09/26 - Dweezil AMPS 324

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by monty_dweezil (GA), Sep 26, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. monty_dweezil (GA)

monty_dweezil (GA) Member

Link to last thread

http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/09-24-dweezil-amps-468.184381/

So yesterday our vet recommended we try a little more than 1.2 units as Dwee seemed to be mostly high and just a bit more might help better.

So today's numbers have been fairly average for the first dose of 1.4. He's gone up rather quickly in the late afternoon (which either happens or the opposite does and he finally drops at this later time) so will be getting his PM dose around 5.30pm.

2. Gussie's mom (GA)

Gussie's mom (GA) Well-Known Member

Sending work that dosecrease vines to you!:bighug::cat:

monty_dweezil (GA) likes this.
  3. monty_dweezil (GA)

Thank you so much for those lovely vines! :cat:

I'm actually a bit nervous as tonight was the first time I used the 0.5 marked needles and I was going cross eyed trying to see!

The AM / PM doses are almost the same but we're still trying to be a bit careful at night as he does tend to drop lower then and I fear high carb food won't always be sufficient and the 24 hour animal emergency hospital is just SO not a good option. A 45 minute taxi ride, then waiting around for hours, finally they take him away, he freaks out, they say they'll give him IV glucose, we go home as they make him stay overnight, then finally 12 hours later we go back to get him and see on the paperwork they either didn't do anything but monitor him, or they put his glucose ridiculously high.

We went through this a few times...ugh.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2017
  4. Gussie's mom (GA)

Yikes! I can see where that would be a nightmare! Btw I love his name Dweezil! I found a pair of strong readers really helped with the syringes..and when Gussie got down to micro doses I added a headlamp! Calipers were a great help too. Once I set them it was much easier to get a consistent draw.
    Hoping Dweezil slides gently on this new dose.:bighug:
    Surf safely!:cat:

5. monty_dweezil (GA)

Thank you so much again.

So far so good!

I ordered a pair of jeweller's magnifying glasses on ebay that I think are arriving tomorrow. I hope so! lol

Gussie's mom (GA) likes this.
  6. Alicia & Maggie (GA)

Alicia & Maggie (GA) Well-Known Member

Work that juice Dweezil! :cat:

7. monty_dweezil (GA)

Oh my god, HOW do you use these glasses!!? They arrived today but I can't see a single thing unless it's right up against the lenses!

8. monty_dweezil (GA)

Weirdly, his 1.4 dose this AM has done absolutely nothing. Yes he didn't go too low last night for there to be a bounce.

9. Gussie's mom (GA)

Haha! Yep you have to have things really close to use them! Keep moving the target closer and farther till you find that sweet focal spot where you can see those little lines as Big! Your brain will adjust.
    I would get so busy trying to get Gussie squared that sometimes I would forget I was wearing them and ‘ bout kill myself running into things like the corners of walls!:eek:
    If you ever wore glasses as a kid, remember how weird everything looked thru them at first? Then the brain adjusts:)
    Hang in there:bighug:

10. Gussie's mom (GA)

Remember the depot is still building with the first few doses at the increased amount..
    These might come in handy.. D542C6F0-375D-433F-84CC-C662C4C51045.jpeg

11. Girlie's mom

Girlie's mom Well-Known Member

12. monty_dweezil (GA)

I think I got those ones! I'm using the 25 magnification ones right now. I feel like a mad scientist! The cats were baffled. lmao.

My patience pants are on but from tomorrow they will be flying out the window as it's cattery time for 5 days. I'm dreading saying goodbye.

13. Girlie's mom

Enjoy your holiday.

14. monty_dweezil (GA)

Thank you. I can never really enjoy though due to the fear of losing my precious Dweezil. Almost lost him twice before while away, but his monitor should help I hope.

15. monty_dweezil (GA)

These last 2 days, his night time numbers are ok, but the day time (today anyway) are high pretty much all day, and yet he gets a tiny bit more in the AM shots. Hmm.

16. Girlie's mom

How long has this monitor been on? If it's getting close to two weeks, then it's not going to be accurate. :)

17. Girlie's mom

I just don't see how you're going to be able to figure out the correct dose until you dose consistently for several cycles in a row. Have you read up on the Depot sticky yet? Understanding how Lantus works and how the depot works will go a long way to understanding why you're seeing the inconsistencies you're seeing, You can't just guess what insulin might work today because it doesn't work that way: you have to look at the data over several cycles and then make an informed judgement that way. I know others have mentioned that. Consistency will give you real knowledge that can help you find the right dose to help your cat and stop these numbers going all over the place. Otherwise my guess is that you're not going to see Dweezil even out; his poor body is in a state of confusion, I'd guess. Other more experienced people have mentioned this before, but I thought I'd just mention it again. :)

18. monty_dweezil (GA)

He's been at the cattery for 6 hours and will not eat. He has all his favourite foods but just refuses to eat.

His BG is 288 and will continue to rise. The cattery lady goes to bed early 8pm as she's up at 4am so she can't do what I do when I wait 1-2 hours to feed him until he suddenly is in the mood to eat, and she can't give him his snack at 10pm or check when or if he goes low. So...he just won't eat or get his insulin.

I am terrified he'll get DKA again from the lack of food and lack of insulin.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.