of life THAN he will POOP Archangel Raphael please heal Squallie:bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

Squalliesmom likes this.
  16. Barbara & Uncle (GA)

Barbara & Uncle (GA) Well-Known Member

Wrapping you guys up in all my love and sending positive energy for some movement SOON :bighug::bighug::bighug:

Squalliesmom likes this.
  17. Tracey&Jones (GA)

Tracey&Jones (GA) Well-Known Member

I hope this enema does the trick! No other advice, just these :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

Squalliesmom likes this.
  18. Bellasmom

Bellasmom Well-Known Member

Lucy, I pray for you guys a lot during the day, my heart breaks for you, enjoy every minute

Squalliesmom likes this.
  19. Bronx's dad (GA)

Bronx's dad (GA) Well-Known Member

Prayers and thoughts are with you Lucy :bighug::bighug::bighug:

Squalliesmom likes this.
  20. Squalliesmom

Squalliesmom Well-Known Member

Thank you, Carol. This is his third or fourth round of enemas, sadly. I tried them at home, but he struggles and cries, making me fear that I could cause a perforation, since his colon is already damaged and fragile. His vet will undoubtedly do an x-ray to see where the blockage is. I don't know why he keeps getting constipated, he never had a problem before, and he is on Miralax, lactulose, and cisapride. I have added coconut oil and raw egg yolk to his food, but he won't eat it so that's no help. The last enema I gave him produced nothing except for the soapy water that went in, bur he is still squatting and straining every 3-4 steps he takes. It breaks my heart to see him like this.

21. Beth 73

:bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug: Continued prayers, Lucy ❤️

Squalliesmom likes this.
  22. Bobbie And Bubba

Bobbie And Bubba Well-Known Member

And more vines. :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

Squalliesmom likes this.