1/18 Jonesy AMPS 79, shot .75 +11 189 PMPS 229 1u; +4.5 259

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Darcy and Jonesy, Jan 18, 2020.

1. Darcy and Jonesy

Darcy and Jonesy Well-Known Member

EDIT: plus 20 minutes from first test, currently at 95, still holding off shooting for a bit, NEED ADVICE re dose please; plus one hour from first test, he's at 104.4; plus 80 minutes from first test, he's at 113.4
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    We're bouncing like a ping pong ball :arghh: Last night I was hesitant to shoot "only" 1.25, now this morning I'm afraid to shoot again.

I'm so sorry. I feel like I'm being a p.i.t.a. I'm always one to give support (not necessarily advice, but support) but now I feel like I'm failing my own cat. Ugh . . . I have to WORK today so can't monitor him.

Do I skip? Do I just retest in 30 minutes? He had a nibble of food but I've pulled it away from him.

Sigh . . . :(

Yesterday's convo http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/...1-25u-pmps-472-shot-1-25.224418/#post-2511122

Last edited: Jan 18, 2020
  2. Sherry and Blackie

Sherry and Blackie Member

I would stall and retest. I'm not that experienced, hopefully someone will come along soon.

Darcy and Jonesy likes this.
  3. Christie & Maverick

Christie & Maverick Well-Known Member

Glad to see he is coming up. A couple of things - with SLGS, which you said yesterday you are following, Jonesy earned a reduction to 1u. Past issues with ketones means you need to give some insulin, skipping is not a good idea. I do not have direct experience, just what I have learned from reading here.

You shot a 95 on Jan 12th, but were able to monitor. With your work, would you be able to get an out the door test? I.e. If you were to shoot now, can you get a test at +1 or +2 before you leave?

Si am cat mom likes this.
  4. Darcy and Jonesy

I could get a +1 but that's it, then I'm not home for at least 9-10 hours

5. Christie & Maverick

Can you test again now please? Let's see where he is at...

6. Darcy and Jonesy

104.4 just now

7. Darcy and Jonesy

I'm running super late getting ready for work, give me 10 minutes and I'll check back :(

8. Judy and Freckles

Judy and Freckles Well-Known Member

9. Darcy and Jonesy

MC food? (Thank you for tagging!!! ) The only food I have other than low carb wet is dry. All my cats are on the low carb wet (gotta keep slapping makeup on! ;) ) brb!

10. Judy and Freckles

Yes, Medium carbohydrate food. Is the dry food a low carb food?

Just reading up on ketones and he needs his insulin and food and water.

11. Judy and Freckles

12. Darcy and Jonesy

No, the dry is high carb. I can't get the YA low carb in Canada. I'm seriously panicking now as I HAVE to leave the house in 30 minutes, won't be able to even do a +1 :(

13. Christie & Maverick

Sorry, had to go check on Mav...so I assume Jonesy still hasn't been fed? Are we around 1.5 hours since you started stalling? Numbers are gradually coming up, so the options I'd suggest would be to test again one more time, and if number is still coming up, you could give 1u, or maybe 0.75u so he has some insulin. You will need to make sure he has access to food while you are gone. Sorry to ask for another pokie...

Sonia & Leo likes this.
  14. Judy and Freckles

Let's hope someone with more experience will be along. Lots of variables here. Hang in there.

15. Judy and Freckles

I think Sienne is looking at your condo now. Take a deep breath... help is coming.

16. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Darcy -

It's not ideal but I think you need to skip the shot this AM. There's not enough test data from the middle of the cycle to know how Jonesy will respond if you shoot. If you can't be there to monitor, it's safer to skip.

17. Darcy and Jonesy

Thank you Sienne, not a dose of something like .5? Or is that even worse than skipping? (Thank you @Judy and Freckles for holding my hand, MUCH appreciated! :cat: )

Sherry and Blackie likes this.
  18. Darcy and Jonesy

I am home ALL day tomorrow, but then in and out Monday

19. Darcy and Jonesy

He'd had a few nibbles of his food, I put it down too quickly. But that's it. He's hungry and cranky now ;) He IS climbing, 10 minutes ago he was at 113 (I've updated the numbers not in the title but in my first comment)

20. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

You're spreadsheet doesn't have any numbers beyond the AMPS. If his numbers are continuing to rise and you're comfortable giving a token dose, that's fine. I'd also leave out some of his LC food but add a few drops of honey or syrup to it so the carbs are increased.

You need to buy some medium and high carb food so you can steer numbers when need be.

21. Darcy and Jonesy

The very top comment has all the "after amps shot" numbers, I've tested 3 times since the amps.

22. Judy and Freckles

23. Darcy and Jonesy

Just shot .75. Gonna be a long day :'( Thank everyone

24. Judy and Freckles

I think it would be helpful to have the spreadsheet information from previous days for after AMPS numbers. Like, try and test at various times (+4, +5, +6) so help can see a trend and see what Jonesy typically does.

25. Darcy and Jonesy

I'm out of the house from 8:30 am until 6 PM, I can't get many mid day tests :(

26. Judy and Freckles

I hear you, I work full time as well and it is tough. We do the best we can. Try and get in more mid cycle tests whenever you can.

27. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Darcy --

It's way too easy to miss the information if you update in your initial post. If I respond to a tag or re-open your thread, it takes me to either the tag or the point where I stopped reading. I didn't even see your edits. Please keep the spreadsheet updated. The nerds like me open your spreadsheet for every thread I look at.

28. Judy and Freckles

Last edited: Jan 18, 2020
    Darcy and Jonesy and Sonia & Leo like this.
  29. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Just a reminder for tonight...

If you are late for a shot, you have to migrate your time backwards. If you shot 90 min late this morning, you have 2 options. You can shoot 30 min. early once a day or 15 min early at each shot time until you are back on schedule. (Early shots act like a dose increase and late shots act like a dose reduction. This is why you adjust in small changes so you don't have a big impact on the dose.)

30. Darcy and Jonesy

Thanks Sienne! So, if I'm doing spot checks, is it okay if I just enter it into the notes at the far right of the spreadsheet? If not, how do I enter in a couple of tests, into one box? (Does that make any sense?!)

31. Judy and Freckles

I like it for the test numbers can go in one spreadsheet cell rather than typing it in the comments. If you type it in the cell, the numbers will be there but it won't auto colour. You can do that later. Here is an example from a spreadsheet.

upload_2020-1-18_15-32-4.png

You can put the proper colour in by choosing the tab at the top of your spreadsheet. It looks like a little can of paint being poured. (5th tab in the picture below).

upload_2020-1-18_15-34-15.png

32. Darcy and Jonesy

Thank you Judy!! Just got home, did a +11. I played with the spreadsheet and you're totally correct. I could have entered ALL the info into the one box! *face palm*

33. Darcy and Jonesy

Back home, Jonesy was just fine all day (yay!) He'd eaten two bowls of FF throughout the day, one of which had a few drops of syrup in it.

Just did a +11. Now . . . I'm wondering what I should be shooting when it comes to the PMPS? Of course it will depend on what numbers he throws at me, but I just wanted to put the question out there now so as to not delay his shots anymore than I did this morning. (On the plus side? This mean I get to sleep in a bit tomorrow! heehee)

I shot .75 for his morning shot, but he's all over the board. Do I go with the 1.25? 1u? (off to put laundry in . . . ;) )

Judy and Freckles likes this.
  34. Christie & Maverick

I mentioned it earlier this morning, but there was a lot going on at the time :). Since you are following SLGS that 79 earned a reduction. Even though you did a token dose of 0.75u this morning, you'll want to shoot 1u tonight. And if possible, a before bed test tonight would be a good idea, just so hopefully there aren't any surprises tomorrow morning ;).

35. Darcy and Jonesy

YAY! Thanks for commenting :D He's at 229 now and I was planning on shooting 1.25. But you're thinking 1U?

36. Christie & Maverick

Yes, 1u...you are fairly new in gathering data, and since you mentioned you wanted to follow SLGS, my suggestion is based on that guideline for people who are just starting to get impressions of how their kitty responds to insulin. If it were me I'd take the reduction.

37. Christie & Maverick

Sorry Darcy, for additional clarity, I also should have mentioned that we don't really know how low Jonesy went last night. Maybe that 79 was the lowest, but it is also very possible he went lower earlier in the cycle and was on his way back up by preshot. That's why I also suggested getting into the habit of a test before bed. Many kitties like to go lower at night.

38. Judy and Freckles

Just a reminder of Sienne's earlier post.

Glad to hear Jonesy had a good day!