1/4 Silver AMPS 248 PMPS 356 +3=407

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Juliet, Jan 4, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Juliet

Juliet Guest

Well I was expecting a pink per his pattern but then he will just do his own thing. So is he gonna go low and bounce back into red tonight. Probably. This bouncing is driving this momma bean crazy.

2. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

Bouncing can be very frustrating. I hope Silver will surf today and not bounce again.

Juliet likes this.
  3. Alicia & Maggie (GA)

Alicia & Maggie (GA) Well-Known Member

So frustrating when something is out of our control... sorry about the bouncing. Hope he settles soon.

4. Juliet

Juliet Guest

Thanks.

I have a question about glucose toxicity. If I hold the dose until I have a better idea of how low Silver is going...which, if he’s bouncing at the weekend could take a while to know - how do I find the fine line between holding and avoiding glucose toxicity. Anyone?

5. Tracey&Jones (GA)

Tracey&Jones (GA) Well-Known Member

Would love to know the answer to that one as well.

6. Juliet

Juliet Guest

7. Tracey&Jones (GA)

Tracey&Jones (GA) Well-Known Member

But goodies!

Juliet likes this.
  8. Stacy & Asia

Stacy & Asia Well-Known Member

I hope you get a satisfying answer, but my wild guess would be that it’s really hard to say and there is no hard and fast timeline, it’s just a pattern that shows up on the SS and can be dealt with reactively at that time. The longer you hold the dose and aren’t seeing good numbers, the likelihood of glucose toxicity increases. As I see it, just like we are grooming them to accept lower numbers, if they sit in higher numbers too long, they think it’s normal.

You’re in a bit of a pickle as far as when it’s safe to increase vs staying at an ineffective dose too long because of your curve limitations and his refusal to corporate by not bouncing in that short window. Hopefully this was a one off and you’ll get the next curve and be able to increase. :bighug:

9. Juliet

Juliet Guest

I sure hope so. Much as id like to quit my job and be his full time carer it’s just not feasible. Wonder what other full time workers do.

10. Gill & George

Gill & George Well-Known Member

On this sticky there are a number of comments about what folks that work full time have done in order to manage a job and FD. Although it is written with TR in mind some of the comments may be helpful to you. If you haven't read it or if you have but it was a while ago it might be worth taking a look.
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/...ion-possible-with-a-full-time-job-yes.129378/

Girlie's mom likes this.
  11. Juliet

Juliet Guest

Thanks. I did read it. Very interesting. Those workers lived close enough to nip home at lunch and leave late enough in the am that they could get +2. Must be nice.

12. Gill & George

Gill & George Well-Known Member

If you are out for 12 hours on a working day, there is not much you can do.:bighug::bighug::bighug:
    Hang in there, do the curves when you can and grab a spot check whenever an opportunity presents.
    Sending active cycle vines for your curve day.

PussCatPrince - GA and Juliet like this.
  13. Jill & Alex (GA)

Jill & Alex (GA) Senior Member Moderator

I think what you're asking is how long can you hold the dose before glucose toxicity sets in. Please correct me if I've misinterpreted your question.

Some say there's a possibility glucose toxicity *can* set in in a matter of days.

Givens:

• We always recommend knowing how low a dose is dropping kitty prior to making dose adjustments. This will help the caregiver make informed decisions while keeping kitty safe.
    • The longer a dose is held (when the dose is too low), the likelihood of glucose toxicity increases.

What I'm saying next is a matter of personal opinion... mine... so take it FWIW. :)

Given your circumstances... circumstances which apply to you and Silver based on the information you've given us regarding your schedule, limited availability of food mid-cycle, and Silver's data to date... I can only share what I would do. If I were in the same spot as you I would put safety first. I wouldn't adjust the dose until I felt comfortable knowing how low the current dose was dropping him. Personally, I'd rather deal with glucose toxicity (if it sets in) than worry about the safety of my cat.

"If" my schedule were more flexible I might be inclined to take a chance and make an adjustment if I knew I could monitor carefully and/or I knew my cat had food available round the clock AND knew he would self feed when low.

I probably have less fear dealing with glucose toxicity than most on the board today because when I arrived on the FDMB's door step in 2006 the use of Lantus in cats was relatively new in the USA. We were finding our way with the insulin. It was not unusual for caregivers to hold a dose for one to two weeks... some longer. I'm telling you this only to let you know why holding the dose doesn't freak me out as much as it might someone else.

I understand your concerns and your frustration. At this point, I think you're the only one who can weigh the odds and then decide how you should/want to move ahead with Silver.

If I've misinterpreted your question, please disregard my comments...

14. Juliet

Juliet Guest

Nope. You got my question spot on. I’m so hoping I can get a non bouncing curve this weekend. I am pretty sure he’s going into blues most days but I’m not convinced he’s going into greens. The few times he’s had blue at night he’s stayed pretty flat. Fingers crossed for this weekend. Thanks.

Stacy & Asia likes this.
  15. Jill & Alex (GA)

Jill & Alex (GA) Senior Member Moderator

You're welcome... good luck!

Juliet likes this.
  16. PussCatPrince - GA

PussCatPrince - GA Well-Known Member

Just this above.

Rainy soggy but manly hugs from Tyler to Silver.

Juliet likes this.
  17. Girlie's mom

Girlie's mom Well-Known Member

This is a great set of tips, but I don't know that it would work if you have a cat who does sudden deep dives like Girlie. It sounds like a lot of those kitties were pretty predictable after their owners got a predictable +2 and acted on that. I wish Girlie were like that! :)

PussCatPrince - GA and Juliet like this.
  18. PussCatPrince - GA

For a little smile as you gave one to me yesterday when I was feeling the complete and utter pits.
    Multi-coloured tutu with hidden blue pleats

zzzzzzzzzzzSilver loves Juliet.jpg

19. Juliet

Juliet Guest

Love it! You couldn’t find me a geeen tutu ? :D

20. Juliet

Juliet Guest

Back to pink.....looks like same as what he did 12/3 and 12/4 hmmm still too high. I am definitely leaning towards increasing after the curve. Been a week since our last blue.

21. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

I just got the tag (I’ve been off today) but I see Jill did a great job of answering your question and it was the information you were seeking.

Gill & George and Juliet like this.
  22. Juliet

Juliet Guest

Hating these highs

23. Bronx's dad (GA)

Bronx's dad (GA) Well-Known Member

yeah, reds do suck :mad:

Juliet likes this.
  24. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

I just saw the tag, as well (busy day at work). I agree with Jill -- safety comes first. You can break through glucose toxicity should it occur.

Juliet and Gill & George like this.
  25. PussCatPrince - GA

Don't blame you at all. You and Silver deserve to see a bit of blue.

Juliet likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.