1/4 Radar - SEB and poop

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Jan Radar (GA), Jan 4, 2020.

1. Jan Radar (GA)

Jan Radar (GA) Well-Known Member

yesterday - vet visit for bp check

Last night Radar again became a reluctant eater. He didn't look good and wouldn't even take babyfood off my finger. :( Of course we were really concerned and being the weekend our vet's office is closed until Monday. :( We then started brainstorming what might be the problem and what simple solutions we, who are not vets, could provide to help him since we won't consider going back to the ER after our unpleasant experiences earlier in the week. When we thought about it carefully, it seems that he always doesn't feel good about the same time every day - late afternoon. Our theory is that there is something happening in the intestines that slows or somehow impedes the movement and processing of food towards poop. Whatever is happening makes Radar uncomfortable as a result and then he breadloafs and doesn't want to eat which causes us to syringe feed him so we can get enough calories into him before bed. I've not been stalking the LB and keeping notes about the time of day that he poops. I've only been collecting info for the vet about the "quality" of the poop. But I think more detailed information will help us get more specific clues to give the vet.

Here's the plan: I've ordered powdered egg yolk from Food Fur Life and am hopeful that this will help him. Because we were worried about possible constipation being the cause of his discomfort, we gave him a dose of SEB - many thanks to @Bobbie And Bubba for an easy to find and simple recipe :bighug: - a couple hours after the SEB he left nicely formed poop in the LB and was obviously feeling better as a result. Maybe he would've pooped without the SEB but we all felt better after the LB deposit right before bed. So i think we'll try giving him a dose of SEB in the afternoon today and see if he feels better and can eat his dinner. Fingers and paws crossed.

I skipped the shot this morning because I didn't want to fight dropping numbers with a reluctant eater. :arghh:

2. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

At least Radar found his blues again. FWIW, you could have tried a half dose.

Paws crossed you’ve figured out his poop issues and he starts eating better soon.

Jan Radar (GA) likes this.
  3. Jan Radar (GA)

Jan Radar (GA) Well-Known Member

I was too asleep to make a good decision this morning... I've already made a note to myself about doing a half dose in the future when he gives me a pretty blue number in the morning. :cool:

4. Bobbie And Bubba

Bobbie And Bubba Well-Known Member

Hi Jan! Happy New!

I’m glad the SEB helped! I give it to Bubba at a maintenance dose twice daily , every day. That dose is 1/4 tsp of SEB mixed into a 1/2 tsp of George’s Aloe Vera Juice. It mixed up into a blob and then I add that blob into his meal. @Beth 73 gave me that info from her holistic vet.
    And , I give Bubba EY powder from Food Fur Life twice a day also for hairball control and gut motility.

Miralax 1/4 tsp twice daily is in our regime too. I’d love to stop the miralax and get back to the natural Pet Alive stuff but he started detecting it in his food and wouldn’t eat. I might start trying it again.

Good luck with Radar to continue to eat for you. It’s always concerning when a cat goes off their feed.

Jan Radar (GA) likes this.
  5. Charlotte and Lucky’s mom

Charlotte and Lucky’s mom Well-Known Member

Just curious, how much egg yolk powder do you use and how often? I’ve read that lecithin is also good to break down a hairball. Thx!

6. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

7. Charlotte and Lucky’s mom

Charlotte and Lucky’s mom Well-Known Member

Thank you!! I’ve used a small amount of raw egg yolk with one of my cats after reading about an alternative fix since that cat hates the hairball laxative and she was projectile vomiting one Saturday night. It did the charm and she was fine the next day. I knew it was only a hairball as her first bout had a tiny amount of fur in it. I tell my clients who complain about their cats having hairball issues but some don’t eat eggs or some are afraid of Salmonella bc it’s raw. I now can tell them about the powdered form. Paper copied and filed! Thanks! :)