GA 1/2 Sootie(GA) & Tribe: mixed bag day

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by HWright, Jan 2, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HWright

HWright Well-Known Member

http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/1-1-sootie-clan-godt-nytar.170572/

A late condo start day. Brought Spunky to vet this morning bc she started vomiting quite a lot. Any visit to vetty with her is a gamble bc she is so...mercurial...one never knows whether she will be sweet and calm or turn on a dime in the other behavioral direction. The latter was one of those days. During blood draws she does better with me present. Today she was more scared than hellacious.

B/W (forget to get copy; I'll pick up tomorrow when bring Azalea in for her fluids, b12 and quickie recheck) vet said were in normal range for the most part except liver values were high again. She also has a chronic excessive wax buildup from her 'post-polyp' ear (when she came to me three years ago from a high kill shelter euth list, she had a bloody, literally bloody, polyp the size of a piece of cauliflower extending from her inner ear to beyond the pinna). The waxy buildup is odorless but has increased a lot.

Spunky got convenia and cerenia injections today. I bring her back on Thursday for sedation so that vet can clean and thoroughly recheck the ear.

Rain turned to hail while we headed home. Big change from yesterday when the 'polar bears' ambled at the beach. Steve has become tied to the hip with his smart phone..now venturing into the camera feature.

Azalea, Bella and Dancer started out the morning chipper and happy appy. Both Bella and Dancer assisted me in the stair ascent, Bella at the top landing, Dancer weaving her way one stair tread ahead of me all the way.

Azalea full of cuddles this morning and didn't mind Dancer's tentative first foray into her room.

Oh yes I have a technical question about posting:
    Do I continue to do the blue GA when starting a new condo?
    Or make sense to change my member name to, say, Sina and Sootie (GA) ?
    I'm asking cuz I want to do what's right and makes most sense. And I admit, tears flow when I add the blue GA.

With love hugs and appy vines for all in need today,
    Sina

Ps including Steve's photo of yesterday's polar bears at the beach...one of his first photos on his now indispensable device. Shows plenty of watchers, too few plungers adventurous enough to dip their toes in low tide. Times sure have changed...

Attached Files:

2. Barbara & Uncle (GA)

Barbara & Uncle (GA) Well-Known Member

I personally don't want to see that right now. That's my vote if I get one. I know there is probably protocol and etiquette to be followed and I know I'm new here and don't want to stir anything up. I'm wondering what that harm would be in leaving it off. The worst that could happen is that someone who didn't know better may refer to Sootie in the present tense. If that wouldn't upset you, why not leave it off until and unless you feel in your heart you want to change it?

HWright and Kathy and TiTi like this.
  3. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

Good question. I didn't know what to do either. So far I left mine alone. If I change to name now people wouldn't know who I am (hmmmm, maybe that's a good thing).

Will be interesting to see what people say.

HWright likes this.
  4. LizzieInTexas

LizzieInTexas Well-Known Member

You do what feels right for you. I am fairly new too and don't know "protocol" either but it doesn't matter to me (imo). :bighug::arghh:

I wonder if cats have equilibrium problems like humans? (The polyps in the ear being the cause for vomiting).

HWright and Kathy and TiTi like this.
  5. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

I don't think you need to keep adding the GA or change you name unless you want to. Sorry about Spunky. I hope she feels better soon and her ear can be taken care of easily. I'm glad the other kitties are doing well. Sending prayers.

HWright likes this.
  6. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

I think starting the Subject Line with "OT" is good, when you are ready. I have not been able to add GA to J.D.'s name.

HWright likes this.
  7. Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey

Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey Well-Known Member

Sina,

Just had a chance to read your condo from yesterday, but decided to respond here:

It is so bittersweet, I know, to see the other kitties rallying 'round and trying to fill in the hole in their midst, all the while conscious of what's missing. One must go on, but some days are harder than others. How lovely to have a tribe of furry ones, and an understanding partner, to travel that road with you, easing the burden and reminding you of the good things life still has to offer.

On to today: I'm sorry that Spunky has been feeling unwell. I hope that is soon rectified with the vet visits and cleaning of the ear. I, too, wonder if that is the source of the entire issue.

I notice in the photo that the few brave souls that took the plunge were fully clothed. I was under the impression that a polar bear plunge involved bathing suits? Not that I would do it, fully clothed or not! Brrr![​IMG]

Regarding the GA: Use it as you wish. Most people only put the icon on their subject line in the post that announces the crossing. You'll notice that many of us that have lost kitties recently have not changed our screennames. I was unable to add GA to mine when Harvey crossed, as I had used up all my characters already! I simply put it, with the date he crossed, in my signature block. That lets anyone that cares to look know that he is no longer here, but it doesn't punch me in the chest everytime I sign on. You can also keep your screenname the same or change it, as it suits you. No rules there.

I'm glad Azalea is eating and seems to be doing well. She holds a special place in my heart.

I wish you and your family (four legged and two), a joyful, healthy New Year. We all had enough sorrow in 2016 and are ready for many happy times ahead.
    :bighug::bighug::bighug:

8. Kathy and TiTi

Kathy and TiTi Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear about Spunky's vomiting. Any idea what it is from? And Azalea has some sort of ongoing medical problem? I have a bunch of cats, too, and it's lovely, but when several are sick at the same time, it's unlovely .

Why add GA? So you can be reminded of your loss every time you post? Naaaa.

By the way, I forgot that you live in CT., so I was looking for furry white polar bears.

9. Gussie's mom (GA)

Gussie's mom (GA) Well-Known Member

I think we all look for and love HWright and seeing Sootie there with us as she always will be in our hearts here.
    If it hurts you then I would change it, if it brings you comfort keeping it then I think you should do that..follow your heart, we support you in any choice you make :bighug:
    Sending vines to your tribe, Steve ( very cool photo, gorgeous crisp sky and details, nice!) , and you Sina..:bighug::bighug:
    I am glad your kits are circling in the love to help you adjust to your new normal:bighug::bighug::bighug:

10. Lincolns Mom

Lincolns Mom Well-Known Member

:bighug::bighug::bighug:whatever is easier on your heart right now is my vote... i find there are more then enough reminders around you when one crosses, i dont know if your heart needs to see it every day... but i love that you are still here and that we can all still send you hugs and vines, and that we continue to get the updates on your pride... little Azalea always has me checking in for sure!:bighug::bighug::bighug:

11. HWright

Barbara & Uncle (GA) and Dyana like this.
  12. Bobbie And Bubba

Bobbie And Bubba Well-Known Member

Sina, As far as adding the GA to your signature, that is your call and you do it when and if your are ready and not before. There have been members before that took a long time adding it for the very same reasons you have: it is too sad and too final. :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

The convenia is one of the AB that many of us stay away from. Some cats have an allergic reaction to it and once it's in their system to continue to work for up to 14 days ( studies show it's actually longer) it can not be retrieved so supportive measures are all that can be done. If an adverse reaction is to occur it is usually within the first 24 hours of so. I have my cats records labeled NO CONVENIA AND NO METCAM. To me, I would have the inconvenience of dosing with an AB for 14 days than to chance a bad reaction. Just thought you'd be interested in knowing that. I am not trying to scare you rather just inform you.

HWright likes this.
  13. HWright

Thank you Bobbie.
    What are some of signs of convenia reaction?

I had the feeling with Spunky last night as if both injections might be canceling each other out bc her appy was still off. Usually cerenia would have eased in though ECID that's for sure. Or that the convenia wasn't setting well with her. I think when he did see the ear ooze though couldn't get good look inside the ear, he opted to do a/b injection over dispensing oral a/b to expedite and bc of Spunky's behavioral history there.

She can be quite fractious at the vet and on again/off again about oral meds and remedies at home. I'm updating with vet today and will Ask more about if side effects at play re convenia.

I've got NO TRAMADOL on each cats records (after side effects after three tries over the years with three cats) and NO MIRTZ
    (Bc of Sootie's reaction to it)
    We haven't had the Metacam come into picture but will have that added to NO NO in charts to be in safe side. And likely now NO CONVENIA, too.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2017
  14. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

Same with me. AND no clavamox for my kitties. Never had one who could handle it. One doctor in the practice thinks I'm crazy. Needless to say I don't see that one.

HWright likes this.
  15. HWright

Bo and Scoops did horribly with clavamox but Azalea had clavamox after her eye enucleation. She was fine with it. No vomiting, no fuss (provided I stuck to her routine). Go figure!
    Doxy I've found to be the worst (for the cats who came to me already on it and for me who's taken long courses of it over the years for Lyme disease).

16. Bobbie And Bubba

I was on Doxy for Lyme too, twice. I do a remedy for it now a couple times a year and keeps me good from flair ups.

HWright likes this.
  17. Bobbie And Bubba

If I remember correctly from a few cats on the boards who had reactions it was extreme lethargy and lack of coordination and drooling and panting, diarrhea, and vomiting.

Bubba was given it once by my former vet after his tooth extraction and when I found out he had given Bubba it I was in a panic. He did just fine with it but I don't ever want him on it again And, it's not even an appropriate AB for dental issues, it is best used for skin problems. The majority of cats do fine with it, it like I said before, you can't retrieve it out of the system if a reaction occurs unlike an oral med which you could just stop using.

HWright likes this.
  18. HWright

What remedy do you use for Lyme?

Spunky's had none (yet) of the convenia side effects you mentioned other than lethargy that might or might not be attributable in some part to the stress of b/w draw (she went into total panic and fear). She is eating a bit this morning, and the sweet side of herself is reemerging. She is like the fairy tale "when she's sweet she's very very sweet but when she's not [she's a terror.]" Very complicated cat but considering all she went through in her earlier life, it's amazing that she trusts anyone at all.

19. HWright

Though I'm no expert by any means, makes sense that cats can experience ear-imbalance equilibrium problems with symptoms similar to humans (such as vertigo , ear infections, etc).
    However, before and after the polyp removal surgery almost three years ago, her balance and gait have been spot on.
    We've been watching that ear, bc at one point a new polyp began to form from the inner ear, then disappeared after a tweak of her remedies and had not returned (crossing paws). Have had to periodically change remedies to keep the polyp problem at bay. The homeopath's herbal ear wash was great at helping her ear and keeping it wax buildup free. But that, too, now seems to have run its course, needing a tweak or change of ingredients.

20. carfurby (GA)

What kind of homeopathic remedies do you use for her ear? What are the ingredients?

HWright likes this.
  21. Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA)

Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Sina,
    I hope Spunky's ear thing will clear up. Vets like Convenia because they think it is easier for the person (no messy oral a/bs to have to give).
    Steve's picture of the Polar Bear Dip is great. It looks almost tropical (well, almost)!

I agree that you should go with your heart about the GA (blue or in your signature). There is no protocol. We all want to keep up with you and the Tribe, so whenever you post, just use a title like "Sina's Tribe", or whatever appeals to you.

Sootie is undoubtedly quite busy in the Two Chefs' Bridge Kitchen. Chefs Stu and Mannie have already put her to work. Sushi Chef Neko and Chief Pastry Chef Tess must be glad to have her aboard, creating some "surprise" desserts for all the GAs.

Hugs to you and scritches to the Tribe,

Barbara & Uncle (GA) likes this.
  22. Bobbie And Bubba

Two different ones : Lyme Nosoda Mix and Lyme Nosode Para ( that is the one she put Bubba on also after his last GI upset )

23. HWright

Thanks Bobbie. I'll ask my naturopath about it. I'd read somewhere that it's also sometimes a constitutional for other ailments though I don't remember at the moment what for.

24. HWright

Hi Carla,
    Do you have an ear polyp kitty,too?

Spunky's homeopathy for her ear was constitutional, so it might or might not be applicable for another cat.
    But here goes:
    Right now Spunky is on Hepar Sulphuris 30c, one dose twice weekly. When HV changed constitutional remedies in October, I dosed one 50m dose of Thuja, and a dose of the hepar sulphuris for three days in a row, then dose the hepar sulph twice weekly.

Prior to that, he'd switched from the original remedies to Nitric Acid 50m but that didn't go well. She got very crazy nasty on that so stopped it and he sent the thuja pill and hepar sulph.

Initially (started after her ear surgery almost three years ago and soon after her arrival) and when about a month later a new polyp began to appear to be forming from the inner ear) was on a very complicated sequence of alternating remedies on alternating days with Thuja the constant. The new polyp disappeared (reg vet astounded).
    HV then modified original protocol to Thuja that I also added a drop of in the herbal ear wash my other HV prepared and that helped too.

The herbal ear wash recipe (the ingredients ratio is approx 3-4 drops herbal tincture/8 oz liquid)
    In 8 ounce squirt bottle:
    1/2 filtered or spring water
    1/2 organic aloe Vera juice
    (Or if using human food grade aloe Vera gel, add a bit of gel to full bottle of water, keeping to watery consistency)
    3-4 drops of tincture of St. John's wort, eyebright and calendula. If adding these separately 1-2 drops each is sufficient. I added Thuja also for direct contact in the ear.
    With cotton balls at the ready, I squirt some in her ear, and clean out accordingly. Sometimes judiciously applied q-tip necessary to pull out stuff that's accumulated in upper part of outer ear.

It's been a very complicated journey trying to keep ahead of Spunky's ear problems. And we switched remedies afte a long course (around 2 years or so) of the original ones bc their effectiveness seemed to be waning or in need of a shift or boost for her body to rebalance in keeping the polyp resolved.

From time to time I've dabbed her pinna with a tiny bit of almond oil afterwards to soothe.

Hope this helps. ❤️ Sina

Last edited: Jan 4, 2017
  25. carfurby (GA)

Thanks Sina. Furball had an ear polyp. The vet is afraid it might be coming back. This may be something I can go over with her.

I hope Spunky's ear is doing better today. :bighug::bighug::bighug:

HWright likes this.
  26. Gill & George

Gill & George Well-Known Member

Hi ((((Sina)))),
    I've been off the board pretty much all the holidays, I'm so sorry to hear of Sooties passing.:(. Your video of sootie was just beautiful, tears flowing for you here.
    :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:
    Fly Free Sootie.
    :rb_icon::rb_icon::rb_icon:
    As for the GA, go with your heart, I don't think you need to use the drop blue GA when you post, why rub salt in a wound.:bighug::bighug::bighug:

HWright likes this.
  27. HWright

Carla, I'll look for Spunky's original remedy combos instructions for your reference, too.
    I'm sorry Furball had a polyp and hoping that it doesn't come back. No more surgeries.❤️

Last edited: Jan 4, 2017
    carfurby (GA) likes this.
  28. HWright

Thank you, Gill. Yes was a beautiful memorial video that Camille made in Sootie's honor. And was a kind of healing to find look through early photos. One box that I found was in Azalea's room. Azalea snuggled alongside while I looked through photos of them all as they all were in early days, the memory in each photo in its moment. "Azalea! Here are you and Hoppy on the porch!," with Azalea snuggling closer with each memory felt.
    "Oh gosh, I wish I had a picture of little Sootie when she'd leap into and out of the drifts of deep snow during her first winter. "
    Very special indeed. and the beginning of healing..❤️

Hoping your holidays were joyful and that this year will a better one for all.
    Til soon and thanks again,
    ❤️

Gill & George likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.