1/12 Gussie bad morning AMBG 120, +10 63

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Gussie's mom (GA), Jan 12, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gussie's mom (GA)

Gussie's mom (GA) Well-Known Member

http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/1-11-gussie-ambg-82.171198/unread
    AMBG 120
    This was after a super stressful morning for him. Woke to him throwing up, bad bean didn't leave enough food out and I just could not get up and get it for him, slept thru like the dead.
    Then he went to the LB and I heard a lot of crashing and obviously him falling and flopping.
    He pinches a nerve somehow if he tries to poop and then has all sorts of trouble regaining that control..always has at least in the years I've had him. Found runny poo wherever he fell.
    Cleaned that all up and as figured he has no interest in any food.

Broke my heart to see that 120
    I am so hoping it is a stress number but I just retested and it is climbing rather than going down.
    I will retest tonite and am hoping he has not now lost his remission too...

Surf safely kitties, this broken hearted bean has to go earn enough to keep him in meds and vet visits..:bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

HWright likes this.
  2. Bobbie And Bubba

Bobbie And Bubba Well-Known Member

:bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:Les, I am so sorry that Gussie has had a bad morning ( and you too for that matter). The pinched nerve thing sounds uncomfortable for him and hopefully he is just having a stress hike because of it all. Does it happen every time he poops? Poor baby. Sending vines :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

3. Gussie's mom (GA)

Thanks Bobbie, I just want to cry..
    It only happens when he strains to poop, tho when he had his neuropathy it was every time. I'm at a total loss now,
    If he has list his remission I would like to nip this in the bud sooner rather than later as would e erroneous. I don't know how I am going to juggle all of this if he goes back on insulin twice a day, not with all that is happening...I'm trying not to project into the future, I know you can't do that with this dance..
    Frankly diabetes would be a welcome switch if it meant the pancreatitis or whatever this actually is we have been battling since the first week of Dec. would go away..
    I'm just losing the ability to stay positive and this 120 and rising is just icing on that cake..I can't seem to help him.
    Gave fluids this morning too..
    This is no quality for him..

4. LizzieInTexas

LizzieInTexas Well-Known Member

Oh sweetie - breaking my heart, tears in my eyes. :bighug::bighug:

Why would he strain with runny poo?

Fingers crossed it was just the stress of it all.

Gussie, baby, please feel better. :cat:

Gussie's mom (GA) likes this.
  5. Judy and Boomer

Judy and Boomer Well-Known Member

Oh I'm so sorry you and Gus have had such a bad morning! Don't lose hope on the remission though; it may just be stress related and he'll be back to good numbers soon. :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

6. Lincolns Mom

Lincolns Mom Well-Known Member

:bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug: prayers vines and hugs sent your way :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

7. Gill & George

Gill & George Well-Known Member

Stay strong, if he's uncomfortable or stressed, that may well have influenced BG.

Fwiw George has given me 120 a couple of times since he's been in remission, then his numbers came slowly down.
    :bighug::bighug::bighug:

HWright and Gussie's mom (GA) like this.
  8. Gussie's mom (GA)

Thank you all..he is eating a little..( I had a heart to heart with him about running out of options and needing him to help me....)
    I think the straining with runny poo, from what I've learned is because he is actually constipated...it's a weird dichotomy that they can have runny poop when they are trying to pass the hard blocked poop..
    My concern is it develops into or has developed into colitis and then miralax or constipation remedies aggravate it rather than help.
    I have to remind myself he is old at 19+ and like old people he we are dealing with parts that have been working and running a long time....
    Heck my parts are failing and I'm nowhere as far down the road of life as he is..I just wish his wasn't so awful right now..always seems unfair.

HWright and LizzieInTexas like this.
  9. Amy&TrixieCat

Amy&TrixieCat Well-Known Member

:bighug::bighug::bighug:....I wouldn't be surprised if the stress from the morning caused a spike in his BGs. I know it's disheartening, but it is just one number, and sometimes they have these little blips. Trix has been in remission for 3 years now, and just yesterday she gave me a 123; this morning she gave me a 119. It's hard to not panic, but take it one test and one breath at a time.

Have you had his anal glands checked? A couple weeks ago, Trix's glands were beyond full, and she was also flopping and falling in the LB while trying to go. Scary stuff. For her, once her glands were expressed, things got better after a couple days. Just something to look into.

Hugs and prayers from us....

10. Gussie's mom (GA)

Thanks Amy,
    That's a thought. He had them expressed back in July, maybe..his Civvie Jett just went thru that whole gland thing..will ask them to check that when I have him in.thanks for reminding me..

Thanks all, bundled up in rain gear and heading out. Going to see if I can sneak back sometime today for a poke..wrapping myself in your hugs and vines and heading out. I'm wearing and carrying every talisman I own...

11. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

I'm sorry this morning was so stressful for you and Gussie. I'm sure that made his BG higher, but it's not that high. I wouldn't panic about it. I'm glad he ate some for you. I hope the rest of the day is better for you both. Sending prayers. :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

Gussie's mom (GA) and HWright like this.
  12. Nat & Fluffy

Nat & Fluffy Member

Oh no!!! :( Sending endless love, prayers... So sorry to see that happen to poor Gussie, and for you to have to go through that!! :( Breaks my heart :( He will get over this thing :bighug::bighug::bighug: Hold that hope~ Praying for less stress and that this was just a one time thing~ :bighug::bighug::bighug:

13. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

14. Doodles & Karen

Doodles & Karen Well-Known Member

I wouldn't stress over the bg sweetie, just let that go for now. Sending loads of vines, prayers and :bighug::bighug::bighug:

15. HWright

HWright Well-Known Member

Sending heaps of vines :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:for you and Gussie ❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️

16. Red & Rover (GA)

Red & Rover (GA) Well-Known Member

Vines galore to you and Gussie. May this new issue be something simple.

17. Jan Radar (GA)

Jan Radar (GA) Well-Known Member

Sending :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug: for you both. We all need lots of hugs when life is stressful. Sending lots of feel better vibes to you both.

18. Carol & Murphy (GA)

Carol & Murphy (GA) Well-Known Member

I'm really glad you are getting the ultrasound and hope it provides answers and an easy treatment plan, Les.
    many hugs

19. Kathy and TiTi

Kathy and TiTi Well-Known Member

Here's a few more hugs - maybe enough for a muffler?:bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

20. Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey

Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey Well-Known Member

{{{Les}}}

I'm so sorry about the stressful morning. Not the way anyone wants to start their day.

I, too, think the stress of the situation is why his BG went up. But, it's not that high and you know Gus always does things his own way.

I'm glad he ate for you. I hope that made you feel a bit better.

Sending mega vines and lots of :bighug:s.

21. suki & crystal (GA)

suki & crystal (GA) Well-Known Member

Many vines for you and dear Gus for a better day tomorrow :bighug::bighug::bighug:

22. Osha

Osha Well-Known Member

Sending more vines for Gussie and hugs for you Les.:bighug::bighug::bighug:

23. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

24. Linda and Scooter & Jack

Linda and Scooter & Jack Well-Known Member

Both Jack and Scooter can and would throw me high numbers while OTJ. I know you are worried but give him time and he will eat well and it will come down. Juniors numbers are all over the place with his constipation and I am just shooting without changing his dose. Once it's over his good numbers return. Miralax stopped working but dulcolax has begun to work with ranitidine. If you want to change please see your Vet. As you know Junior has mega colon so his dose is high.
    I am busting to hear about his evening.

25. Photorecon

Photorecon Well-Known Member

Can feel your deception / distress Leslie, that's so sad what happened and is happening.
    That must no be easy at all when added to work and the rest. Would like so much to grab
    some of that stress to release it from you. Guess you're panicking right now and that's
    understandable. Hope it's not one or the other (pancreatitis or juice) that will swap
    chair but that they will both leave this poor little body. No pet has to pay that kind of
    bill, it's just unfair.

Paying for a near future recovery and please, no juice.

We're all with you. :bighug:

26. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

{{{Les}}} that AMPS was just a stress blip. Try not to worry about it. :bighug::bighug: My civie once test over 220 at the vet's office when he was having a cystitis episode (and 53 at home the next day). All cats are allowed off day.

27. Gussie's mom (GA)

Hi, I'm home, and drying out and warming up....
    I did not get to swing by earlier. I guess it was a good thing because Gussie decided he was hungry by the time I got in..he ate a little, and I gave his ear a poke. BG 63..I have zero clue what his body is doing. He still is sitting to protect his abdomen so he clearly still has pain. Will give meds soon including more Bupe.
    I truly want to thank you one and all for the vines and support..I'm not one to panic normally so this feeling of being at a total loss is really uncomfortable and foreign, (I am usually the practical one in any given situation), but is made more bearable by your support and encouragement..it is appreciated beyond words:bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

28. Barbara & Uncle (GA)

Barbara & Uncle (GA) Well-Known Member

That's what it's all about. Glad to hear the little man decided to eat some and give you a green number for a coming home present.

29. LizzieInTexas

LizzieInTexas Well-Known Member

Yay Gussie! Feel better boy. :bighug:

Will he lay on a warm heating pad or water bottle? Gizmo wouldn't, I know, but ECID :).

30. Gussie's mom (GA)

Hmm I don't know! I have a heating mat for his bed, will dig it out if I can find it..good idea! Thanks:bighug::cat:

HWright and LizzieInTexas like this.
  31. Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA)

Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA) Well-Known Member

(((Les))), I am so sorry to read about Gussie's (and your) stressful morning and relieved to see that he is feeling a bit better and eating. It was certainly a stress spike. Does Gus eat yogurt? Maybe you could try a little plain Greek yogurt with active cultures as a mild probiotic. Even if it doesn't "work", it is real food and might taste good.

Thinking of you and sending many, many vines for your boy,

Hugs and scritches,

32. Donna and Flame

Donna and Flame Well-Known Member

Wanted to post earlier when I saw this at work but couldn't. I was so upset to see you so upset and Gussie not feeling well. Glad to hear he is feeling a little better and I hope you are too. Just wanted to stop by and add my love, support and healing vines to everyone else's for Gussie and for his wonderful mom. :bighug::bighug::bighug:

33. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

(((Les)))
    I am so sorry for his pain and discomfort and for you to have to watch and feel helpless.

Please forgive me that I haven't caught up but have they done an ultrasound? I know the Precision PL indicates it is likely he has pancreatitis but have they looked at his pancreas and intestines, gallbladder, etc? His bloodwork is truly phenomenal for his age. A testament to your great care.

Often a blip is a blip. Just like the occasional OTJ cat that throws a 30. He's looking good again.

Hugs and vines.

34. Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey

Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey Well-Known Member

35. Marje and Gracie

Thank you, Tricia. Great idea, Les.

36. Gussie's mom (GA)

Thanks Marje..being a practical person who looks at a given situation and weighs the possible outcomes based on courses of action, this is so very hard. There is no rhyme or reason, it's just a roll of the dice each new day, feels like..

Because that is how I am wired, the protocols here were a good fit for me...I didn't necessarily always understand everything, but they are a set of rules with ( with ECID variance) a fairly predictable range of possible outcomes, and those outcomes came with working strategies which you here were able to guide me thru applying...
    This not so much at all..I swear it is controlled by evil pixies..

I think I am at that exhaustion point we all know so well, coming off his trip through the FD ladder and segueing pretty much into this pancreatitis (or whatever this is) and the fight on a daily basis since first week of December to keep him pain free and eating enough to sustain him. I know that no good decision is ever made from where I sit, and that is what I keep telling myself when I get to where I feel it's hopeless to keep torturing him ( his perception is clear).

I am stumped too given that he does have some amazing blood work for his age.... I was expecting far worse..

I am having an ultrasound Tuesday morning. At this point I am suspecting if it's not his pancreas ( no real vomiting thru this other than an acid stomach vomit in the mornings at times), perhaps a bad colitis?, or as you say gall bladder?, or perhaps even megacolon given that he is frequently having issues with his pooping?. I chalked periodic constipation up to being old but it seems too chronic now a days..miralax does not seem to keep him regular and if it were simple constipation I would think that would do the trick..this is something more complex at work. Has to be.
    I am hoping there is not a tumor lurking in there...anti jinx.

For now I am throwing everything I have here at him trying to keep him comfortable, and getting up every time I feel him stirring and looking for food, making sure there is some for him to graze on. I will do whatever it takes to ensure he takes in as many calories as He is willing to eat..we are playing some serious catch up.

I think the fluids help tho he really hates them, I think it is the being held in one place and fussed with that he hates, more than the fluids themselves.

I don't understand enough about this p'titis disease despite reading and rereading the primer..I might be trying from too emotional a place right now..need to step back and reapproach it from a calmer place.

Gus is really an amazing cat, I can't claim any of the credit really, he has only been mine a couple of his many years. He is that healthy despite existing on FF Gravy ( he just licked it off the bits) and the cheapest kibble money could buy at the grocery store ( I was appalled at his diet when I started pet sitting him in his empty house) for his whole life before I got him. Like I said, an amazing cat.

He is a strong old cat, he is trying and fighting.., and with him, less is always more..he does not like being fussed with at all, and it has always been that things happen according to his rules..( as his SS shows too!)...that is when he decided to start to eat a little, when I stopped pushing things in front of him and hovering, and trying to make him eat..I handed the reins back to him..let him teach me what he needed me to know...

I don't know how this is all going to play out, none of us here do..that's the nature of cats..and the dances they do..

But I do know that the support and energy sent by the family here is a mighty and powerful medicine...

Hugs to you all

(Gussie is high on LL mojo and pharmaceuticals and feeling no pain at the moment, resting...)
    :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

37. Marje and Gracie

Oh Les....I'm so very sorry. I think the absolute hardest thing is when our kitties won't eat and we have no idea why not. We do everything to get them to eat enough calories to stay alive and stay away from fatty liver.

What I have found is that the intestines, liver, gall bladder, and pancreas are so close together that if there is an issue with one, it is not improbable that the tests for pancreatitis have abnormal values. That's why it's a very good idea that you are doing the ultrasound.

He is a brave little soldier and he's so lucky to have you. I only hope that you will have an answer soon and you will have a path forward and I hope it will be one that will allow him to feel like eating and increase his QOL. I hope whatever it is, there is a simple fix and he will feel much better.

:bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

38. Gussie's mom (GA)

Thank you, I had not even thought of that point, that involvement with any neighboring organs could cause that kind of a lab result..when they do the ultrasound I will ask that they be sure to look at the whole interior so to speak if they weren't going to..
    I am really hoping his liver has not been compromised thru this marathon of food aversion..
    Thanks again @Marje and Gracie I would not have had the mental wherewithal, right now to have put that connection together..( tho I should have).
    Hugs,
    Les

HWright likes this.
  39. Red & Rover (GA)

Red & Rover (GA) Well-Known Member

If nothing turns up pancreatitis-wise, you might ask the vet about a motility problem. Not wanting to eat, constipation … Motility can be worked with. Get some rest, Les.

40. Barbara & Uncle (GA)

Sorry, I'm calling you out on that one:bighug:. It's so hard when you're in the middle of it. I know how our spirits can rise and fall when we see how physically vulnerable they are. Any cat would be lucky to have you for a mom and caretaker.

41. Gussie's mom (GA)

Thank you! Will add it to my written " I need this answered before I let you go " vet list for Tuesday!!

Barbara & Uncle (GA) likes this.
  42. Gussie's mom (GA)

Aww thanks:bighug::bighug: I'll tell Gussie you said that as he is snarling at me and running from me!;):bighug::p

43. Barbara & Uncle (GA)

He's got a special way of showing his appreciation:smuggrin:

44. Gussie's mom (GA)

Thank you for a really needed chuckle!:joyful::joyful::bighug:

HWright and Barbara & Uncle (GA) like this.
  45. HWright

HWright Well-Known Member

❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️

46. Marje and Gracie

@Barbara & Uncle is right, Les. When you are in the thick of it and exhausted, it's very hard to put it all together. That's why it's good to have a support team who have had different experiences.

To have fatty liver, he'd have to have a significant decrease in calories. I don't remember what Dr. Lisa said (and I'm on the way out so I'll try to find it later) but it's a pretty significant decrease. If you've been getting the majority of calories in him, he should be fine on that accord. But something is obviously going on and they should look st every single organ when they are in there.

Ask if they will let you be with him. My vets here do. One hesitated and I told him I was paying for it and I wanted to be there....plus, it would be the difference in my cat holding still or not. I don't want my cats manhandled to get them to lie still.

47. Photorecon

Photorecon Well-Known Member

Morning Leslie,

If you get back to raw you'll have more control over calorie. Could see if you can
    find some ''incentive'' to attrack Gussie and the others to eat. The dried chicken treat
    is a winner, just dust it on the food and they'll get mad. The big package for doc is not
    free but can last for some time.

Hope the internal parts are fine and will resume working together.

Super big hugs :bighug:

48. Marje and Gracie

I don't necessarily agree that raw always has more calories, ounce for ounce, but it is more nutrient dense which is also very important.

49. jayla-n-Drevon

jayla-n-Drevon Well-Known Member

:bighug:Les I'm so sorry. It is so difficult to see our little ones struggling for any reason.
    I am wondering if a chiropractor could adjust him to get the nerve off the bone ?
    More :bighug::bighug::bighug:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.