1/14 Ozzy PMPS 129, +2 155, +4 173- Bounce??

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Ozzy Pawzbourne, Jan 14, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey

Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey Well-Known Member

I don't think I would want to use that method, especially if the dose involved quarter units. As you said, too hard to get it right. Although, no doubt there are situations where it might be a good idea, I can't think of one right now. I think it would just make things more complicated.

2. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

Awesome +4! Surf it, Ozzy!!!

IMG_1384.JPG

How about a pokey break? Want to go 1.5 to 2 hours? Would you be ok with a +6?

Ozzy Pawzbourne likes this.
  3. Ozzy Pawzbourne

Ozzy Pawzbourne Well-Known Member

We are starting to think the FF may be the cause of Ozzy's upset tummy. Anyone had kitty get upset tummy from FF? What alternative foods do you feed your kitty with upset tummy? We are starting the probiotics today. How long do you think it could take to see improvement?

Taffysmama likes this.
  4. Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey

Do you suspect all FF or just one flavor? Could be a sensitivity to a specific protein.

5. Ozzy Pawzbourne

Love this!! Ya, so cute!
    Ya, I'm ok with a +6. I gotta run to the post office before they close and send a very special person a very special gift.

Marje and Gracie likes this.
  6. Ozzy Pawzbourne

OMG...I seriously have no idea. He gets the chicken, beef, and turkey ones. I'm so tired of seeing the brown vomits and all over my white carpets. I also don't want him to be throwing up. Poor kitty. He seems fine otherwise. He is sunning himself in the back bedroom now. The sun finally came out here in CA after days and days of gloomy skies and rain.

7. Ozzy Pawzbourne

We still have a whole bottle of the antinausea meds the vet gave us when he came home from the hospital. Think we should try to give him some?

8. Ozzy Pawzbourne

you know...he also didnt want his treat. maybe he is nauseated??

9. Taffysmama

Taffysmama Well-Known Member

Yes! I was using it as a mix-in at first after Dx (with his RadCat) but discontinued about a month ago. I still use some RadCat in a pinch, but I am making my own foods, no bone, with a completer vitamin mix. Planning to try some other raws soon, too. (Taffy mostly ate RadCat for the last 3+ years)

10. Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey

Is he sniffing the food and turning away, licking his lips? Has he kept any food down since his last vomit?

What meds are you referring to? Ondansetron (Zofran)? Cerenia?

11. Ozzy Pawzbourne

Well he is not happy with all raw yet. Any other ideas for some canned food? We could give him some tuna and boiled chicken for next meals to see if he settles.
    Could some of the raw maybe not been good? Figgie is fine and ate way more of it.

12. Ozzy Pawzbourne

I didnt see him eat this am. Hubby fed him. But he has been esting for me last few days. Med starts with an M. going to look for bottle. brb.

13. Ozzy Pawzbourne

could it be the lantus?????

14. Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey

Very doubtful.

15. Ozzy Pawzbourne

its called meroclopramide. for anti nausea.

16. Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey

I've never heard of that, but I looked it up. Interesting. Have you give it to him before? Did it help?

17. Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey

Here's a great page full of info on nausea in cats. It's from Tanya's CRF site, which is geared toward cats with kidney issues, but this info can apply to all cats. This med is also called Reglan, and she mentions it on her page about nausea meds.

18. Ozzy Pawzbourne

yes, when he came home from hospital with DKA. He wasn't eating well. Reminds me to get an other ketone test today asap!

19. Marje and Gracie

Metaclopromide (reglan) is for motility. The drugs for nausea are ondansetron (zofran) and, to a lesser degree, cerenia (maropitant). Most vets give the latter.

20. Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey

I still think a lot of his problem was he was getting a bunch of different, new foods. Cats are notoriously susceptible to tummy upset due to switching foods.

Jill & Alex (GA) likes this.
  21. Taffysmama

Last edited: Jan 14, 2017
  22. Ozzy Pawzbourne

Ok, I'm back from my post office errand. Just did +6 test= 92. Ozzy is cruising today. Glad I gave him his shot. Wonder what tonight's PS will be. I can't imagine he will bounce, he's been cruising for over 24 hours straight (YAY!) but never say never.

23. Ozzy Pawzbourne

This is what we think is going on, too. But we really don't know.
    What would you suggest? Stay on the FF and see if he adjusts?
    Try some boiled chicken and tuna only for the next few meals and see if things settle down.
    He actually has not thrown up today (yet)...but did last night. He did a doozy in my bedroom on my white burbur carpets...and got inside BOTH of my shoes. Thanks Ozzy!:banghead::banghead::facepalm::facepalm:

24. Ozzy Pawzbourne

Haha! No, not wanting an award!
    I was just curious last night what the trophy points are all about .If you click on a members name, it shows how many messages and trophy points you have. I have never seen anyone with any trophy points, including very senior members. My only award will be to keep Ozzy regulated!

25. Marje and Gracie

Hey...you got the BOS award today...it is very coveted!!!;)

I wouldn't give tuna....especially not human tuna. While many brands state "tuna in spring water" on the can, if you look at the ingredients, it usually includes vegetable broth which has onions, soy, and similar ingredients that cats should not have.

You could try an elimination diet where you just pick one protein and stick with it u less he barfs. If he does, try another or better yet, try something like the Natures Variety Instincts novel proteins....they have several. I believe they are generally LC but not positive.

Gorgeous surf today!!! You might grab a +9 so we can see where he's headed. Sound good?

26. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

The "Trophy points" are deactivated on the message board....they were there for a short time when we first moved to this new software but then they went "poof"

27. Ozzy Pawzbourne

ok, maybe I'm a dork here...but you are talking about virtual parties, right? Or people were actually going to each other's houses physically to drop off soup? hahah

28. Ozzy Pawzbourne

yep!

29. Ozzy Pawzbourne

Dang!! Lol!

30. Ozzy Pawzbourne

When you have time, can you please send me your info on how you make your own food?
    Marje, I think you posted a link somewhere too but don't remember where. Please send if you can. Thanks.

31. Marje and Gracie

All virtual but tons of fun, lots of laughs, and a big stress reliever. Maybe if I have time, I can go back through and find a really funny day but...thet depends on whether I can access the old board, I think.

I buy the EZ Complete powder from Food Fur Life and add it with water to ground meat. You can also add it to meat chunks but the EZC already has bone in it so you don't want meat with bone although you can buy meat with bone and cut the meat off of it. You can also cook the meat and then add the supplement.

32. Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey

@Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA) usually posts party notices when there is a special full moon. She does it in a separate post from Rusty's condo. It's all in good fun, we all respond for our kitties with stuff like: I can't wait! I loves niptinis! - Cinco Here is an example of one of the posts.

33. Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey

Their Instincts Grain Free line run 0-3%.

34. Ozzy Pawzbourne

Cute! That is fun. We are officially crazy! Hah:woot:

35. Ozzy Pawzbourne

When do we shoot again tonight? Gotta get back to 7-730ish by Monday am uf possible.

36. Ozzy Pawzbourne

not going to make it to Walmart today- we have in-laws coming for dinner and I was tagged to make hand made pasta. Headed to store now. Going to drop by the rite aid next door to see if I can get the probiotic. Florastor,right? I see they might carry it there. If not, what other ones might I be able to buy that would be ok to give to kitty? Also, what do I do, just open capsule and put in food???? Headed out now, so if you have a chance to respond, thanks in advance!!

37. Ozzy Pawzbourne

they didnt have that one but had renew life ultimate flora. i remember that one being mentioned yesterday. buying now.

38. Taffysmama

I am not sophisticated enough (yet) to do the whole thing from scratch, ala Dr. Lisa Pierson's recipe, so I use vitamin completers. There are several good ones, you have to find which your guys like best. I started with Alnutrin (w/eggshell) for boneless meats. You can request a free sample and just send them a prePaid envelope. The sample is small, but mixes with 1lb boneless meat and some fresh liver (amounts in directions come with). www.knowwhatyoufeed.com

They like that one pretty well, but we tried the mix by the Young Again pet food company (Carnivore Raw w/ calcium) and Taffy seems to like it even better. No need to buy and add liver to this one, as it has liver powder and I think that is the flavor Taffy likes. Also, this one comes in small packets to mix with 2 lbs meat and therefore makes more servings. I purchased just 3 packets at first to try ($3 each) and have reordered now. www.youngagainpetfood.com

There is another called EZ Complete by Food Fur Life (the one Marje mentioned) created by some Facebook Raw Feeding members whom I am very familiar with, and I guess a lot of cats like it, but my two won't touch it and I have tried several times. I really wanted them to, but they just don't. It has Green Lipped Mussel and liver is included, too. (You may have my bag to try if you like, as I don't think they send samples.)

I generally purchase organic grass fed chicken thighs at Sprouts or Whole Foods (organic bcuz they have less chance of intolerance issues bcuz grass fed instead of corn, and bcuz Taffy is royalty)(the one time I got the regular chicken thighs I had major guilt!). Plus, I find the better quality meats to be healthier looking and they don't gross me out at all to handle. You get what you pay for, and nothing but the best for my boys! I'll eat Ramen. At Whole Foods, look for the multipaks for a better price. I cut the meats into large chunks and put in the freezer for a while, not until solid. They just go thru the grinder better when partially frozen and make a nicer-looking grind instead of a mushy one. You can also clean off some fat if you feel necessary, but the cuts are generally pretty cleaned up. You can also just cut into smaller bite sized pieces and mix in the vitamin powders if your guys like to chew, but most cats new to raw don't know what to do with chunks, and Taffy is one of those, so I use a hand grinder. It works great, it's super cute, made in Italy, and it suctions hard onto the counter. And, it's called a "Mincy". I love my Mincy. She was $14 bucks at a Marshall's!! But I have seen them online. Of course, there are other types of (metal, clamp-on) hand grinders, but not as cute as Mincy. I had an electric grinder, but it was a pain, I decided not to do bone anyhow, and it was messy to clean. No need for electric if you are not grinding bone. So, grind your par frozen meat, follow the directions on the packets and mix everything up and portion (I use glass jars, 6 oz each). Easy peasy. Cheaper than RadCat and premium canned.

Oh, yea, you can use with cooked meat, too. I do this sometimes when cats are ill. I very very gently poach the thighs and then finish the same way.

39. Taffysmama

Here's my Mincy + box. She was $16.99 apparently. I have pics of me making/grinding, but don't know how to upload already taken pics. 1484440756468-1171527277.jpg 148444080324243772402.jpg

40. LizzieInTexas

LizzieInTexas Well-Known Member

Getting ready for football but just wanted to check in and give you a congrats! Well done. :bighug::):cat:

41. Marje and Gracie

It depends. I would test at +9 and see where he is. If he is yellow or more, you can shoot at +11 which would be 7:30. Then tomorrow morning you could shoot at 7:30 and tomorrow night at 7.

If he's still hanging out in fairly good numbers, the earliest you should shoot tonight is 8. And then we'd need to see where he is tomorrow but if you shot st 8 tonight, you could shoot at 8 tomorrow morning, 7:30 tomorrow night.

The Renew Life Ultimate Flora is fine but if it doesn't have Saccharomyces boulardii in it, it will not likely help with getting the soft poo under control quickly. The Florastor has the same strains as the regular Renew Life Ultimate Flora and it also has the S. boulardii for the soft poo. What is the cfu of the Renew Life you bought?

42. Ozzy Pawzbourne

I got this one...just didn't have time to type that out at the store! Lol.

How do I give it? Put it in food? How much? Whole capsule?

Taffysmama likes this.
  43. Ozzy Pawzbourne

44. Marje and Gracie

If you got the S. boulardii, start slow.....1/2 cap twice a day until his poos improve and then 1/4 cap twice a day.

I don't know how he will react to it in his food. It might not be an issue but I don't like to take chances so I mix it with a little food and water and syringe it but my cats are super easy to syringe.

So you might want to test him at about +10.45 because he might start heading up fast...or not. That would give you 15 mins to get his shot ready if he has boomed up into yellow. Still shooting 1.25u as he has not earned a reduction.

Sound good?

45. Ozzy Pawzbourne

yes, thats in 10 mins. He hasnt come for food since I gave him a snack around 2-3ish. But we have company over so he usually likes to hide out. He should be hungry when its time to eat. Boiled chicken or FF? Will get him probiotocs some how.

46. Marje and Gracie

I am not sure what to tell you about the food. It depends on where his numbers are. If he's still cruising in blues and greens, I'm thinking you want some carbs in him and boiled chicken is virtually zero.

47. Ozzy Pawzbourne

@Marje and Gracie +10.45=135.

His numbers are still good but he doesn't seem to be feeling well today. :( He has just been hanging out in the back room. But that could be normal and I could be over reacting.

When should we feed him again? I am hoping he will eat. Since he hasn't had food for several hours, he should be hungry when it's time to eat. If he is hesitant, I am definitely going to know something is up.

Should we take it easy on his tummy tonight and just give him the boiled chicken Hubby made for him this afternoon? Or give him the FF? We will try to mix the probiotic into his food and see what happens. If he's picky, we will syringe it to him. How much food to you usually mix it with? I am hoping we don't have to give him a full syringe worth..

48. Ozzy Pawzbourne

When should we F/S?

49. Marje and Gracie

I wouldn't shoot before 8 if he were mine. He could just be done with this shot and when the next onsets, he could come right back down.

Although, if I really was a betting girl, I'd think he would start up for the night because the reduced dose ought to start kicking in. However, I have seen some cats who scoff that reduced dose and keep on chugging when they onset.

50. Ozzy Pawzbourne

Ya! He just came out to visit me and snuggle. I am so happy! I think he's hungry, too. This is part of his hungry lovin' dance! So we should shoot at 8pm??? I can wait until then.

51. Marje and Gracie

I would not shoot any earlier than that with a 135 late in the cycle.

52. Ozzy Pawzbourne

ok, will feed him here in about 10 mins. Should I grab one more test before?

We will do the 1.25U again.

53. Marje and Gracie

You will need a PMPS test. Sorry, Oz man.

Best to feed after you test, ok?

54. Ozzy Pawzbourne

yep, that's the drill.

Will test at 7:50p, feed right after and then shoot at 8pm.

55. Ozzy Pawzbourne

+11 =129 so he dropped down a bit.

He is eating now with the probiotic in his food. He's eating ok so I'm glad. 1.5oz of FF chicken.

56. Marje and Gracie

Boy oh boy!! So you're shooting 1.25u, yes?

57. Ozzy Pawzbourne

2 completely blue and green cycles! Wow! Go Ozzy!!:):):)

58. Ozzy Pawzbourne

That's what you recommend, right?????

59. Marje and Gracie

Yes but will you be ok with green numbers potentially on your own because you know me...in bed by midnight.

60. Ozzy Pawzbourne

I shot a lower number this morning, but he only got 1U and it's the PM cycle (lower, right?) . My kitty doesn't like his mama to sleep.

61. Marje and Gracie

Maybe...maybe not.

62. Ozzy Pawzbourne

@Marje and Gracie Crap...he only ate half his food. I don't know where the meds were. :arghh::arghh::arghh::arghh:

Still same dose? What if he is not going to eat well tonight if I need him to?

63. Ozzy Pawzbourne

we can syringe the other half of the probiotic in a little bit.

64. AZJenks

AZJenks Well-Known Member

Awesome day Ozzy!

65. Marje and Gracie

I'm not sure if you are sending me a message you don't want tomshoot 1.25u ;). Normally, that is what you would do.

66. Ozzy Pawzbourne

He didn't eat all his food. A little nervous if we give full dose and he goes low he won't eat for me.

67. Marje and Gracie

It's your call....you hold the syringe.

68. Ozzy Pawzbourne

Ok, I was probably being a chicken **** like this am...I am getting PS anxiety! I gave him the full dose. We were late because he ate slow..

Mommy has an upset tummy now, too!! What's in the water over here??:(:(

LizzieInTexas likes this.
  69. Ozzy Pawzbourne

Company will be leaving soon, maybe he will finish his meal after all the commotion is over.

70. Beth 73

Beth 73 Well-Known Member

Yeah Ozzy !!! You and ur momma are awesome !!! Now let her sleep tonight, ok ???

71. Marje and Gracie

I'm sorry!!!! I hope you aren't getting sick.

He's been pretty flat. I'm thinking you could go to +2 unless it makes you nervous.

72. Ozzy Pawzbourne

No, I am ok with +2.

Probably not getting sick...I have thyroid disease, it pretty much jacks up your entire body. Probably shouldn't have eaten gluten but the inlaws wanted hand made pasta. I am no stranger to tummy problems myself so I can sympathize with Ozzy.

73. Ozzy Pawzbourne

Wish his tummy problems were not overshadowing the joy we feel for his green blue cycles!! If it's not one thing, its another...:blackeye:

Gussie's mom (GA) likes this.
  74. Marje and Gracie

I hope you both will feel better. His tummy issues worry me.

75. Ozzy Pawzbourne

Me, too. What do you think could be causing them besides way too many food changes?

His pancreas was fine on his blood tests at the hospital about 6 weeks ago. Could that have changed in the last 6 weeks with him being high with his sugars? BTW... he hasn't vomited again today but he is not eating as well.

Are you really opposed to me giving him some of the anti nausea meds I mentioned above? He did fine on them when he was taking them after the DKA. He only took them for about a week, though. It wasn't long term.

Hubby's parents are still here because they are addicted to Sopranos re-runs on HBO. Hubby has a penchant for wanting to eat Italian food, drink red wine, and watch Italian shows. He is German but I am Italian...and he's obsessed with my culture. Haha!:woot::woot:

76. Ozzy Pawzbourne

If his GI problems are related to food changes, how long until we can expect improvement once taking the probiotics?

77. Ozzy Pawzbourne

Looking back at Ozzy's day on his SS. It is interesting that he started with such a low PS but then he never went back down below that number. He rose a little and then stayed flat most of the day. Not sure what happened after +6 - +9, suppose he could've dropped lower but I just find ..it interesting that I was afraid he was going to go super low and he never got down below his PS number today.

78. Marje and Gracie

He could have colitis, gastritis, enteritis.....really hard to say. I think it is your decision whether you want to give metaclopromide :):):) Just because I am not fond of it for nausea doesn’t mean you shouldn’t give it if your vet gave you extra to give him. It is prescribed by some vets for gastritis and also for vomiting. If that’s what your vet has prescribed and you think he needs it to make him feel better, than you should follow your vet’s instructions. Wish I was a vet...but I’m not:p:p

Probiotics take a bit to work. Sometimes if a cat has diarrhea, you have to do emergency stop dosing on the S. boulardii. Hopefully, he will respond to it in a day or so max. If it makes him sick, stop it, give him a day, and then restart with 1/8 cap bid. However, the 1/4 cap bid shouldn’t make him ill..but...you know ECID.

He had a perfect “curve” today. Perfect. As Lyresa would say “happy dance!!”.

79. Ozzy Pawzbourne

+2=155. He's actually going up.

He didn't eat much of his dinner so not sure we can claim that as a food spike. Usually by +2 the lantus has kicked in and he starts to drop. Who knows, maybe he's on his way to a bounce.

We messed up and gave him some BFF tuna with pumpkin and he threw it up right after. Poor kitty. He didn't eat much of the FF chicken earlier so we thought he might like that. This was his first time vomiting today, but what a mess. All over the white burbur carpet. Resolve Pet Smart is a miracle btw. We syringed him 1/2 cap of the probiotic and then a little while later caved and gave him some anti-nausea meds. I just want him to feel better. Praying tomorrow is better. If this doesn't start to clear soon, he's going back in.

80. Ozzy Pawzbourne

Pray to GOD he does not drop too low tonight and still won't eat. That could be a disaster. That's why I gave him the antinausea, just in case I need him to eat later...o_O:blackeye::(

81. Marje and Gracie

You can probably give him a couple hours to test. I also think if he needs the anti nausea med, you should give him what was prescribed and see if it helps any.

Absolutely....I think you should plan to call your vet Monday. He's throwing up way too much.

I hope you have a quiet night. And no more vomit. I'm off to bed.

Good night! Great job today!!

82. Ozzy Pawzbourne

Thanks! Appreciate all your support today!!!!:bighug::bighug::bighug:

83. Ozzy Pawzbourne

Ozzy came over to snuggle and started licking my hand which is usually his way of telling me he is hungry. Gave him .5oz of FF and he gobbled it down. Whew! So happy about that. Seems the anti nausea kicked in (says to give 15 mins before feeding) and he felt ok enough to want some food. Let's just hope he keeps it down. May try it again tomorrow while continuing the probiotocs to see if this kicks his tummy back into gear.

84. Ozzy Pawzbourne

+4 =173. He keeps going up, not down. Not sure what is going on. I know I did not give him a fur shot. Maybe he is bouncing?

85. Gill & George

Gill & George Well-Known Member

Awesome numbers for Ozzy, just catching up with him now.
    He spent quite a bit of time in blue and green, so he may well be heading for a bounce, time will tell.

86. Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey

Bounces are nature's way of saying the bean needs to sleep, so I hope you are in bed snoozing now! You've had too many late nights lately!

87. Ozzy Pawzbourne

I was, yes thank you! After I saw the 173 at +4, I pretty much passed out on the couch! Lol. Ozzy was giving me a break and I really appreciated it.

88. Ozzy Pawzbourne

Yes, I believe it helped with his nausea when he was recovering from DKA.

89. Ozzy Pawzbourne

oh geez, just had time to do read this. Thanks for sharing Taffysmama. yes it does say contraindicated for cats with DM. Why the heck did my vet give it to me for Ozzy when he came home from the hospital after being released from a DKA episode.:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm: Makes me really think I need to research every vet prescribed med from now on.

I just want Ozzy's tummy problems to settle and it says it is used for anti nausea, vomiting, acid reflux, and gastritis. All possible causes of Ozzy's recent vomiting habit. I only plan to give for another 1-2 days in hope that things will settle down and then stop and see if he is better without the medicine support. If not, or if he doesn't stop vomiting in next 24-48 hrs, we will be going back to the vet.

90. Beth 73

Beth 73 Well-Known Member

:bighug:
    Oh,Jo, so sorry about your thyroid issue. Have only dealt with it with Elmo and Socks(GA at 21 yrs old) but it's not good deal . Pray your tummy settles after being such a good daughter in law :):bighug:

91. Marje and Gracie

Sometimes the warnings are because what is in the med might cause the BG or go up....or more importantly, down.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.