1/4 Webster Need quick dosing advice

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Websterthecat, Jan 4, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Websterthecat

Websterthecat Member

Webster has been trending downward all day and just hit 47 preshot. Check ss.

His shot time is in 5 mins.

I'm leaning towards skipping and reducing in the morning.

Any advice. Thank you!

2. Websterthecat

Websterthecat Member

I was reviewing the post on shooting low numbers. I just fed him 1.5 oz of his 4%carb before reading, this makes it difficult to tell if a rise in the next few minutes is food related or he is trending upwards... It's looking more like a skipped shot tonight.

3. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Can you test again in 15 minutes (without feeding) and see what he's doing?

4. Wendy&Neko

Oops, missed your last post. So yes, looks like a skip tonight unless you can stall for quite a while. I'd still test again to make sure the food is bringing him up.

5. Websterthecat

Websterthecat Member

Yeah... I went ahead and fed him not thinking about giving him a little while longer to see what he does. When he gets down to 47 I become fairly nervous, especially since hes been trending downward all day long.

I know that his BGs readings are going to be off due him eating.

6. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

We do have a saying to Feed The Forties. I think you did right.

Are you able to be 2 hours behind in shot time, and slowly adjust it back to your preferred time? Just asking.

7. Marycatmom

Marycatmom Well-Known Member

Webster, you are giving Daddy a heart attack! Go easy, buddy.

8. Websterthecat

Websterthecat Member

My wife and I were just talking about that.

Yes, I'm flexible. I just not sure when the right time might be. I would guess that if we see a significant jump in the next few mins then it might work. I'm just not sure how much of a jump we are looking for.. 50+ pts in the next hour? It's going to be difficult to determine if it's a food related movement or a natural rise.

9. Websterthecat

Websterthecat Member

You got that right! :D

10. Websterthecat

Websterthecat Member

up to 67... 30 mins after last check. He also ate 4% about 30 mins ago

11. Websterthecat

Websterthecat Member

What do you think about shooting .75u if I get another reading higher than 67 in the next 15-30 mins?

12. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

67 at +12.5 with food on board.
    I would be more comfortable, if you test again in an hour (+13.5) and he is like 120 to 150. What do you think?

13. Websterthecat

Websterthecat Member

That number sounds much better.

He's scheduled to get another 1.5 oz more food at +1 (+13). Perhaps I should test just before his food his feeder goes off at +1 and then let him eat and test again at +13.5 before making the call?

Last edited: Jan 4, 2015
  14. Websterthecat

Websterthecat Member

With him flirting with the 50's and finally crossing the threshold, I think its time that Webster earns a reduction. What do you guys think?

The cycle seems to be that he drops in to near hypo range, I feed him MC-HC and he still seems to bounce high from the drop.. The bounce clears, he drops once again to near hypo range and bounces high once again.

15. Websterthecat

Websterthecat Member

I know that the spreadsheet is probably confusing by now so here's a recap:

+11.75 = 47
    +11.75= First feeding of 1.5oz 4% carb food
    +12.25= 67
    +12.75=94
    +13=111

Last edited: Jan 4, 2015
  16. Wendy&Neko

Any chance you could hold off on that +1 fuds so we could see if he's really rising? I like Dyana's idea of getting him to 120-150 then shooting. You could go with the .75U if you want. Just be prepared that he may need to go back up if the reduction doesn't hold.

17. Websterthecat

Websterthecat Member

Sorry, just a couple mins too late. The timer went off and he ate. I can test him immediately before this food kicks in.

Edit.. 111 about 5 mins after he ate his +1 food. I don't think that his +1 food has started to kick in yet.

18. Websterthecat

Websterthecat Member

176 @ +13.5

I have lots of test strips, 32%, 20%, 8%, %4 food, karo, and the rest of the night to spare.

We are going for the reduced shot of .75 @ +13.5

19. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

I would go for it.

20. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

I tend to handle a situation like this a little differently. You might want to look at Gabby's SS for 12/24. She was in the 40s at PMPS. She got about 1 - 2 teaspoons of food and I re-tested in 30 min. and repeated until I saw that numbers were rising an hour later. That's when I shot. I used a minimum amount of food to bump her numbers. Once numbers were rising, I shot.

I do have a ton of data on Gabby and I'm very comfortable with managing her numbers. I'm just putting this out there in that it's more typical to see that jump up that you just saw since you're at the point where the effects of the Lantus from the AM cycle are rapidly declining.

21. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

I can't stay up with you though. You know what you are doing.

Good luck with the new dose. :D

I'm sure others will be around to help you if you need it.

I would test again at +2. (That's 2 hours after the shot);)

22. Websterthecat

Websterthecat Member

Thanks Dayna. I can handle it and I appreciate your help.

23. Websterthecat

Websterthecat Member

Interesting approach. I'll have to consider this next time this happens. Thanks for sharing.

24. Marycatmom

Marycatmom Well-Known Member

Behave, Webster.

25. Websterthecat

Websterthecat Member

Looks like its going to be a tricky night.

Webster dropped 80 pts between +2 and +3.

The other day I had to load him up on so much food to stop his fall that he almost became sick from eating so much so fast.

This time I decided to break out the big guns (32%) in smaller quantities of 1/2 oz @+2 and 3/4 oz @ +3 to stop this fall before he dipped into the 50's and below.

It looks like I stopped his fall and hopefully didn't send him too high. I guess we will find out in the coming hours.

26. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

Actually, Sienne's method comes straight from Dealing with Low Preshots

• By just feeding a tsp or two, you are then not dealing with a food spike and the rise is the cat's natural rise so you can feel safer shooting a lower number and not waiting until he's over 100 to shoot.

27. julie & punkin (ga)

julie & punkin (ga) Well-Known Member

wow look at how long his green stretch was during the day cycle - and he's back in green for a while and surfing along tonight. Last time he had a whole day in green he was at 1.5u - this is great progress. :D

28. Sandy and Black Kitty

Sandy and Black Kitty Well-Known Member

Never a dull moment in Websters world! :cool:

I'm glad you didn't skip - Well Done!
    Nice stretch-o-blue & green there :D

Although it wasn't often I found BK in the upper 40s at PS time we did have a handful of occasions where we used that strategy successfully.

29. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

When you're feeding HC to bump up numbers, you don't want to feed so much that your cat refuses food or vomits from the over feeding. The trick is to use a gravy based food and feed the gravy -- it contains the bulk of the carbs and it isn't as filling. Alternatively, you can use a small amount of food and add a drop or several of syrup. (I do the latter since there is gluten in the gravy-based foods and Gabby is sensitive to gluten.)

30. Websterthecat

Websterthecat Member

I've been using Friskies "Indoor in sauce" but have been finding a lot of fillers like rice and the gravy is difficult to separate from the food. What's a good HC food that's loaded with tons of gravy? BTW, he loves just about anything with turkey and gravy. :)

31. Websterthecat

Websterthecat Member

Thanks for confirming that Marje. I'll have to give that a try next time, hopefully there's not a next time of course. ;)

32. Websterthecat

Websterthecat Member

Yes, I'm hoping that this is a sign that his pancreas is coming back to life. I hope that this new .75U dose sticks!

33. Websterthecat

Websterthecat Member

Thank you Sandy.

In the instance where you feed him a tbs of his regular food at a time, at what point do you begin to feed him higher carb food?

For instance, lets say that he's at 45 and it's preshot. I give him 1tbs of 4%, check him 30 mins later and he's at 40 and then give him another tbs of 4%, check again and hes at 37. At what point do you call it quits and start feeding the higher carb food?

34. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

Normally we stall two hours only because more than that and it makes it harder to make up the time. If he is in the 40s and you are stalling and feeding small amounts of LC and he drops into the 30s, you might feed a little more LC or consider skipping at that point and reducing the dose the next cycle.

35. Websterthecat

Websterthecat Member

Thank you Marje.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.