1.21 Nelli UPDATE

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Krystina & Nelli, Jan 21, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Krystina & Nelli

Krystina & Nelli Well-Known Member

http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/...-3-147-pmbg-118-2-25-154.209622/#post-2322608
    Nelli illness is DEPRESSION... Krystina, despartly trying to figure out what’s wrong with Nelli!?!

Ok, describing vaguely the setting- I have a room that goes outside, attached to house with a door into house and another out of the house.
    There is a poor (so sad) neglected outdoor kitty, next door who’ve ocassionally I’ve gone over to pet (touch; she is never touched). I will talk again about this poor kitty some day to you, in the future. It is about Nelli today :cat: :).​
    I had left the outside door of this room open last Thursday night. One into house had been shut. Nelli and I were still up and as always I check all doors- locked before we go to bed. This door I discovered was open. I vaugely saw a shadowed streak running out into yard. Yes I did (unconsciously?) know it was ____.
    Next morning Nelli was heading out, this way... stopped short in her tracks and started smelling an area in room. Then layed down on fabric-clearly as to guard/claim her ground.

Since exactly then, Nelli had become sick.
    I knew this
    was “when” just hadn’t figured out... yet.
    Reason being... Nelli is about 19yo. although remarkably healthy before (unnecessary steroid, induced) diabetes and heart failure, she is Geri-geriatric so when she’s off I think OMG what’s wrong- load her up and we go to Vet (never any clear answers?!).

Nelli: tough, strong, alpha Nelli lived as a stray for most of her life (11 years).
    Nelli: slowly loosing her position amongst ferels in her ‘hood and ‘coons.
    Nelli: recently 100% blind.
    Nelli... is disabled and knows it :(

I have watched this slow decline over past few years, I have watched her stand as tall as she possibly could and deny her declinig strengths. It’s been heart wrenching at times for me to witness this.

Nelli, I strongly now believe became very depressed. Being blind and failing in her (always) keen senses thought... mommy had brought this (always pain in her ass), kitty into my life.

A 500 watt light bulb can on over me at work today- I collected the many dots (many more than I’ve shared here with you...), immediately jumped on to good olé google and searched reasons, symptoms, etc of depressed cats. A few quotes from what I discovered-
    “One of the many things we love about cats is their independent spirit. Cats choose who they love and receiving their affection is a great honor. This is an example of how cats like to be in control.”

“A depressed cat withdraws and ceases doing things they used to enjoy. Thus, if your feline stops doing something that usually makes them purr, you may have a sad cat on your hands.
    Be alert for signs such as:
    • Loss of appetite and disinterest in treats
    • Sleeping when they would usually be awake
    • Lack of grooming. You may notice this as a dull, dry, or knotted coat
    • Withdrawal from tactile exchanges such as head bumping or lap cuddles
    • Intermittent tummy upsets
    • Altered habits such as not coming to greet you
    • Loss of interest in favorite toys
    • Weight loss or gain (depending on whether they comfort eat or not)
    “Depression in Cats is a Real Thing.”
    I just thought Nelli was sick. That something terribly could be wrong.
    When Vets, back to back were clearly pulling at straws, and as I became more and more bewildered, the 500 watt light bulb came on :).
    I started to research :bighug:.

I have taken much guidance from what I’ve read, learning what I might do- what I can to help Nelli loose this depressive state.
    *There will not be another appy stimulant drug administrered tonight.
    There will not be a Spec fPL test done.
    *There will not be a Ultrasound scheduled...
    Right now.
    I will be diligent and aware, never thinking I GOT IT figured out.
    I promise, Nelli and all of you who, with and without wisdom... who’ve grown to care about Nelli.
    Thank you from the bottom of my heart :bighug: :bighug: :bighug:

Last edited: Jan 21, 2019
  2. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

When you say she is blind....did they ever check her blood pressure? I faintly remember that they did and it was normal.

This came on so very fast, Krystina, that I feel you are not looking at depression. Cats are pretty resilient. I’m not saying they can’t become depressed; they can. When we lost Gracie, I watched Tobey slowly sink into depression and develop some of the symptoms you mention but it was not overnight. He slept more, he had loose stools, he ate but not enthusiastically. But, again, it was all very gradual. And I confirmed that it could only be depression by having the tests run that he needed.

Granted....he was only 6 years old and Nelli is almost 20 and so there does become a time when we have to decide if it’s really in the cat’s best interest to run all those tests or just to keep them comfortable and happy. That “time” is individual depending on the cat and the caregiver.

But what I see all too often is that we convince ourselves that it might be something, like depression, where there really is something more going on. I believe that if the CG has the knowledge and makes the decision to just provide palliative care, that’s their right. But I also know from experience that if a CG puts their head in the sand to avoid the reality and then the cat passes, they often beat themselves up because they didn’t “do more”. Of course, how much more depends on what is wrong with the kitty and how doing additional tests or treatments would affect whatever QOL they have left.

My suggestion is that you at least be informed and that can potentially involve just a blood test. But, again, even that might be too much for Nelli.

3. Krystina & Nelli

Yes, she has had this checked and... it was normal :cat: :)
    She had on eye removed about 5ish years ago, the other one a cataract which has developed now, complexly :oops:
    I ended my thesis above saying I will be diligent and aware, never thinking I GOT IT figured out.
    And I am- will be very much so... short of overreacting. Promise :).
    Thanks for your caring and appropriate words. I appreciate them :bighug:.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2019
    Marje and Gracie likes this.
  4. Krystina & Nelli

I will. Tomorrow I will be on hunt (again) for a mobile Vet. If no luck quickly, I will load Nelli back up and cart her off to Vet.

Mobile Vets... It’s visits like these that I’ve always been fortunate to have a mobile vet for.
    Unfortunately the “Veterinarian World” has changed (so much) today :(.
    An acceptable one, found in my ‘hood at least, are slim pickin’ anymore :facepalm:

Marje and Gracie likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.