1/3/18 Mango @+181 93, @+185.25 125,@+187 140,@+188.5 121,@+192 141

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Lesliejm, Jan 3, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lesliejm

Lesliejm Member

NO!!! Blues!:arghh::banghead:

2. Stacy & Asia

Stacy & Asia Well-Known Member

Are you going to start him back on a tiny bit of insulin? He may just need a little bit more support until he is ready. He's made such amazing progress with the food change and insulin support.:bighug:

3. Lesliejm

Lesliejm Member

Yes, just a drop. I am waiting until tonight to see where he is at. He is not eating like he should though. We slept in late due to the fact that we got up at 3 am yesterday to travel back home from Texas vacation with my new granddaughter. He did not wake me up for breakfast and when I did wake, he didn't want to eat. I did give him some YA last night and I am wondering if it bothered his belly. I do not like the blues. I am going to check him again now and see where he is at.

4. Lesliejm

Lesliejm Member

He's at 140. Back on juice tonight. Any suggestions on amount?

Stacy & Asia likes this.
  5. Stacy & Asia

Stacy & Asia Well-Known Member

Here's a link to your last condo:

http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/mango-at-87.189001/#post-2101581

Marje suggested a drop for him and explained in the condo linked above how you go about getting a drop in the syringe. That sounds like a good starting point and hopefully it's all he needs. Hope his belly settles for you. :bighug:

Marje and Gracie likes this.
  6. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

Just housekeeping here but if you don’t shoot, the AMPS becomes AMBG and PMPS becomes PMBG. The test times are reported in hours since last shot. All of this helps us keep track of what his numbers are showing.

When I looked at your subject line today, I assumed he was back on insulin. If I added up the days and hours right, then the 93 would be at +181. You can double check it or just go from there...I believe it’s accurate based on his SS.

7. Gill & George

Gill & George Well-Known Member

You may want to wait and see where he is at at shot time.

Food for thought though, seeing as the removing of insulin was a vacation'dose', usually what we would do is take them straight back to the dose they were on before taking the reduction for the vacation.

But lets see what others think,
    eta
    and where he is at shot time.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2018
    Stacy & Asia likes this.
  8. Lesliejm

Lesliejm Member

Okay, didn't know if that was right. Thanks! Well, he did have a belly ache. He just threw up more than he has eaten today. The only change has been giving him a little YA. No more for him. I hope he is not getting pancreatitis! It is funny how I just knew something was wrong since he didn't wake me to eat and then didn't want to eat. At least I don't go back to work until Monday. Maybe a dr. apt. is necessary. I will monitor him and see if it was the food only.

9. Lesliejm

Lesliejm Member

Could him having a belly ache cause his bg to go up?

10. Gill & George

Yes if he is in pain it is possible that it could raise his BG.

Does he look like he is in pain? meatloafing? tender when you touch his belly?

11. Lesliejm

Lesliejm Member

No tenderness and he doesn't seem like he is in pain. He is begging for treats though. His bg is now 121 down from 140.

Gill & George likes this.
  12. Lesliejm

Lesliejm Member

There was a post that said if a cat is under 150 bg that there is no shot? Is that right?

13. Gill & George

The post that you are probably thinking about is the Sticky on SLGS

Note that this is a guideline for use when the CG hasn't got data, ultimately you will over time reduce that number so that you are at least shooting anything over 90. I have assumed that you are following SLGS since there is some dry in the picture (ie the YA). If there is no dry at all in the picture then with TR you would gradually work your way to shooting anything over 50.
    Had you been following TR or SLGS?

From the SLGS sticky
    In the beginning we suggest following the guidelines in the FD
    MB's FAQ Q4.4
    :
    Q4.4. My cat's pre-shot level was way below the usual value. Should I give the injection?
    A4.4. There's no hard and fast rule, but if you don't have data on how your cat responds to insulin, here are some general guidelines.

• Below 150 mg/dl (8.3 mmol/L), don't give insulin.
    • Between 150 and 200 (8.3-11.1 mmol/L), you have three options: a.) give nothing; b.) give a token dose (10-25% of the usual dose); c.) feed as usual, test in a couple of hours, and make a decision based on that value.
    • Above 200 (11.1 mmol/L) but below the cat's normal pre-shot value, a reduced dose might be wise.
    • In all cases, if you are reducing or eliminating insulin, it's wise to check for ketones in the urine.
    • Above the normal pre-shot value, give the usual dose, but if the pre-shot value is consistently elevated, it's a good idea to schedule a full glucose curve to see whether a change in dose or insulin is appropriate. In most cases, the target "peak" value should not be below 100 mg/dl (5.6 mmol/L), and for some cats it might be higher.

14. Lesliejm

Lesliejm Member

Oh!! I am on TR.

Stacy & Asia and Gill & George like this.
  15. Gill & George

Looking back you've shot as low as a 96 before, and certainly in the low blues.
    Usually, overtime a CG on TR would gradually learn to shoot anything over 50.

How's Mango behaving?? has he got his appy back?

16. Lesliejm

Lesliejm Member

We're laying here snuggling in a blanket taking a nap he seems to be feeling better he hasn't eaten yet I'm going to see what his blood is before I feed him at 5 which is normally when he gets his shot

17. Gill & George

How long before that?
    Nothing better than kitty cuddles, my lot are being anti social today.:rolleyes:

18. Lesliejm

Lesliejm Member

Another hour and 20 minutes before his shot would be given at 5

19. Gill & George

OK that's 11pm for me.
    When did he last eat?

Just wanted to double check, other than the YA sample you tried yesterday, seeing as he is a kibble addict has he had any kibble at all since Dec 1, ie do you still need to entice him to eat the wet by sprinkling some kibble on top of his wet food? If so, how much and what is the carb content of it??

Has he been getting YA regularly, or was yesterday the first time he tried that?

20. Lesliejm

Lesliejm Member

He has eaten y a this morning and threw it up that's the last he is eaten he hasn't eaten at all today yet

21. Lesliejm

Lesliejm Member

Yes I tried a little bit of kibble to entice him that was over a week ago I usually put the parmesan cheese in and that hasn't helped he's sleeping again on my lap I will try to see if he will eat here in a little bit I'm not sure how many carbs the kibble has that I gave him over a week ago. I got home yesterday about 1:30 he only ate a little bit of that YA kibble then and a little bit of YA kibble today and that's been it. But then he threw up I mean a lot more than what he has eaten since I've been here yesterday don't know how much he ate while I was gone I guess I can call and find out. I will definitely keep an eye on him don't know if I should give him any shot since he's really hasn't eaten at all today

22. Lesliejm

Lesliejm Member

Yesterday was the first time he got the ya

23. Lesliejm

Lesliejm Member

The cat sitter said he did throw up a little bit of water about the size of her Palm the other day other than that he has been fine

24. Lesliejm

Lesliejm Member

25. Lesliejm

Lesliejm Member

I did notice this morning that his water dish was just about empty After I filled it last night not sure if he knocked it over onto his mat or not or if he drank it all I doubt if he could drink all of that

26. Lesliejm

Lesliejm Member

I decided not to give a shot tonight until I find out if he's okay and eating do not want to give it on an empty stomach and him not eating I will begin it tomorrow if he feels better I have a call in to the vet she's off today I will talk to her tomorrow if he is not doing okay

27. Gill & George

Do you have any Keto stix at home to test his urine for ketones??
    Just with him being a little off and not eating it would be good to be sure he hasn't got that going on as well. If he did have ketones in his urine it would be very important for him to have some insulin, as the situation could escalate rather quickly into DKA. Sorry I don't won't to scare you, please understand this is just me being cautious as the way I am reading your posts it seems you are rather concerned about his overall demeanor.

On another note, I understand that the YA is quite calorific and filling, so a full daily amount is rather small in quantity, is it possible he ate too much of it?

28. Lesliejm

Lesliejm Member

Yes he could of. No strips. Will get some tom.

29. Alicia & Maggie (GA)

Alicia & Maggie (GA) Well-Known Member

Sorry Mango's feeling a little off today. Cute pic of him!

30. Lesliejm

Lesliejm Member

He just ate a little ff wet. His bg is 142. I am waiting for the am shot. I want to see how he does tonight with his bg. I still don't think he ate enough. Less that 1/4 of a small can. I will start him on .5 tomorrow.

31. Lesliejm

Lesliejm Member

32. Gill & George

Before you shoot in the morning check back here to see about the dose.

I've put out a call to some others with years of experience, regarding what would be a sensible dose to start with. I wouldn't want to put you in a difficult situation with numbers dropping and Mango not eating.

33. Lesliejm

Lesliejm Member

Thx!

34. Lesliejm

Lesliejm Member

Mango is feeling SO much better! He is running around and playing. Will check his bg in 10 min.

35. Lesliejm

Lesliejm Member

Wow! Why are his numbers do different than last night? What is going on?

36. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

It's possible that the "good" numbers he had been getting were due to leftover insulin from the depot

He may need a smaller dose for a little longer to make sure he can stay in the better numbers long enough to fully heal

37. Lesliejm

Lesliejm Member

93 now

38. Marje and Gracie

Leslie

We do one condo per cat per day. It’s best to keep all questions for the day in the condo you already started today. If everyone did more than two condos, important info would get lost and it would take us forever to get through all the info.

Thank you! :):):) It’s probably best to not post in this condo any more today and just head back to your other one.

Edited by Moderator:
    Threads have been merged. :)

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 3, 2018
  39. Marje and Gracie

Thank you!!!

40. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Random question - maybe a reason for slightly higher numbers. You posted a very cute photo of Mango curled up, but in that pic, his chin looks a little pink. Any chance he's got some chin acne going on? That would be some infection/inflammation and possibly inflating his numbers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.