1/5/16, Razz Update,... more news..

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by CEJ, Jan 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CEJ

CEJ Member

Yesterday's post is here....

Ok, the good news is so we had some green numbers last night and this morning.

We took him to the vet this morning and they confirmed he had been in a fight and had some puncture wounds that had swollen and then expressed themselves. They also found a punctured left eardrum.

They gave him an injection of antibiotics (I don't know exactly which at this time).

I watched his levels all afternoon and they hovered in the low 110's but +2 after his low carb evening meal I got a 161! OMG!

Thirty minutes later he is at 146, so I'm going to keep watching it and see where this goes....

Two questions:

1) Can the antibiotics be causing this BG spike? I was already assuming the stress of the fight elevated his BG and now the antibiotics are adding to it?

2) Since his is getting no insulin right now. Is it correct that for his BG to reduce like it has (some green numbers in past 24 hours) that he is producing some insulin on his own and he could make it back to remission?

Thanks all in advance.

2. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

You might want to find out.....the antibiotic a lot of vets want to give is Convenia ...despite it not being a good antibiotic for a lot of types of infections (It's supposed to be for skin infections only), it's killed a lot of cats because it lasts for 63 days in the body and there's no way to "counter-act" it if your cat has a reaction

More info in this "Convenia, Worth the risk" post

Most of us have "No Convenia/No Metacam" written on our cats files at the vets

I'd just keep testing for the next few days.....it sounds like there's infection going on and once that clears up, he may come back down...as long as there's infection/inflammation, that's enough to keep his BG higher than we'd like it

Last edited: Jan 5, 2017
  3. CEJ

CEJ Member

Ok, now I need to take a chill pill..

Just checked BG at +3 and we are at 119....!

4. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Ouch, poor baby. That'll hurt. Inflammation, infection and pain can definitely raise the BG's.

Most likely Convenia. Not my favourite. It's long lasting so if the cat is allergic to it, you got a long term allergy. If he's had it before, he'll be OK. It's best for skin infections but often overused by vets because it's "convenient" not to have to give pills or liquid. It shouldn't raise the BG's.

If he is bringing his numbers down to green and not continually increasing numbers, it means his pancreas is working. As long as it doesn't get too stressed with high numbers, it may stay working.

5. CEJ

CEJ Member

I love you guys....

This site is amazing....

6. CEJ

CEJ Member

ok,... 99 at AMPS this morning...

little guy did everything he could to go green!

Gill & George likes this.
  7. Gill & George

Gill & George Well-Known Member

Nice he has come back down:D, hopefully as he feels better he will keep his numbers down.

8. CEJ

CEJ Member

OK here we go... +2-97, +4-91, +7-91, +9-109, +11-91........ go green!

9. Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey

Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey Well-Known Member

Nice surfing, Razz!

Just to comfort you, all of my cats have had a shot of Convenia at some point (without my knowledge or before I knew about it), and none of them ever had a bad reaction. Since Razz has not shown any signs, I guess it's safe to use on him.

FYI, we ask people to start a new thread every day and link the old one in the first post. Otherwise, the thread gets really long and people have a hard time following it. So tomorrow, could you please start a new one? If you need help linking the old one, just ask!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.