1/16 Maggie AMPS=212, +2=142, +5=133, PMPS=164

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Alicia & Maggie (GA), Jan 16, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alicia & Maggie (GA)

Alicia & Maggie (GA) Well-Known Member

http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/...et-report-pmps-234-2-144.189647/#post-2111792

Entyce certainly raised Maggie's BG as Wendy said. I changed to some Halo that she'd never had before and she ate that instead of insisting on FF. This AM I awoke shortly before my alarm because Maggie had yowled in the laundry room. It's been a long time since she did that. So while Entyce increased her appy I don't think it's reliable to get her to eat the food she should, and it raised her BG more than I'd like. If I give it again I may try half a dose.

2. Chubba (GA)

Chubba (GA) Well-Known Member

I’m glad there is a known reason for Maggie’s higher number this morning. I was shocked when I saw your title. Sending eating vines to Maggie. Come on back down to blues and greens, please!

Alicia & Maggie (GA) likes this.
  3. Stacy & Asia

Stacy & Asia Well-Known Member

I hope she’s eating better soon and won’t need the appetite stimulant. Hope she comes down from there soon! Feel better, Miss Maggie. :bighug:

4. Alicia & Maggie (GA)

I know! I'm so glad Wendy said to expect a higher BG or I'd be freaking out.

5. Judy and Boomer

Judy and Boomer Well-Known Member

Dr Larry recommended Entyce for Allen at one point to help raise his BG. I did some quick research and found that it wasn't recommended for pets with kidney or liver issues. Dr Larry did say he would "adjust the dose to take into consideration Allen's kidney problems". It's not approved in Canada yet (or wasn't back in November) and apparently we would be charged a $50 "emergency release" fee and then he might not be approved to get it. So we didn't try it.

6. Mandarin'sMom

Mandarin'sMom Well-Known Member

I can't remember if you have tried it yet or not, but I have had great luck with Fortiflora as a way to entice my cats to eat. I don't know what it is about it, but my cats will basically fight over food when I sprinkle some Fortiflora on it and Capone has been known to chew through the little bags to get to it.

7. rawia

rawia Member

She will get back to track soon, all this stress will raise her BG for sure. Do not worry

Meme was very high yesterday and all this because of little herball that she vomit today:(, some cats are very sensitive to pain.

Hope she feels better now:bighug:

8. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

At least you know why her BG is higher today. I hope Maggie will continue to eat for you and not need the appy stimulant. Sending prayers.

9. Alicia & Maggie (GA)

Interesting. I just didn't have enough time yesterday to research thoroughly, so my bad. Thanks!
    I've used it in the past, sometimes it works, but not early last week. Always worth a try again, thanks!

10. LizzieInTexas

LizzieInTexas Well-Known Member

Have you tried zyrtec? Not sure if Maggie can have it with other meds she is on.

11. Alicia & Maggie (GA)

As an appy stimulator or a nausea reducer?

12. LizzieInTexas

Appy enhancer.

13. LizzieInTexas

14. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

I’m not getting tags but just checked in and saw this. I have used Zyrtec for Max when he was sneezing from herpes or a uri. I had read on Tanya’s surf site that some use it as an appy stimulant and it did seem to have that effect for Max. I gave him 1/4 a regular strength with the consent of my vet. He had kidney disease at the time. I found cyproheptadine worked really well for him when he had pancreatitis. He just needed a sliver of a 4mg pill. My cancer kitty got 1/4 cyproheptadine twice a day. Cyproheptadine is an antihistamine too so probably why Zyrtec helps with the appy as well.

15. Alicia & Maggie (GA)

We've used cyproheptadine before for the antihistamine. It really amped up her appy. May ask the vet about that. Thanks guys!

Tasha & Darwin likes this.
  16. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

I’m just getting here, too, and catching up but I’m very glad to see @Wendy&Neko posted that study on Entyce because I was also going to post it for you so you’d know it can raise the BG. It’s been used extensively in dogs as an appy stimulant but not so much yet in cats. I’d read the full study before I use it, if my vet recommended it.

I looked at her labs and that is a very marked increase in her ALT in such a short amount of time. The half life of ALT is relatively short which means it is a value that can change quickly based on whatever the issue with her liver is. Gracie had intermittent increases in her ALT but they were in the 300 range, not 600. Elevations into the 300 range are considered mild but you are starting to get into the range of “more than mild” with 600s. Instead of the vet postulating that she has pancreatitis and that’s why the level is so high, she needs to actually diagnose it. Even at Gracie’s 300 range, her pancreas was totally normal. As it turns out, she had IBD and lymphoma and that’s what caused the liver enzymes to be so elevated. If Maggie were mine, I’d be thinking about more diagnostics (e.g. ultrasound) if you don’t see an improvement with the metronidazole. If she has cholangiohepatitis or something along that line, the metronidazole “could” help but Gracie could not take it so it was never an option for us.

I would also discuss with the vet giving some liver support such as milk thistle. Denamarin works well, too, however, you have to give it early in the morning on a fasted tummy for it to be effective. You can’t cut the tablet so that also makes it difficult to give. I switched to milk thistle that I got from my vet but i would most definitely talk to the vet about some liver support.....even if she thinks this is pancreatitis.

Her kidneys are looking fairly stable although her potassium is lower than I wold want to see it especially because she is getting a potassium supplement. I’d revisit the dose on that with the vet. You’ve done a great job of getting her phosphorus down!! Awesome!!!!

17. Alicia & Maggie (GA)

Thanks for all of this! It is a 5 day course of metro, so would you recommend a retest in 9 days or wait until the zenequin course is complete?
    Ordered some milk thistle just now, but will run it by the vet.
    I started a temp hold on the K supplement on 12/29 to see if that would help the box circling issues. Once I knew blood work was needed soon I decided to withhold until after that blood work to see if it showed a large drop in K, so she'd been off the sup for 17 days. I'll restart. I was pleased with the lower phos. numbers too!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.