1/1 Hershey AMPS(270)+8(70)PMPS(79)+5.5(208)

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Doug N Libby, Jan 1, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Doug N Libby

Doug N Libby Well-Known Member

12/30 Hershey

Thanks, again, to Deborah, Wendy, Julie, Suzanne, Sandy, Wendy, Dyana, BJM, Sienne, Michelle, Squirrel, Libby, Marje, Tara, Jane, Donaleen, Carla, and Ann, for coming over to offer your support when Hershey was given two shots on 12/30. Even though he's thrown me low numbers on quite a few occasions, I was a little nervous about the double-dosing!

After +19/+17 he decided to bounce to (220) and keep rising until AMPS this morning. I was happy to see him coming back down and not going as high as I was afraid of (like the (422) and (428) post dental!).

I'm still trying to soak in the kidney disease information. I've been reading Tanya's page (have left the tab up on my computer so maybe I'll get it through osmosis? ;-) ) and have been reading the felinecrf.com page the vet told me to read. Some of the information is the same, some not so much. I've also been scanning in Hershey's labs (just in case I lose the hard copy) as a first step to getting them to his SS. I have a copy of his chart from his previous vet, too, and have been reading it. Honestly, I have to keep stopping because I'm getting so upset. I only have labwork from 11/11, when I took him in because of concerns. I don't even see a note where any labs had been done up to that point. He was almost TEN years old!! WHY were no labs done - NONE?! I also see a note that in 2010 I was concerned about the two pounds he had lost. Maybe it was only two pounds, but what if he had diabetes then and it could have been detected EARLY?! I know there's nothing that can be done about it now, but it's frustrating just the same. I'm SO thankful we changed vets!

And, y'all may remember the phone conversation I had with her when we wanted to hometest, home curve and change to Levemir. She was less than kind, let's leave it at that. She made notes from our conversation, but they're brief and I wouldn't have guessed they were from the same conversation. :YMSIGH:

Okay - enough venting -

Hershey slept a lot yesterday, but I figured he was recovering from the double-dosing event. He's sleeping more today, too, but going from all of that up to (270) and then back to (70) probably makes him feel wonky. Hoping this is the start to him leveling off.

Thanks for coming over!!

Wishing everyone a happy and healthy 2014!

Libby (& Hershey, too!)

AMPS (270) + 12 - Shot .5u at 5:30am + 1/8th tsp Miralax
    +2 (198) - fed
    +5.75 (92)
    +6.75 (79)
    +8 (70)

PMPS (79) + 12 - Shot .5u at 5:35pm + 1/8th tsp Miralax
    +2 (185) - fed
    +5.5 (208)

2. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

Re: 1/1 Hershey AMPS(270)+8(70)

[​IMG]

Nice recovery, Hershey!!!

It's easy to get overwhelmed by Tanya's. I just took it in a little at a time.

3. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

Nice and fast recovery from the skipped shot. What an experience, eh?

Tanya's site has a ton of information on it, and it is a little overwhelming. Just read some each day.

J.D. has early kidney issues too. I put his lab work in a tab on our spreadsheet. You are welcome to copy the format.

I hope you and Hersey and your family have a wonderful 2014.
    [​IMG]

4. Melissa & Tarragon

Melissa & Tarragon Well-Known Member

((((Libby)))). It is so nice to see you but I'm sorry about the shot mess up. I hope you guys have a wonderful 2014!!!!

5. julie & punkin (ga)

julie & punkin (ga) Well-Known Member

hi Libby!

I wondered if you had a chance on 12/30-31 to look at the link that Wendy/Neko posted for you about Ebby's situation with 2 shots in November. Now that you're out of the immediate crisis, it would be good to read it. That double shot affected her cycles for a few days.

Punkin had early stages of CKD as well. We switched his food to low-phosphorus (Friskies Special Diet Turkey and Giblets) and added 150ml fluids every other day. There are probably more things you can do, but those were how we started out and i'm thinking if you're getting overwhelmed, maybe just starting with something while you figure out future steps. Even changing Punkin's food, from Fancy Feast, which was on the high end of the phos foods, i want to say more than 500mg, to the Friskies, which was 168mg, if I remember correctly, dropped some of his numbers back into the normal ranges.

We also have a tab with labs on it. I copied someone's as well - it makes it easier to get started. Then you can just have updates and add a column of new values when you have labs done. I bolded and colored the numbers that were out of range. I also included a column with the normal range for each lab so I'd know what I was looking at. Feel free to copy any of mine that helps you.

6. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Whew - good to see Hershey back in a good green zone again. :mrgreen:

Don't knock yourself up about the lack of old labs. Most vets don't start thinking about getting b/w done for a cat until they are north of 8-9 years old. I too had asked my vet about it when Neko turned 10, and she said I could do it if I want but it wasn't necessary because she seemed so healthy at the time. Now I wish I had because it was the following year she got her diabetes Dx, but it's water under the bridge now.

I know some people who've ordered the book from Tanya's site, and found it easier to absorb information that way.

7. lovey11

lovey11 Well-Known Member

I am glad that Hershey is doing well and is Ok. You did a good job keeping him safe.

8. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

Happy New Year! I'm glad Hershey made it through the double dosing. Hopefully he'll flatten out for you soon.

9. Doug N Libby

Re: 1/1 Hershey AMPS(270)+8(70)AMPS(79)+2(185)

- Hey, Marje - I keep hearing y'all talk about Tanya's page in book form. Guess I need to go see how to obtain such a thing...

- Hey, Dyana - Yes, it was quite an experience. One that I don't care to repeat. :roll: I may stop by and look at J.D.'s SS. I was telling Marje I was finding each lab has its own reference range, which makes it a little tedious trying to add it to Hershey's SS. But, I think I have them on there now.

- Hey, Melissa - Thanks. Good to see you, too!

- Hey, Julie - I have not had a chance to read about Ebby's situation. Thanks for reminding me! Hershey usually eats Wellness Turkey (Phos 200 mg) or sometimes Wellness Chicken (Phos 219 mg) but I wouldn't mind finding something lower, if possible. I've been looking at the food list and know I want low carb and low phos, but after that I don't know if I should look for higher protein or higher fat content.

- Hey, Wendy - Not gonna lie, I was tickled to see the return of the green. Of course, it was gone by PM +2, but hoping to see it again, soon. Thanks on the labs. If cats can get sick younger than 10, it seems vets should do labs earlier, but what do I know?

- Hey, Catherine - Thanks!

- Hey, Carla - Thanks, I'm glad that ordeal is over!

PMPS (79) +12 - Shot .5u at 5:35pm + 1/8th tsp Miralax
    +2 (185) - fed

10. Amy&TrixieCat

Amy&TrixieCat Well-Known Member

I was watching the other night from the sidelines....didn't want to interfere. Nice work!!!

Trix is early CKD, too. I also found Tanya's site to be very, very thorough...and overwhelming and stressful and upsetting. I took a step back, and have been going with it one baby step at a time. It is definitely very challenging to find fuds that fit the bill for a cat who is both diabetic and CKD...there are very few options. Right now, Trix is eating Wellness Chicken...she got really sick of Wellness Turkey, and won't touch EVO for nuthin'. She's not a fan of the Friskies Special Diet T&G, either. We're past due for a check up, too...lots of stuff going on in the background with other aspects of life. But, in any event, I just wanted to let you know you are definitely not alone with this one...your LL family is with you!

Happy New Year - I hope you guys are enjoying a relaxing evening!

11. Rachel & Chyna (GA)

Rachel & Chyna (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Libby! I've been eyeing Tanyas book, I'm sure it sells elsewhere, but it's on her site here: https://www.createspace.com/3726457 I've seen it on Amazon.com too.

I was following your condo for the two shots, what a day! I'm glad it all went well :D I know the SS for labs is a lot of work, I did mine from scratch and am not sure if it's any better than anyone elses, but it works ;-) I ended up printing the food lists and highlighting everything that was low enough carb and phos, then went shopping, lol. Sorry I have no advice on the protein or fat...

Hope that Hershey has a nice, safe surf in the greens for you tonight! Happy New Year :D

12. Cleo & Jane (GA)

Cleo & Jane (GA) Well-Known Member

Happy New Year Libby!
    Happy to see that Hershey seems to be returning to his normal cycle. That was a wild night. You and DH handled it so well :D

Cleo is also early CKD, and fuds are always a problem. She was always a good eater, but not so much with the low phos foods. I am always on the lookout for something new. I wish she like the Natures Variety raw, but no such luck.

Have a peaceful night!

13. Doug N Libby

- Hey, Amy - Thanks for checking on us the other night. It's such a comfort to have so much support! Hershey eats Wellness Turkey, almost exclusively, but sometimes he gets tired of it. Funny, they n-e-v-e-r got tired of eating the same dry food e-v-e-r-y day, but the better quality canned food? different story. :YMSIGH: It seems like we tried EVO early on, but I can't be sure. i sent Doug out looking for Friskies Special Diet T&G, but the WM he went to didn't carry it. Couldn't get clear information on their website, so guess I'll call around tomorrow. I figured I may as well try to pick up a can or two and give it a try. Start with the least expensive and work my way up, if I have to.

I hear ya' on the lots of stuff going on in your life delaying the vet appt. I hope it goes well! Thanks for the CKD support, too!

- Hey, Rachel - Thanks for book information. And, for looking in on us during our big adventure. Thanks, I'm glad it went well, too, and that's over! I've spent much of my evening with the foods list. I found a few to try, now it's a matter of cost and finding them. :YMSIGH: Wish Hershey had listened about surfing the greens, but he thought yellow was the color of the evening. Silly kitty!

- Hey, Jane - Thanks, it was a nerve-racking night! I'm dreading trying new foods with Hershey, afraid he'll snub them, but it's worth a try. I've been reading a little about Natures Variety raw, but not sure I'm ready to try it. I didn't realize so many of us were dealing with CKD. My vet said they don't know what causes it. Seems we have a large enough group that they could use us as study subjects and maybe learn something.

Hoping everyone is enjoying the start to a wonderful new year!!

+5.5 (208) - WHAT is that?! Wrongway Feldman!!!

14. Deborah & Shasta

Deborah & Shasta Well-Known Member

Happy New Year, Libby and excellent job on steering that double dose!!!!!! Very impressed. Still saying lots of prayers for you all with regards to this diagnosis. Now, has Hershey been officially diagnosed or things are still pending on more blood work?

15. Doug N Libby

- Hey, Deborah - Thanks for the prayers; they're much appreciated! At this point, the vet expressed concerns but stopped short of an official diagnosis until we can repeat his labs. With preparing to move Jessica next Thursday and waiting to see if I am actually called to jury duty (ugh!), it'll be a couple of weeks before I can get Hershey back in for labs. Don't get me wrong about jury duty, I think it's an important service we all need to do, but it's supposed to be random and this is the THIRD time I've received notice. Never had to actually serve, but did spend an entire week at the courthouse once before being released. There are 3 other adults in my house. Doug has been called once and it happened to be the week we were moving to another county, so they didn't call him. Doesn't sound so random to me!

I'm hoping that if we change his food, it'll improve his labs. We'll see...While Joseph was out and about this morning, he located Friskies Special Diet Turkey & Giblets at Harris Teeter. So, we'll try it at PMPS.

16. Ann & Tess GA

Ann & Tess GA Well-Known Member

Sorry I did n't stop in yesterday, too busy getting ready for company to get on the board. I'm glad it all worked out well w/ the double shot.

hershey's numbers are marginal and it looks like early stage, you did catch it early. They say labs really don't show up until kidney function goes way down. Most vets don't do early labs except minimal checks before anesthesia. I'd guess largely because too many beans won't pay for them. False economy, and we pay for it later! What's really needed is better education on feline nutrition, for both vets and beans! CKD is becoming more and more common in cats. There is a theory out that the same dry food that can trigger diabetes is a culprit in CKD too. The low moisture content and low thirst drive in cats can cause chronic dehydration, which harms the kidneys. One more reason to get everyone on canned food as early as possible. I agree on all the info on Tanya's and have been thinking about getting the book, you can get lost in all the links and miss a lot! I've signed up for Tanya's group too, but haven't had time to get on that board.

I'm glad you found the Friskies Special Diet, they have it at Petsmart (on sale now) and Petco too, usually. Tess definitely prefers it to the better quality foods. Furkids can be addicted to junk food too! Getting them to eat what is good for them is sooooooooo hard. And CKD cats tend to loose appetite as well. I'd like to know what your vet thinks KD has going for it other than low phos, you mentioned that she said there were other things as well. If it is that it is reduced protein as well, that is passé thinking for early stage CKD.

You asked about fat and protein. I think it would be better to look for more protein, but fat is cheaper and when reducing the carbs in a food that is usually what gets increased! :roll: A cat's digestion system is different though and they metabolize fat better than we do. Fat can be a concern for cats who are prone to pancreatitis, I'm not sure what the thinking is on that right now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.