1/19 Tigger AMPS/359 +2/177 +3/199 Bounce & Dose Ques.

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Tigger's Friend, Jan 19, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tigger's Friend

Tigger's Friend Well-Known Member

Good Afternoon, LL
    Tigger's last Condo

Been thinking of you all, & have been errant in posting - real life intervenes all too often around here.

Our last post, I had an itchy trigger finger - luckily Sienne convinced me to hold & wait out a possible bounce. She was right - this dose yielded some good numbers, combined with including some 4% with Tigger's fuds.

I found on several days the need to use gravy (1-2 T since Tigger weighs about 14 pounds) to keep Tigger above 50. We were successful, so no reduction. The last green dip, I didn't used higher % fuds, Tigger maintained a great surf above 65 all on his own - :D Then suddenly, we're in what appears to be a prolonged bounce (THANKS JILL& ALEX for the great NDW & Bounce Post.)

:?: So - this makes me wonder - did Tigger go into a prolonged bounce because A) I should have lowered his dose because I was working too hard to keep him above 50 (see Marje's excellent post on Reductions) or B) is this dose starting to fail? We were having green/blue days & pink/yellow nights until this point. We did get a flash of blue +2-3 this AM - the 6th cycle on the bounce.

:?: I'm wondering if I should do a slight increase Monday AM if the numbers stay high, or remain patient at this dose awhile longer?

Problem is I'm having jaw pain x 1 week & need to get to a dentist or chiro for TMJ asap this week. Nearest location is 1.5 hrs roundtrip + appt. + x-rays if needed. I won't be able to monitor Tiggger well at all this week until I get this pain diagnosed & dealt with. I can't decide the best course of action between these 2 issues, so figured I'd put it out to the LL group to see what better minds have to say?

Thanks so much - as always I appreciate the help! Positive thoughts & support out to anyone in need - kitty or bean. Hope everyone's doing well & improving.

2. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Hi Suzanne - so good to hear from you and Tigger. Sorry about the jaw pain. :YMHUG:

Bounces can take 6 cycles to clear and I think today is the 6th. So, he could still be in bounce mode. The fact that he saw blue today is promising. I don't try to over analyze why Neko bounces, she just does. :roll: Tigger has also had a couple cycles where he dropped 50+ points an hour, that's another reason they bounce. And he did drop 130 points in two hours this morning, so that could set up another B.

As for strategy on what to do, I think you should take care of you first, so you can take care of Tigger. Depending on when you get your appointment next week and whether Tigger clears the bounce tonight, then I'd decide what to do. But first priority is you. If your appt is later in the day, and you could get a +2/+3 in, you can always leave HC out for him to snack on. If DH will still be at home, he could do some feedings too. If you can't monitor well until after the appt, I'd hold off on the increase.

3. Tigger's Friend

Thanks, Wendy, it's nice to hear from you, too!

Good advice, I think that's what I'll do. I keep hoping Tigger will get better faster, but that isn't the case yet. I'm the only one here who can test, feed, shoot, worry - that's taking a toll on me, I think. DH's unable to assist except potentially feed when I'm away. It's hard to leave knowing Tigger can dive pretty quickly, and we live 30 min. from town so I can't hire someone to help.

Tigger did end end up going lower today - to 137, so I think there's still some life in this current dose yet. I'll hold this dose again & wait till I get my jaw pain settled. :?: Can I can give him several ounces of HC / gravy if I need to leave him for several hours for a doctor appt. & he's going lower?

Thanks again, you guys are my hold on sanity!

4. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

I think you've gotten used to Tigger clearing bounces quickly. I agree with Wendy -- the AM cycle was the 6th cycle after the bounce and it looks like the bounce cleared with some low blues. At least with Gabby, I tend to think there are times when her pancreas just gets tired and I see some higher than appreciated numbers!

5. Tigger's Friend

Re: 1/19 Tigger PMPS/211 HC fud ques. last post

Thanks, Sienne, you were certainly right the last time - I'm really glad I didn't listen to me & listened to you instead! That does make sense about the pancreas needing a break. I know I ask alot of questions - it just helps me if I can wrap my mind around an issue. I understand life doesn't always give us that opportunity, tho!

:?: If I get a squeeze-in at the doctor this week, I'll be gone 2+ hrs, extra if I need x-rays, so maybe 3+ hours. I may not get to choose an appt. when Tigger's bouncing or apt to be in higher numbers. Wendy suggested leaving HC out while I'm gone - do you think 1/2 small can of gravy is enough / too much? He'll eat it all at once. DH can check on him & feed him q. hour, but DH can't test. I don't like to leave Tigger alone like that, but I've gotta deal with this. :YMSIGH:

6. julie & punkin (ga)

julie & punkin (ga) Well-Known Member

if DH can feed Tigger, i think i'd test him right before you leave for your appt, and if you think he's going to need food, have DH feed him every 1/2 hr or so. he can pretend to be a Timed Feeder! He could give LC for most of it, or gravy - depending on what your crystal ball says about what Tigger's blood sugar is going to do over the next 3 hrs.

Often a couple of tests prior to leaving will point the direction the blood sugar is going - that might help you make your prediction.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.