1/4 TiTi is better, eating, steady gait, purring and preening and all the other p's

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Kathy and TiTi, Jan 4, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kathy and TiTi

Kathy and TiTi Well-Known Member

http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/...ase-last-night-by-5-to9u.189043/#post-2102475

OF course the dexamethasone has pushed her BG into yellow and low pink, even with the dosecrease of .5U t0 9U. I assume that will resolve as the steroid wears off.

I have only used it , as best I recall, less than 3 times in her 3 years of FD.

I didn't tell all of you just how sick she was, because I was too upset to fully describe it. Now that she's so much better, I can tell you. She was vomiting, and could barely walk - her balance was so far off that that she stumbled when she walked. Spent most of her time in the meatloaf position and her eyes were tense with misery. She couldn't eat, and the ondansentran was not enough help for her to begin to eat. She became dehydrated, and frankly, it looked like I was about to lose her. So I threw the kitchen sink at her. I hydrated her, started Doxycycline, and gave her a 1ml shot of dexamethasone, with .5 ml b12, in hopes that she would start to eat, and the inflammation would be reduced by the steroid.

Her improvement was all I hoped for, even though I do not know just how much of it is transitory, since the effects of a steroid are indeed transitory.
    The suddenness of this onset startled me. Except for a coughing fit the night before (probably a herpes recurrence) she was fine. The weakness - or was it a neurological event (?) - was profound. I know that acro can cause neurological problems, so I am wondering it that was part of what was happening ? @Wendy&Neko is that possible?

I am continuing the Doxycycline, have added daily Cerenea, and am hoping that this resolves. I love this little black kitty, my TiTi, and I cannot fathom losing her.

Thank you everyone for your advice, information, and support. Without all your help, it would have been so much worse, for it's quite terrible to be alone in this. And I wasn't.

2. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

That does sound like a very scary indicent. :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug: I am so happy she seems to be improving.

We have seen very few neurological issues with acrokitties here. I have heard it's a late stage symptom but so far the only manifestation I've seen here is circling. When was the last time Titi had a vet check and bloodwork? Just wondering if there is a potassium issue causing leg weakness. Heart issues are more common with acros and can cause inappentance and coughing. The worrisome thing with the heart is that fluids can be contraindicated. And so are steroids. Wouldn't hurt to have a vet listen to her heart. Have you checked her respiration rate? When she's at rest, you count the number of full breaths (in and out). Ideally less than 30 per minutes.

3. LizzieInTexas

LizzieInTexas Well-Known Member

:bighug:

Glad she us doing better. Take care of yourself too.

Kathy and TiTi likes this.
  4. Chubba (GA)

Chubba (GA) Well-Known Member

Glad things have improved. That sounds terrible to have had to experience . So happy she is doing better today. Prayers for her continued improvement. :bighug:

5. Kathy and TiTi

Respiration rate 34/minute. BG400. Gave her the shot 20mins early at 7:10pm.
    It's been within a year, but well over 6months.
    I'd like to see a kidney panel and a CBC. the lack of coordination might well be related to low potassium. She got a little better after 75mls lactated ringer, though she was still very weak, so it's possible her kidneys are in trouble. The vomiting and not eating for 2 hours might have thrown her electrolyte system out of balance. I guess she could have just been extremely weak. But,yea, it's time for blood work, and a checkup. I think between the fluids and steroid, she'd have had some further even more serious symptoms, if it was heart yroublle, but it's good to check,

Last edited: Jan 4, 2018
  6. Kathy and TiTi

Thanks. Hoping to get some sleep tonight

7. Kathy and TiTi

Thank you.

8. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

I'm glad TiTi is doing better. I hope she continues to improve and you can get some rest. Sending prayers. :bighug::bighug::bighug:

Kathy and TiTi likes this.
  9. Kathy and TiTi

Thank you. she seems to be holding firm. But after last night, I'm wary. I wish I knew what caused it. Pretty sure about the pancreatitis, but the imbalance is a puzzle.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.