1/15 Maggie AMPS=165, +3=141, vet report PMPS=234, +2=144

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Alicia & Maggie (GA), Jan 15, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alicia & Maggie (GA)

Alicia & Maggie (GA) Well-Known Member

http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/...ncreatitis-3-112-6-149-pmps-133-2-127.189593/

Vet appt. at +3.5 for blood work pre-benazepril for proteinuria and to talk about Maggie's nausea, ask for cerenia. Also discuss constipation and cisapride.
    Maggie refused the "good" food (which includes her amlodipine and various sups) with various toppers, and became more and more agitated because she was hungry. I tried a little FF on top of the good food, but it didn't work. Finally tried just FF, and of course she gobbled that down. Fed her some more FF with amlodipine and Miralax.
    Put her ondasetron in a squirt of Laxatone and she licked it right up. Butter proved to be hit-or-miss because it's slippery.
    DH said she vomited at 11:30 last night.

2. Judy and Boomer

Judy and Boomer Well-Known Member

Sending more good vetty-vines!!!!

Alicia & Maggie (GA) likes this.
  3. Stacy & Asia

Stacy & Asia Well-Known Member

Sending tons of vetty vines to you today! I hope it's constipation rather than a panc flare up and things will go smoothly from here. Hope the nausea settles down too. :bighug:

Oh Maggie, you have to eat the good foods with the supplements if you want to feel better! Hope she's less picky about it for the next round.

4. Tasha & Darwin

Tasha & Darwin Well-Known Member

Sending so many good vetty vines your way - hoping you get some good answers! :bighug::bighug:

5. Mandarin'sMom

Mandarin'sMom Well-Known Member

Piling on more vetty vines! Fingers crossed that the vetty bean has some answers.

6. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

Sending good vetty vines. :bighug::bighug:

7. Alicia & Maggie (GA)

Vet thinks she has pancreatitis and it has caused her liver enzymes to be elevated. Her ALT is 616, but the normal range is 20-100. She had me stop the transdermal bupe because it can elevate these values. She gave me a 5 day course of metronidazole 6.25mg BID, and a 10 day course of zenequin 12.5mg BID. Vet gave Maggie a cerenia shot and sent me home with a new appetite stimulant named entyce. For 3 days I give entyce once a day. She said Maggie wasn't constipated, but of course she had a nice smooth poo right before the appt. We go back in 2 weeks for new blood work. Not starting benazepril for the proteinuria yet.
    @Marje and Gracie Marje, when your company leaves could you please take a look at the new labs? Thanks!

Last edited: Jan 15, 2018
    Myagi (GA) and Heidi and rawia like this.
  8. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

I hope the meds help Maggie feel better. Sending prayers.

9. Tasha & Darwin

Poor sweet Maggie! Hoping that the medications help, and the Entyce helps her appy! It worked for our dog's appetite, but she despised the taste of it - she's very hard to medicate however (and a large dog requiring quite a large dose). Sending lots of love and vines your way!! :bighug::bighug:

10. Osha

Osha Well-Known Member

I am so sorry Maggie isn't feeling well. I am glad you were able to get her into the vet. I hope the meds help!

:bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

11. Alicia & Maggie (GA)

Oh no, Maggie is like your dog and Darwin when it comes to liquid meds... "no thank you!" I haven't attempted to administer it yet, and I should say "we" haven't attempted it yet because it will definitely be a two person job!
    Thanks for the well wishes. I really don't know how serious it is at this point. Six times the normal range is huge, so I'd think her BG would be higher and she would be acting like she felt bad, but other than refusing the "good" food she's acting about normal. Or maybe I'm kidding myself.

12. Judy and Boomer

Judy and Boomer Well-Known Member

I hope the new meds help Maggie to feel better!

13. Tasha & Darwin

Ooh, good luck on getting it into her! The Orbax is such a challenge for Darwin, but he’s handling it OK.

I have seen kitties and dogs with ALTs that elevated, but are not showing an ill symptoms. It does tend to depend on why it’s that elevated. I had a dog with chronic liver disease, and at times her ALT was over 1,000 with very few symptoms (usually just decreased appetite). Animals are just a bit too tough sometimes!!

14. Alicia & Maggie (GA)

:bighug::bighug::bighug:

15. Stacy & Asia

Stacy & Asia Well-Known Member

First of all, these are for you :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

Poor Maggie girl.

Did the vet not want to address the pain, from what I understand, pancreatitis is painful. I know bupe is not ideal given her liver values at the moment, but are there any alternatives or did she think the abx would clear it fast and the pain with it? I hope all the meds help and work fast and Maggie is feeling better soon.

I hope Marje can give you insight for the labs and those liver values will come way down after you get over this hump. :bighug:

16. rawia

rawia Member

Get well soon Maggie:bighug:

17. Gill & George

Gill & George Well-Known Member

18. Alicia & Maggie (GA)

Thank you!! :bighug::bighug::bighug:
    Nothing was mentioned about pain, I should have asked, but I was expecting it to be a constipation issue. :banghead: I will ask the vet about alternatives. I'd really like something I could inject because pilling or giving liquid is so hard on her.
    Yes, I look forward to hearing from Marje, the lab guru. :)

Stacy & Asia likes this.
  19. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Good luck with the new meds. I hope they make Maggie feel better.:bighug:

I wouldn't be surprised if the Entyce increases her blood sugar. Just read an article on it's use in cats, and it works by increasing the amount of the growth hormone secreted, which in turn increases the IGF-1. Same thing the pituitary tumour does in an acro cat. Hopefully temporary though.

20. Alicia & Maggie (GA)

OK, good to know, thanks!

21. Alicia & Maggie (GA)

You called that one Wendy! PMPS=234

22. LizzieInTexas

LizzieInTexas Well-Known Member

Here is a link to some Entyce info (from Tanya's forums)

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/29057482

The reviews are not great with little improvement in appy and increased lethargy. I hope it works for Maggie. Sweet girl. :bighug:

23. Alicia & Maggie (GA)

Thanks for that Lizzie! Well, it certainly increased her appy, but for more FF, not for the low phos. food she was eating before this week, Dave's Chicken & Tuna. It also gave her energy like I haven't seen for some time. Wondering about a smaller dose tomorrow, but don't see the value unless it makes her want to eat the low phos. foods.
    +2=144

24. LizzieInTexas

That is great!

Bummer.

Maybe leave the low phos down and just keep putting her in front of it and adding topping each time? Or mix a bit of the FF into the ow phos? IDK, just throwing out suggestions.

25. LizzieInTexas

Have you tried Daves Turkey & Giblets?

26. Alicia & Maggie (GA)

That's what I've been doing the past few days. It worked for a while... until it didn't. :D Like she reads my mind and does the exact opposite, silly cat. :rolleyes:
    I think so. It's been a while, but I know I tried another Dave's I found at a small feed store and she was so-so about it. Then I found some other low carb/low phos. that she would eat and had been feeding those until recently. Might be worth another shot. Just fed her some Halo turkey & duck, and she ate it. Shhhh!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.