1/1 Rocket +6 90 and gave half dose

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Rocket & his Mom, Jan 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rocket & his Mom

Rocket & his Mom Well-Known Member

Re: 1/1 Rocket PMPS 108-question-HELP

i will talk it over with his reg vet....his ionized Ca was fine last checked....may need a new test on that....

this ER vet was a different one than the one he saw this morning.....

2. carolynandlatte

carolynandlatte Well-Known Member

Re: 1/1 Rocket PMPS 108-question-HELP-tramadol info

Claudia,
    I dont mean to be confusing, but considering your experience at the er and your frustration with the vets lack of knowledge, I would be hesitant to do anything but take their thoughts as grain of salt (is that the right phrase? :lol: ).

One thing I ALWAYS kept in mind with Latte and new meds (or any course of action)...was it worth the risk? Did I research it. Do I feel confident. If I did and I felt it might help, I gave it. No regrets. The ball is in your court. No judgement, no regrets. You will do what is best for Rocket.

((((((((((((claudia)))))))))))))))))

Im heading to bed. Please try to get some sleep...and rocket, too!

3. carolynandlatte

carolynandlatte Well-Known Member

ps- dont get discouraged if you cant get it down Rocket. Rumor has it Tramadol is one of the hardest because of its taste. Another reason I didnt offer it to Latte. Cover it well and get it down QUICK!

4. Rocket & his Mom

Rocket is easy to pill....he gets the size #4 gelcap each night as i put Salmon oil as a supplement....he has not gotten that gelcap in a few days since all this started....

i may half the dose....to 5 mgs rather than the full 10 mgs....

5. Cyn and Cosmo

Cyn and Cosmo Member

Jeez. I can't seem to post successfully on this board anymore. They keep disappearing.

Just a quick note to say I'm thinking of you and Rocket. I hope that the shaking stops and that the regular vet can give you a more confident reason for what is going on.

I'd want to know that the tramadol wasn't going to have any bad interactions with current meds. Also, what are the expected side effects? I know some pain meds are constipating, so then I'd want to be able to take precautions so as to not make more problems later.

I also hope you are taking care of yourself, Claudia. I know it's hard to do, b/c it can feel selfish, but if you don't take care of yourself, you won't be on top of your game to take care of Rocket.

((Claudia & Rocket))

6. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

I have no experience with Tramadol. Sorry.

I also don't know if the Ca level on the labs was ionized Ca. I tend to doubt it since most labs don't seem to run ionized Ca. If it is not an ionized Ca level, there may not be any reason to be concerned since the phos level is OK. The two usually run in tandem.

7. Rocket & his Mom

yes i was reading up on constipation but he already gets miralax and canned pumpkin mixed in the food as he is on such high aluminum hydroxide dose....

i read up on the side effects.....and i'm thinking maybe giving half of what's Rx in order to give him something...i just hate seeing him in pain...and really too....i can not afford the quote they gave me for the buprenex injections to tie him over until Tues.....

i do know this med gets processed thru the liver...so is the phenobarbital....and that's why i give him Denosyl....

i just hate seeing him so sad shivering and seems in pain....and i know it will cost me yet more taking him to his reg vet come Tues.....and as i have mentioned....i'm not working...finances are tight....and with those expenses even tighter....

no it's not iCa.....that takes time to get results

8. Cyn and Cosmo

Cyn and Cosmo Member

Maybe this is way too obvious, but... might he be cold too?

I have those bean bag heating things... you know the ones you heat in the microwave, put the bean bag into a fleece sleeve/pouch thing and then have it wrap around your neck? I bought one for Cosmo to wrap around him when he wasn't feeling well. Sometimes, I also use the Thermacare heating pads, but I worry about those burning (they get REALLY HOT!) but it might be ok if you put one under a couple towels and set Rocket on top.

9. Rocket & his Mom

he has 2 heated pet beds....i even put one under the bed which he did not use all night while he was under the bed tonight

the other one is by the window in the bedroom....he used it shortly then sort of didn't.....i tend to hold him wrapped like a baby with his blankets and he doesn't stop trembling....it's disheartening

gave half the dose of the tramadol....and since he didn't wanna eat his reg food i had to open one with gravy....if his BG is high it's ok...i rather have him eat....than nothing at all.....lost interest in the baby food too.....and before the med kicks in i needed to feed him

10. Karrie and Maverick

Karrie and Maverick Well-Known Member

Sending more hugs to you and Rocket. Wishing the tramadol gets the shivering under control.

Maverick was in liver failure when he had major surgery at a specialty hospital and they sent me home with tramadol for him and the pain. They had opened him up from chest to groin.

(((((((((Rocket)))))))))))

11. Linda and Bear Man

Linda and Bear Man Well-Known Member

Tramadol is quite effective for pain. I can't speak to the other issues about Tramadol that others have mentioned. I would try using any new pain med in a very low dose initially to monitor for side effects. Bear took Tramadol successfully for a long time, but eventually developed a side effect of agitation and restlessness, and it had to be stopped.

Buprinex, as I understand it, is a US brand name for the drug Buprenorphine. Buprenorphine for vet use is somewhat recent in Canada, and many vets are unsure about it. Pure, sterile Buprenorphine can be administered sub Q, IM, or trans mucosally (i.e. absorbed through the skin of the cheek, not swallowed orally). It is dosed by weight, and a larger dose gives longer duration. It is sedating, and I find that I use much less than a full dose on my kitties to be effective without being overly sedating. I had to struggle with my vet to order pure Bupe for sub Q injection, but she came through eventually. In their practice they normally supply a compounded flavored (no idea why as the drug is flavorless) trans mucosal version, and they will send other clients home with a few pre-filled syringes of that. The flavoring contains glucose, I believe. The Bupe that I get from my vet is very expensive, FYI. It is ordered from Summit Compounding Pharmacy in Toronto.

Adequan is given for arthritis pain. It is not a pain reliever. Though directions say to give it IM, it is perfectly acceptable to give it sub Q. I give it to Emily, and I believe it is helpful. It, too, is very expensive in Canada.

Another med is Gabapentin, which has a subtle pain relief effect for arthritis. In high doses it may help with seizures. I have only been able to access that in a compounded flavored format from my vet.

12. Ele & Blackie (GA)

Ele & Blackie (GA) Well-Known Member

I'm sending more vines and prayers for Rocket this morning, Claudia and for you too. I really hope the Tramadol makes him feel better. I've never used it on a cat, but I know some in our CRF group have. :YMHUG:

13. Georgia and Simon (GA)

Georgia and Simon (GA) Well-Known Member

Claudia, I am sending you hugs and prayers to you and Rocket this morning and hope this morning Rocket starts feeling a little better. How long are your parents at your home? I can really feel for you about wanting some time for just you and Rocket and not worrying about guests. I had my brother and his wife living with us for 4 months and even though they are family, I still felt stressed because everything was just out of my normal routine. Healing thoughts to you and Rocket.

14. Roni and Moonie

Roni and Moonie Well-Known Member

(((((((Claudia & Rocket)))))))) Hoping you see some improvement today--My cats hate company that sleeps over & do everything to usurp them-
    Copper usually sings loudly, they fight, & he runs all around in the middle of the night--We never hear anything though! Moonie also comes in & fights with him & causes a rukus!!
    Moonie & Copper both have taken Buprenex and it was great for them--It was the oral one you squeeze into their cheek--Works pretty fast--
    I am Praying so hard that Rocket will feel better today & your vet will find the problem--We are thinking of you all day & night--in our hearts & minds! Big Healing Hugs from Us!!

15. mybuddybinks

mybuddybinks Well-Known Member

Holding you and Rocket-man close in our hearts and mind today, claudia.

celi & binks

16. Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA)

Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA) Well-Known Member

(((((((Claudia & Rocket)))))))
    I hope that today will bring you and Rocket some relief from whatever it is that is causing him (and you) distress. Good luck in finding the proper medication. Do you think that he might be having have a severe allergic reaction to something (maybe to one of the meds? or a combination of meds?) (I had a terrible reaction to Amoxicillin several years ago that caused me to wind up in the ER.)

Lots of prayers, healing vines, snowflakes, and "hurry up Tuesday" thoughts for Rocket (and you) this afternoon. Do take care of yourself, Claudia!
    :YMHUG: :YMHUG: :YMHUG:

Ella & Rusty

17. Michelle and Mannie (GA)

Michelle and Mannie (GA) Well-Known Member

our thoughts are with you... I hope Rocket is better soon.

18. Jill & Alex (GA)

Jill & Alex (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.