? 1/31 help with dosage

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Heatherb, Jan 31, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Heatherb

Heatherb New Member

my cat milo has been on lantus for 2 weeks now at 1.5 u as my vet said to give based off his high numbers. I got a human meter yesterday. It's the Bayer contour meter. I just did a glucose curve today and I put them on the spreadsheet but I think something's wrong with the link so I asked for help with that. In case the link isn't working I will post what his results are. I started at 6 am and tested every 2 hours until the last test at 6 pm. The results are 76,66,75,138,222,231,412.
    Based off those results what dosage would you recommend? I also have a few more questions.
    1. If he has a low number in the mornings or evenings do I skip the shot or just give him a lower dosage? How would I know what the low dosage should be?
    2. What number does the glucose reading need to be of him not needing insulin. Is it if he's 150 or less, I think that's what I read on here or 100 or less?
    3. How do I know what dosage to give him based off the glucose numbers? Like if he tests at 80 in the mornings and around 400s in the evenings?
    This is my first time doing all this so it's all overwhelming.
    Thanks

2. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

Hi and welcome. That’s great tgat you are testing right out of the gate. Did the numbers go up every two hours are are you writing from the most recent to the oldest? The best way to show the results is:
    AMPS 76
    +2 66

For a cat new to insulin we wouldn’t usually recommend shooting if the AMPS was 76, a normal number.

Are you only giving one shot? Lantus is dosed every 12 hours and the dose is based upon the nadir, the lowest point in a cycle. I suggest you read the yellow stickies on lantus and as many of the stickies as you can.

3. Heatherb

Heatherb New Member

I give him 2 shots of lantus. One at 6 am and then one at 6 pm. The 76 test result was at 6 am and then it goes to the newest of 412 at 6 pm. I was just wondering what the recommended dosage would be.

Thanks

4. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

We determine the dose based on how low it takes the cat. We also have two dosing methods we use here. Onenis calked Tight Regulation and the other is called Surat Low Go Slow. Take a read of the Sticky Notes describing the two and see which you'd like to follow. If you are feeding any dry food, you have to follow SLGS. Both methods also have starting doses. They each also determine what to do with the dose based on the nadir or low points. If you were following SLGS, you would reduce the dose to 1.25 units as Milo went below 90. On TR you would stay on 1.5 units until il you see a number under 50.

Once you get the spreadsheet working, we'll be able to give more help.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.