1/4 Alley PMPS 67; +2 43; +4 68

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Dan & Alley, Jan 4, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dan & Alley

Dan & Alley Member

Previously

It was probably a missed shot Wednesday morning... but on the bright side, Alley didn't go too high (blue) and she's come right back down to green this morning.

It's been 10 days since cracking down on Alley thieving from Sophie's dish 'o carbs. Sophie's food is only 18% carbs, but any carb is probably a bad carb for Alley.

Mandy & Rex (GA) likes this.
  2. Tracey&Jones (GA)

Tracey&Jones (GA) Well-Known Member

If it was a missed shot, those are some good numbers! Nice recovery today.

Dan & Alley likes this.
  3. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

Not bad at all if it was a missed shot.

Dan & Alley likes this.
  4. Dan & Alley

Dan & Alley Member

Yea.. Now Alley's testing the lower reaches of dark green with 55 @ +7.

One consideration I have to make is the whole issue of Alley's recent taste for Sophie's food. If the carbs in Sophie's food were responsible for Alley's relapse, they've been out of the picture for ten days now. I could have given no insulin and watched how Alley's BG responded over time to no extra carbs, of I could have (and did) add insulin to actively manage Alley's BG in addition to the removal of the illicit carbs. Which makes me wonder if I'm in well-charted territory or not.

5. Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA)

Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Dan,
    I think the insulin is a good idea. Now that you have started insulin again, you can keep monitoring carefully and take the dose down gradually as per the protocal. Some people actively work the dose against the carbs to arrive at satisfactory numbers. You have to do what you feel comfortable with. You say that Sophie's food is "only" 18% carbs. I think that 18% is generally considered high carbs. If Alley's home-made wet food is zero carbs, it isn't any wonder that she zoomed up on 18% carbs!
    Good luck with getting her OTJ again.

6. Dan & Alley

Dan & Alley Member

Hi Ella,

Some of the dry cat foods out there are up in the 30's on carb percentage... because, hey, carbs are cheap. Based on what a cat needs and should have most any dry food is high in carbs. Purina Diabetes Chow Complete Cat Chow Complete is about 35% carbs, for example. Sophia's Orijen 6 Fish is 18% low-glycemic carbs, and the Orijen 6 Fish cat formula is barely 10% low glycemic carbs. If you had to feed a cat dry, that would be about as low as it gets for carbs.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2018
  7. Dan & Alley

Dan & Alley Member

PMPS @ 67 and +2 @ 43. I slipped 2 small carb treats in with Alley's food since this is pretty low. I'll take readings hourly until Alley heads back up, If she doesn't, I'll slip her a couple more carb treats.

8. Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA)

Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA) Well-Known Member

I didn't know that Sophie's food was Orijen. I just assumed that she was eating one of the high-carb canned foods. Orijen seems good-- for a cat that isn't diabetic. Adding some wet food to Sophie's diet would provide much needed moisture (most cats don't drink much water). The little carb treats for Alley sound like they are much appreciated.

Dan & Alley likes this.
  9. Dan & Alley

Dan & Alley Member

I really like what the Orijen folks are doing up in Canada. I think they have another brand, but I can't think of it off the top of my head.

10. Mandy & Rex (GA)

Mandy & Rex (GA) Well-Known Member

Acana! I saw the discussion about Orijen so I did some reading on their website.

Dan & Alley likes this.
  11. Dan & Alley

Dan & Alley Member

Yes, Acana, that's it, thanks! If you must feed a cat dry, certainly 10% carbs is much closer to a natural/appropriate diet than 35% carbs.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.