1/3 Champ AMPS 478, +1 397, +2 312, +3 275, +4 263, +9.5 359, PMPS 367, +1 372, +2 227

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Patty & Champ, Jan 3, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Patty & Champ

Patty & Champ Well-Known Member

Yesterday

I upped his Lantus dose today to 1.75 and I gave him what I assume to be 0.1 of the R. The vet told me what I had already told myself...don't worry about the phosphorus or whatever in the food right now, just give him something he will eat. He's delighted with that because I gave him FF chicken feast last night and he actually ate with typical Champ gusto. It was almost like he was too tired or weak to stand there long enough to eat it, though, so I hand fed him the rest and he ate an entire half-can of FF. He ate the other half-can at about +4 with me helping him again. I went to bed after his +4 last night as that was going on 1:30 a.m. I woke up at 5:30 and decided to get up to test him (something I haven't had to do in years...test and go back to bed. He had climbed up a bit, but at least I didn't see the dreaded black number. I'm amazed I fell right back to sleep. Tested, fed, and shot this morning at the normal time, again giving him FF. He did a better job eating it himself, but I hand fed him the rest. He's been sleeping in his bed in my office this morning, getting up every once in a while to get a drink of water or nibble at the leftovers in his bowl. He's peed and he's pooped which is a relief, a sign he's eating and drinking!! Yay!! I hope you all have a great day. I just may pop into a few condos today and introduce Champ to our "new" neighbors (new to us at least!).

2. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

I'm glad Champ is eating some for you and got up to nibble. It's nice to see that yellow today. Sending prayers.

Patty & Champ likes this.
  3. Patty & Champ

Champ ate a good dinner with some hand feeding. He just wants to stay in his bed in my office, though, so I think I'll just sit with him and watch some TV with him.

4. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

I’m glad he’s eating. The 0.1u of R is working for him so I’d be patient with it.

I disagree with your vet about finding a lower P food. Yes, you want him eating consistently but then I’d find a lower P food. Controlling phosphorus levels are directly related to longevity in CKD cats.

5. Patty & Champ

She just meant until the crisis of him not wanting to eat is over. I actually have a food that he normally loves that is nice and low in phosphorus, but he doesn't want it right now, even with hand feeding. I'm going to search the food chart again and see if I can find something else that's lower in phosphorus than the FF that he will eat consistently.

Marje and Gracie likes this.
  6. Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA)

Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Patty, I just read through your "new series" of Champ's condo. I am not helpful with meds or conditions (as you probably know from before), but I am a good cheerleader. So I'm cheering for Champ to get back on track with his health issues and his numbers.
    Hugs and scritches :bighug::bighug::bighug:

Patty & Champ likes this.
  7. Patty & Champ

I really appreciate it!! Cheerleaders are very welcome!! It's really good to see Rusty is still around and doing pretty well. Hurray for the old-timers!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.