1/16 spice + 4 weird reading

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by tajana340, Jan 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tajana340

tajana340 Member

1-16-10
    Amps 374 - .5 unit pzi vet 8am
    +10 280

Pmps 282 - .5 unit pzi vet 8pm
    +4 597 Retest 435

2. tajana340

tajana340 Member

the retest was right away and spicey has had nothing to eat or drink and not urinated until after the retest.

2 different #s in less than a min and i tested on different ears. weird

3. tajana340

tajana340 Member

I am going to wait and test her on the +5 and see what happens. I know everyone says don't worry about the high numbers but this is a huge spike from where we started at pmps. And a little worried about the next numbers since she has eaten right after the other test. I don't know if her not urinating would affect the numbers or not or if this could be a rebound.
    hum.

4. Victoria & Sundance

Victoria & Sundance Member

Please see my post in your other thread. Really... remember, one test does not make a pattern. Many of us have seen a large difference in testing from one ear to the other. Also, taking into considering meter variance and such, it's not as big a difference as it looks.

I know it's a leap higher... but it could be because she didn't eat. I don't know what your thoughts are about the food but since you are using a gentler insulin - sort of middle of the road - you don't have to make the food as much an issue as someone using vetsulin. You can feel free to free feed her and let her eat when she wants. No need to hold back for the tests. Her body knows when it needs and wants food. Maybe try free feeding her for a day or so and see how that works. Not having food can stress the pancreas as much as having food can spike the number. Let her do her thing and work the insulin around that.

5. tajana340

tajana340 Member

Spicey just never eats before her insulin shots even though she is free fed, her pattern is always to eat afterwards and what she did is normal. Her +5 572. So i think i will get a cleare picture tomorrow since i will be home most of the day. all the cats like it when i am home more.

6. Victoria & Sundance

Victoria & Sundance Member

Oh.. ok... so your comment of no food is just that, a comment... It's not that you are holding it back... no worries then. Keep in mind that this may have been a fur shot ( a missed shot)... it's harder to tell when it's a tiny dose. At least you can sleep tonight.

7. tajana340

tajana340 Member

yes which is where i am heading. see ya tomorrow or in my case a few hours.

8. Brenda and Morris

Brenda and Morris Member

I recently had a bad batch of strips and got very strange and erratic numbers. If you have control solution for your meter, you could try testing that to see if it reads correctly. If you don't have control solution, most manufacturers will give you a free bottle if you call their 800# (at least the ReliOn meter I use does). Also if the strips or the meter got into freezing temps could damage either....just throwing out thoughts! :razz:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.