1/22 Blackie

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Ele & Blackie (GA), Jan 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ele & Blackie (GA)

Ele & Blackie (GA) Well-Known Member

We are seeing some better overnight and am numbers with the 2 units. We had to shoot a half hour late last night to make sure Blackie was going up. And this morning we couldn't shoot until +13. Here are his numbers from last night to this morning:
    +10 166
    +12 169
    +13 193 2.0u
    +7 183
    +11 209
    +11.5 197
    +12 173
    +13 236 2.0u

Thanks to Terri, I'm getting more +10 & +11 numbers that are helping to determine if we should shoot or not. We've only been on 2 units for 4 cycles, so unless he gives us more low numbers, we'll stick to that for another day. I haven't weighed kitties since my shoulder surgery, but I'm going to this weekend. I suspect that Blackie has gained weight, but I could be totally wrong.

I hope everyone has a great Friday and weekend.

2. Terri and Lucy

Terri and Lucy Member

It's good to see him staying out of the 300s. I still think he may need just a tad more insulin to drop down into double digits, but he's a tricky guy--full of surprises.

3. Joanna & Bix (GA)

Joanna & Bix (GA) Well-Known Member

Glad you are getting closer Ele!!! For a while with Bix (no idea if this will be similar for Blackie) I was finding his duration was so good I had to go to something like +14s or +16s fairly often to shoot. It was confusing, but the timing was what worked for him. Thankfully with him I was able to push it out to SID if I got a good enough nadir, and accepted PSs a teeny bit higher than my 150 ideal.

For me, it got to a point where I felt like I had to choose between shooting a higher dose and aiming for a perfect nadir, but most likely losing the chance then to shoot again at +12, or shooting a dose that let me stay with BID, knowing that for Bix that would be unlikely to get his nadir where I wanted it, but would at least keep him in steady #s that weren't too high. I opted to go for the good nadir & the hope of pancreas healing, and have been happy with that choice. I'm not sure if Blackie is in a similar boat, but wanted to throw the ideas out there in case they seem useful.

Personally, I'd like to see more nadirs in the 50 - 70 range (on my human meter, not my cat one, where those #s appear to be too low for him) for both Bix & Blackie, and see if that helps their pancreases out some more. Can't seem to get there with Bix though, and I know you've been trying your darndest with Blackie! It's like they are taunting us. :lol:

4. Ele & Blackie (GA)

I don't know why we're getting those late nadirs. Most of the time they aren't low enough to warrant lowering the dose, but I may have to try that. He was 216 at +6 today, so it looks like we're headed for another late nadir. I wouldn't mind shooting later except it can get me so far off schedule. Blackie used to be "normal", now I never now what to expect. I guess he's showing his independence. :lol: Unfortunately for him, it means he gets poked more often.

5. Gator & H (GA)

Gator & H (GA) Well-Known Member

From my experience late nadir [especially with a decrease from PS to PS] means too much insulin. And of course this is where I diverge from most here, in that I do not wait for the numbers to start going up I just give less. Just my 2c.

6. Ele & Blackie (GA)

I would try that, Gator, except Blackie doesn't seem to do too well on a sliding scale. So I really try to keep his dose the same for 6 cycles before I change again. We'll see what surprises he'll have for us when I get home tonight. I am thankful that he's not in the really high numbers that he was in late last year, so I'm not complaining too much. It's just that the mystery drives me crazy. @-)

7. Gator & H (GA)

Gator & H (GA) Well-Known Member

I feel ya Ele. This ProZinc seems not to like the SS either - but I'm not give up yet on forcing it to comply. :smile:

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

ele those #'s are so close in range it's really weird...like his lowest # was at +12????
    i totally agree to ride out a dose (if safe) for 5-7 days. the cat needs to time to adjust. but those #'s are so darn close to each other....he's really hanging flat.
    i'm going to go look at your ss again.

9. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

ele, what happened between sept and oct? sept #'s look great...do you know what kicked it up?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.