1/17 Shadow AMPS=160, PMPS=175

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Pat+Raja+Shadow (GA), Feb 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pat+Raja+Shadow (GA)

Pat+Raja+Shadow (GA) Well-Known Member

+4=170
    +6=156
    +8=146
    AMPS=160 ~ 1.50u Lev (start of 5th day)
    Yesterday's Condo

Shadow ate his MM for breffis and will get another in an hour. He was purring when I tested him and seemed to happy to greet the new day. :lol: He was playing with his freshly stuffed catnip toy and enjoyed the Olympics next to me last night. Last night was uneventful with the numbers and I have to remind myself that the blue numbers are healing ones. Gee, once you start getting a few greens mixed in you become addicted to seeing more....from my point of view. I am hoping that Shadow is feeling the same way.
    Monique...how would you describe the 'German Way" that you have suggested for Shadow....weren't you part of the original German-Katzen Forum? Tight Regulation using the Tilly protocol, correct? I do believe the increase helped him so much. Thank you...

Hoping everyone enjoys their Wednesday....I guess I missed the Mardi Gras Carnival again this year... :roll:

2. Roni and Moonie

Roni and Moonie Well-Known Member

Re: 1/17 Shadow AMPS=160

Your SS & numbers are really looking great the last 2 days--Sorry I was in a mood @-) last night--sent you a pm!
    This Kitty is doing amazing!! Keep up the good work--Hugs from Us--Have a good day! :mrgreen:

3. Ronnie & Luna

Ronnie & Luna Well-Known Member

uh...correct me if I'm wrong but, don't you partee enough in this condo every day? :lol:

No worries, Pat, we can have our own Mardi Gras Parrrteee!! party_cat

Another nice start for Shadow, no more stinky ohmygod_smile annntiiiijiiinnx!

4. Pat+Raja+Shadow (GA)

Re: 1/17 Shadow AMPS=160~~Monique

Got it Roni... :D maybe Monique will take a look at Moonie's SS ...sometimes new eyes see something new.
    As it was with Shadow....our Moon kids!!! :mrgreen: I think Moonie is looking so good but maybe Monique will see something that you would feel comfortable trying...
    Moonie's condo: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=6547&p=65709#p65709

5. Monique & Spooky

Monique & Spooky Well-Known Member

Yes Pat I began in the German forum shortly after starting with Caninsulin. The German forum is mainly only for Lantus and Levemir and I was already looking into switching when I joined and they helped me to get thru the "red tape" of getting a Vet to Rx human insulin (which here is legally bound to using a animal approved insulin first) As Spooky and I came along the trials were in progress for Levemir, because we didn't have enough time for significant data collection and weren't OTJ at trial end (but we did get there!) our data was not included. The German way isn't really any different, it actually is the Tilly protocol, here in this forum they always always say "a modified version" is used. I haven't found anywhere a written explaination of the "modified" parts, but in my observations it seems dose increases are made more slowly and reductions are earned with 1x <50, whereas the protocol allows for 2x below 50 and immediatley decreasing for BG's <40. The other difference is the meter type but nowadays is also insignificant and would mean that decreases would actually be given at values <60 or 55. In the Glossary here in LL "Being German" or "visiting German" is defined as shooting low PS's or Low preshots after sliding. The main preface to using the Tilly method is the ability to monitor (spot check) frequently the first few days of dose change. Dose changes should occur every 3 days or based on nadir sooner. A dose can be held longer than 3 days if "good" nadirs are acheived. Based on the protocol I suggested Shadow need 2x below 50 to earn a decrease because previous decreases were often unsucessful (I thought he needed to really prove himself worthy :D ) I also suggested that you increase the dose based on several parts of the protocol (depends on which phase you are in)

Phase 2 (working up to a dose=increases)

If nadir blood glucose concentration 200-300mg/dL (11-17
    mmol/L)
    Increase every 3 days by 0.25-0.5 IU depending on if
    cat on low or high dose of insulin

If nadir blood glucose concentration < 200mg/dL but peak is >
    200mg/dL (11 mmol/L)
    Increase every 5-7 days by 0.25-0.5 IU depending on
    if cat on low or high dose of insulin

Phase 3 (holding the dose)
    If nadir or peak blood glucose concentration > 200mg/dL (11
    mmol/L)
    Increase dose by 0.25-0.5 IU depending on if cat on
    low or high dose of insulin and the degree of
    hyperglycemia

Here is where I place Shadow this stage doesn't specify when the changes should occur, so we can say after holding the dose for 3 days (settle time) if the following cycle no <200 numbers are measured increase the dose by .25U

What you see last night and this morning are still very good numbers and is likely a very small "bounce" from the run of greens he had but is still a very mild bounce (a slightly deflated ball). It should clear out during this cycle after the onset. If it happens at peak insulin time then he will scuba dive. He is beginning to get more overlap now and the higher PS's are leveling out. I would say it's reasonable to hold this dose for another 1-2 days, should he not have a green number in a 48 hour time I would increase and be prepared that he will drop after the shed is full.

The basic concept is to find a dose that keeps them as much time as possible in the physiologic range of healthy cat (70-120 mg/dl) this leads to maximum pancreatic healing. Shadow is getting very close to that now. You will see that the very low BG #'s will likely come early in the cycle after shooting a low PS (with the exception of last night which has bounce behind it.) As the insulin wears off towards preshot time the BG will rise slightly, you will be shooting a rising but low PS, with 3 hours till onset the BG would normally have risen quite a bit before it starts falling due to the onset. However, as the own pancreas starts working a little on it's own this happens.....

Your dose is waering off at +12 and your PS is rising but low (<150) you shoot your regular dose which has been getting good result, then you feed the cat. All of a sudden the pancreas kicks in in response to the food and begins lowering the BG before the onset of your current shot (it is working like a bolus insulin-R to lower the PS number before the onset of the basal insulin) now when your shot begins onset at +3 the BG is lower than it normally would be at this time and your heading for a "scuba dive" which will usually happen in the next 2 hours. The uncertainty here is rather feeding during that time will slow the drop or speed it up (due to action of the pancreas) My feeling is because of the presence of insulin the pancreas will be supressed (through feedback) and will not release a significant amount of insulin.

Does that make any sense? :mrgreen:

6. Lynee and Max

Lynee and Max Member

Blue numbers are healing numbers. Looking good and no doubt Shadow will be showing you more of those greens very soon.

7. Lydia--(Rosie & Basil) GA

Lydia--(Rosie & Basil) GA Well-Known Member

Nice AMPS for Shadow. Basil says to tell you every day is Mardi Gras if you have the right attitude.

8. Erica & Moses

Erica & Moses Member

Woah Basil! Mardi Gras every day?

Moses is definitely all about the beignets :mrgreen:

I like your start to the day, Shadow. It's looking like it's going to be a good Wednesday cat_pet_icon

9. Randi & Max (GA)

Randi & Max (GA) Well-Known Member

Always looking for a party eh Pat?
    They are so much fun.

So is Shadow enjoying the Olympics too??
    Very nice day he is having. I think you should read Monique's commentary to him
    so that he fully understands what he is supposd to do. :D

10. Pat+Raja+Shadow (GA)

Re: 1/17 Shadow AMPS=160, +7=177

Monique...I have printed out your post and have read it to Shadow twice so far. :lol: It will made a very nice bonding time for me as I read it to him everyday...many thanks for writing all that....my goodness....you are a wealth of information!
    I appreciate your help so much (and you were right when you said the other day that a few months ago I would not have been ready to hear what you suggested.... :lol: ) I guess I am different now...older for sure! :lol:
    Thank you also for stopping into roni's condo too....I appreciate your eyes on Moonie's beautiful SS...thanks so very much!

+4=161
    +7=177

I came back from Walmart....there was only 2 boxes of test strips there so I took them both...piggy that I am. :eek: Now I have the one I just opened and the two new ones...I am so rich I can't stand myself! :lol: I am so relieved and relaxed now...I have so many strips...I am all set now!! :thumbup

11. Sarah and Buzz

Sarah and Buzz Well-Known Member

Things are looking good today in this condo. :) I hope it continues and maybe you might even see some green tonight, or is that too much to hope for? Have a wonderful day, Pat!

12. Ronnie & Luna

Ronnie & Luna Well-Known Member

they should make a tv show for test strip hoarders! :lol:
    Pat and Shadow - u would be super stars!!

come on Shadow, sending :mrgreen: vibes ur way!

13. Sarah and Buzz

It could be like Family Feud, Ronnie, and it would be Test Strip Hoarders vs. Testaholics. A battle of wits and will, in a dead heat for the ultimate prize: a year's worth of test strips! I can hear the theme music now! I can see the lights, the glitz, the glamour, the interviews, the fame and fortune.

(Pat, hurry up with that life, please! I'm really losing it over here!)

14. Randi & Max (GA)

Randi & Max (GA) Well-Known Member

Count me in as a hoarder too. lol.
    Tomorrow I get to smuggle them in from the states and contraband beef FF.

Shadow: need the green to use up all those strips!!!!!

15. Sarah and Buzz

You sure are living on the edge, Randi! Tomorrow it's smuggled cat food, but I think that's just gateway contraband. What's next? Lancets? Syringes? Next thing you know, you will be bringing INSULIN across the border. I think we need an intervention. I'll swing by and get Pat (we know she doesn't have a life, so she should be able to get away). We have to save you from yourself.

16. Pat+Raja+Shadow (GA)

You guys are so funny.... :lol:

Shadow's day so far:
    AMPS=160 ~ 1.50u Lev
    +2=235
    +4=161
    +7=177
    +8=165
    +10=186
    PMPS=175 ~ 1.50u Lev

He is rebelling I guess....waiting for better numbers tonight...maybe..

17. Ann & Tess GA

Ann & Tess GA Well-Known Member

Shadow's looking good lately. Keep it up , Shadow.

I'm not sure which team I'd bee on. I nearly ran out once so now I really stock up, but boy do they seem to disappear fast. :lol:

Monique, thank you, I think a lot of us have printed out your explanation to study. Think calming green thoughts , Shadow.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.