1/4 Bo AMPS 171; +5.5 ~ 114; Bo not eating well

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Mike & Bo (GA), Jan 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mike & Bo (GA)

Mike & Bo (GA) Member

Hello All and Happy New Year

Bo has not been eating well for the past week or so. As a result I contacted my vet and he said to lower the dose because of lower intake of food. His BG numbers have been pretty good. He seems to making a grunting sound when he eats (could this be a dental or breathing problem?) Bo has an appointment for this Thursday where he is going to be sedated and they are going to check his teeth and if his lungs don't sound good then a chest x-ray too. I have given him 2cc of Buprenex last night and this morning and also 50cc of sub-q fluids. I am hoping things go well on Thursday for him, being that he will be 19 years old in a month.

Mike & Bo

2. Ronnie & Luna

Ronnie & Luna Well-Known Member

aw sorry to hear this, keep us posted this week ok?
    I hope for good news for you and Bo.

3. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

Sending Bo good appetite vines for today, and good vet visit and vet results vines for Thursday.

Please keep us updated as to how he is doing.
    We can probably suggest a bunch of things to try to get him to eat more.
    For instance, have you tried canned tuna? J.D.'s favorite is steak, and shrimp.
    If Bo's not eating well at all, you could even try some of his old pre-diabetes favorites just to get something into his tummy.

4. Mike & Bo (GA)

Mike & Bo (GA) Member

I just fed him about 3/4 of an ounce of his Friskies canned Turkey. He was a little hungy since I gave him his buprenex earlier today.
    I gave him some canned tuna juice this morning, drank a little. I also have given him some deli turkey meat but he has a hard time chewing it which might suggest he does have teeth or gum problems.
    Thank you for the suggestions and the good wishes for him.
    Mike & Bo

5. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

I will often, especially after coming in from the cold outside, give my cats some slightly warmed up and watered down until soupy FF. I also fed this to J.D. after his dental when he had a bunch of extractions last year. Just thought this might help if his teeth or gums are bothering him.
    And, there's always what I call the "magic powder" FortiFlora. If my cats for some reason turn up their noses at meal time and I want them to eat, I get out the FortiFlora and sprinkle a half packet or so on their food between the two of them, and they gobble up every last bit of their food and lick their bowls clean. Actually, they come running when they hear me tearing open the packet they love it so much.
    Good Luck and Best Wishes!

6. Mike & Bo (GA)

Mike & Bo (GA) Member

PMPS ~ 162

Bo ate a little better at dinner and appears to be a litle brighter after the buprenex wore off.

7. Barbara and tuffy

Barbara and tuffy Well-Known Member

Mike: Please keep us posted on Bo. Maybe he would eat some Baby Food meat. I've used that if they go off their food. Does not have everything they need but it helps. Good luck with the Vet onThursday Healing vines and snoeflakes on the way to Bo.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.