1/1 Happy New Year from Mandarin and Walter

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Mandarin'sMom, Jan 1, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mandarin'sMom

Mandarin'sMom Well-Known Member

Last condo

Happy New Year from my zoo! It's been way too long since I have posted a condo, but here I am, putting my New Year's Resolution into action. Maybe tomorrow, I will even manage to post before 5 pm. ;)

It's been a busy couple of months!

Good news first: Iris is doing GREAT! It's been almost 3 months since she had a huge polyp removed and she is finally able to breathe normally. The Horner's Syndrome has resolved completed and she has gained over a pound. She looks great and is social, active, and visibly happier than before.

Walter has also been doing very well for the most part. He was regulated on 1 unit in November and December, but then I went on an 11-day trip to see my parents in Germany and he made it his mission to drive my poor pet-sitter insane. :oops: Even though I reduced him to 0.5 units, he managed to drop into the 40s twice and ended up with 18 (!!!) skipped shots. Considering the fact that he has hardly had any Insulin, he's doing pretty well. I figured I would err on the side of caution and rather than starting him back up at 1 unit, I continued with 0.5 units.

After many months on a very low dose, Mandarin lost regulation in November and went back up into the stinky pinks. :arghh: Since my pet-sitter has never been able to touch him (and usually doesn't even see him when I am out of town), he didn't get any Insulin for 11 days. He has been extra attention-starved and is thrilled to have his mama bean back.

The trip to Germany was nice and my parents were very happy to have both of their "kids" home for the holidays for the first time in many years. I was really looking forward to catching up on my sleep and not having to set an alarm in the middle of the night, but I had the hardest time getting used to the 6-hour time difference. I got back to the arctic cold here in Indiana on Thursday (late at night, thanks to some major delays) and, thankfully, I still have another week before the new semester starts.

Wishing everyone a happy and healthy year with many OTJ parties!

2. Mandy & Rex (GA)

Mandy & Rex (GA) Well-Known Member

Great news about Iris and Walter. That's too bad about Mandarin losing regulation. You will get him back on track soon enough! :bighug::bighug:

Mandarin'sMom likes this.
  3. Mandarin'sMom

Thank you! I am feeling really guilty about leaving him at the worst time. When I originally bought the plane ticket, I had hoped that Mandarin might be OTJ again by the time I left... but I guess that would have been too easy. :rolleyes:

Mandy & Rex (GA) likes this.
  4. Alicia & Maggie (GA)

Alicia & Maggie (GA) Well-Known Member

Happy New Year! Wonderful news on Iris! :) Walter's back in the groove, and Mandarin will get there, silly mama's-boy! :rolleyes: Glad you had a good time in Germany. Hope you can get your sleep cycles back to normal soon.

5. Bobbie And Bubba

Bobbie And Bubba Well-Known Member

Hi Christine! It is wonderful to hear from you! So glad that you got to visit your parents for the Holidays. The time away from the middle of the night test and feedings is wonderful but, sounds like you still had sleep issues from time changes. Hope you adjust back easily.

So glad to hear that Iris is doing well after her surgery!

Wow, Walter! Going so low while Momma is away!

Sorry to hear about Mandarin jumping back up. I know how frustrating it is when they are regulated and then get an idea to pop up. I hope he'll come back down for you soon.

Happy New Year to you and yours. You are an incredible Bean and caregiver!

6. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

Happy New Year! Wonderful news about Iris. I'm glad Walter is doing so well. Hopefully Mandarin will get back on track quickly. It's great to see an update from you. I hope you keep posting.

7. Mandarin'sMom

It sure is! Especially when there is no logical explanation. Mandarin seems to be feeling well, his mouth looks great, and his blood work didn't indicate any issues - which is all great news, except that there's no "easy fix" for his higher numbers.

I think I just need to get back in the habit of posting right after their morning shot... we'll see. The good intention is there for sure. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.