1/2 unit marked syringes

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Ann & Liz, Oct 14, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ann & Liz

Ann & Liz Member

We are having difficulty sourcing U40 0.5 ml syringes with 1/2 unit markings. We will probably need to increase to 1.25u Caninsulin and it will be difficult to judge correct dose with 1 unit markings only. We did have some Sol-M ones from vet but they can't get any more it seems. Any suggestions, please? We are in UK.

2. Tuxedo Mom

Tuxedo Mom Well-Known Member

I believe @Alexi found some U40 syringes with 1/2 unit markings in the UK. I have tagged her and she will let you know when she comes on.

Ann & Liz likes this.
  3. Squalliesmom

Squalliesmom Well-Known Member

Ann & Liz likes this.
  4. Tuxedo Mom

5. Squalliesmom

I doubt it, Mary Ann, I just made an edit to my post, didn't realize she was in the UK.

6. Tuxedo Mom

OK Thanks I know Alexi had found some in the UK but I can't find that post right now.

There should be some sort of Sticky on the Caninsulin/Vetsulin forum with places that U40 syringes with 1/2 unit markings can be purchased in different parts of the world. There are more and more C/V users joining up lately

Squalliesmom likes this.
  7. Squalliesmom

That's a great idea, I agree whole-heartedly!

Tuxedo Mom likes this.
  8. Tuxedo Mom

I'll put a "bug" in some ears and see if we can't get something going at some point.

9. MrWorfMen's Mom

MrWorfMen's Mom Well-Known Member

Tuxedo Mom likes this.
  10. Squalliesmom

11. Elizabeth and Bertie

Elizabeth and Bertie Well-Known Member

I've just looked at the VetUK page for these syringes, and they appear to be out of stock. (Have emailed them to ask when they'll be in stock again).

Ann @Ann & Liz , if they look like being out of stock for a while then another option would be to use U100 syringes (normally used with U100 insulin) but with a conversion chart for use with U40 insulin... (Do ask if you want more info about this....)

Eliz

Tuxedo Mom likes this.
  12. Elizabeth and Bertie

13. Elizabeth and Bertie

Ann @Ann & Liz ,

I'm happy to send you some U100 syringes to try out if you'd like to have a go with those? Just PM me your address if you're interested. Or you can buy them from a number of places online. VetUK sell them, but Amazon often have good prices. Most of us using U100 syringes in the UK use the BD 0.3ml ones with half-unit markings ('Demi'), as shown here:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/MicroFine-0-3ml-Insulin-Syringes-U100/dp/B00K86ZO20

You'd be using them with a conversion chart (see link below). As an example, to get 1.2 units of U40 Caninsulin you'd be drawing insulin up to the 3 unit mark in a U100 syringe.
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/insulin-conversions.htm

Eliz

Last edited: Oct 14, 2016
  14. Alexi

Alexi Member

How frustrating that VetUK are out of stock! I just got a new order but they are cheap, maybe why there has been a rush on them.
    I have found other sites showing u40 syringes with 1/2 unit markings (you need the smallest volume either 0.5ml or 0.3ml)
    http://www.pioneervet.co.uk/Sol-M-U40-Insulin-Syringe price not shown but looks to be the same product as vet uk - you have to create an account to view prices
    https://www.petdrugsonline.co.uk/ca...etes/prozinc-u-40-insulin-syringes-(120-pack) 0.3ml so easier to eyeball but expensive!

15. Ann & Liz

Ann & Liz Member

Thanks, Alexi, will get something sorted and hopefully will be back in stock again soon. We have some in reserve so not desperate yet.

16. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

You could also use calipers for syringes without the 1/2 mark.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.