1/5 Asia PMPS 116, +1.25 183

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Stacy & Asia, Jan 5, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stacy & Asia

Stacy & Asia Well-Known Member

http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/1-4-asia-pmps-142-1-162-2-128.189108/

Asia AMPS 179. Still trying to figure out if this is a duration issue or what. Nadirs are great, PM ones mostly, but too much curve in the curve.

So this "bomb cyclone" (that's legit weather terminology, apparently :joyful:) is messing with my life. It has delayed my probiotics and b complex shipment! :blackeye: Second day of no heat and these 2 tiny space heaters just aren't cutting it with the lowest temps we've had this season (and lots of windows to boot, some over 100 years old so drafts are a super problem when the radiators aren't making this place a sauna at a constant 85 degrees). Toki is miserable and in her sweater plus buried under blankets. Asia doesn't like blankets and sweaters on her, she's cold, but she won't let me do much about it. :(

I got a good chomp on my finger last night giving the bupe. Asia wasn't being aggressive, she was just flailing and doing her thing and trying to close her mouth but my finger happened to be there. Go figure a cat with pretty much no teeth can get you, she still has the pointy ones though! ;) It bled a little which is good, I washed and alcoholed and peroxided. Nasty teeth in there, no doubt full of nasty germs. I really hope it doesn't get infected!

Good news yesterday, Asia attempted to jump on the couch for the first time in months. She got her front paws up and visualized springing vertically...it just didn't happen and she made a pathetic "I can't" noise. I'm proud of the attempt regardless, there have been zero attempts since October. I think she stopped jumping when she gained her fighting weight back.

2. Tracey&Jones (GA)

Tracey&Jones (GA) Well-Known Member

Sending warm thoughts our to you and Asia.

Stacy & Asia likes this.
  3. Patty & Champ

Patty & Champ Well-Known Member

I care for a colony of feral cats in my neighborhood. I've been bitten and got a nasty infection. My hand was swollen to twice it's size in less than four hours so you may have lucked out. Keep Neosporin, or whatever antibiotic ointment you have, and a bandage on it for a couple days and you should be good! Good luck keeping you and the fur-kids warm!!

4. Alicia & Maggie (GA)

Alicia & Maggie (GA) Well-Known Member

Oh my gosh, I can't imagine how it is with just two space heater for two days! Any ETA on repairs?
    I feel your pain on getting accidentally bitten by a cat with few teeth! I recommend an antibacterial ointment and keep it covered. Mine usually get a little red around the edges for a few days, but no infections so far.
    How exciting about the attempted jump! :) Maggie surprised me a few weeks ago when she put her front paws on the couch. Pretty sure she wouldn't try it since she can't really see, but it was a nice surprise.
    Great minds think alike... ;)

Stacy & Asia likes this.
  5. Stacy & Asia

I don't use neosporin on puncture wounds typically, but I'm keeping an eye on it. Paws crossed!

6. Stacy & Asia

ETA on repairs is anyone's guess. I'm hoping it's hours or days as opposed to months (I've heard horror stories).

Yay, Maggie! I'm all about celebrating the attempts, at least in their minds they wanted to and haven't given up trying to be cats is the way I see it! ;)

7. Stacy & Asia

Okay, she's really cold, she let me put a blanket on top of her (she hates that normally).

IMG_2715.JPG

8. Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA)

Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA) Well-Known Member

I think that as long as it bled, it will be OK. I agree with the others that Neosporin is a good thing to use. Modern first aid training no longer recommends peroxide: it damages the tissues and slows down healing. All the outdoor first-aid books recommend using just soap to clean the wound and then applying an antibiotic ointment, like Neosporin. I have used sterile saline wound wash with success (comes in a spray can and can be bought in any drugstore)

Asia: keep on trying to get up on that couch. You can do it!

Bummer on your heat situation. I hope your building can get it's heat going soon. Are they working on it? 100-yea-old drafty windows are not fun. We use window quilts (they fit on an inside track and roll up and down like shades). Might be worth looking into for the future (especially if you own your apartment). We also use pine-needle filled bolsters on the window sills to keep down the drafts.

Keep warm!

Stacy & Asia likes this.
  9. Judy and Boomer

Judy and Boomer Well-Known Member

If you have electricity can you put a heating pad under a blanket for her? Or do you have a hot water bottle?

Stacy & Asia likes this.
  10. Stacy & Asia

That's a great idea. I'm going to run out and get a heating blanket for her!

Judy and Boomer likes this.
  11. Chubba (GA)

Chubba (GA) Well-Known Member

Asia is adorable under her blanket. But I hope the heat situation gets fixed ASAP. That’s ridiculous that these things aren’t fixed immediately. I saw a story on the news were the landlord and the electric company were arguing over who needed to do what while the people were left without electricity and heat for over a week at the time of the story. Prayers that everyone in these situations are able to get warm quickly!

Stacy & Asia likes this.
  12. Stacy & Asia

I squeezed it to make it bleed more just to be sure. I know, I know, about the peroxide, I don't have an excuse, I just feel like those bubbles go in there and eat things up, and even tissue as long as with the bad stuff too. Old habits do die hard. :facepalm:

I hope they are working on it? I don't know what the problem is, so I'm not sure, but the SOP around here for anything broken is "we have to order a part" and then a couple months later you might get it fixed. :eek: I sure hope that is not the case here or I will be calling 311. LaGuardia High School had no a/c for a bit in September and didn't cancel school (you know, they have dance students and music students that play instruments requiring breathing), kids were passing out. Not sure how they resolved it, but they didn't cancel school.

We are renting so I don't want to spend a lot of money for something that won't be useful long term. I have heavy drapes on many of the windows, but not the curved glass drafty ones, unfortunately.

13. Stacy & Asia

It's a boiler issue, it's probably an ancient boiler. Super says they are waiting on a part and it should come today...but I'm not holding my breath. Off for electric blankets!

14. Tasha & Darwin

Tasha & Darwin Well-Known Member

Goodness - it doesn't sound like a good couple of days in the house for you guys! I'm so sorry you are without heat - I am quite sure I would literally die. I've been cold here, and it's really NOT cold at all in comparison! Absolutely loving that photo of Asia under the blanket - that face is so kissable!!

Here's to hoping that your finger doesn't get infected, and heals well. I've had a couple cat bites, and one was a bit infected; the other was totally fine - let's hope for the latter! Sending warm wishes your way!

Stacy & Asia likes this.
  15. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

When I get a puncture wound (usually from my cat), I do not want it to heal on the outside before the inside is healing.
    I always rinse my wound well, try to squeeze to help the bleeding, and then put neosporin on it and a bandage to try to keep the outside moist, for a couple of days. I want it to heal from the inside out as much as possible.
    Good luck with the electric blankets. I think you and the cats will love them.

Stacy & Asia likes this.
  16. Stacy & Asia

My thinking exactly. Thanks.

They were all out of space heaters at both stores that sell them near me. Had some outrageously priced electric blankets ($200) that I refused and a more affordable thought annoying overpriced for what it was electric "throw" read: electric scarf by the size of it. Still $50. :banghead: Hope the cats enjoy it.

Myagi (GA) and Heidi likes this.
  17. Pamela & Amethyst

Pamela & Amethyst Well-Known Member

18. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

I hope you get your heat fixed quickly and you and the cats can find ways to stay warm. Hopefully your finger won't get infected. Keeping it clean is most important. Sending prayers.

Stacy & Asia likes this.
  19. Stacy & Asia

And 53 now! Here we go again. Karo & gravy.

Both cats love the heated throw!

20. Alicia & Maggie (GA)

Alicia & Maggie (GA) Well-Known Member

Agree it's overpriced, but I don't think the store is trying to gouge you because of the situation. I recently did a similar search for a throw and some of them on Amazon were about that much. Did you enjoy the heat in the store while you were there? ;)

21. Stacy & Asia

I don’t think they raised the prices because of the cold, typical NYC prices, but still overpriced. :p

I was too hot in the store! So many layers, I was warmer walking around outside than being in my home! :joyful:

22. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

Oh my, that's expensive. I think I would buy one online for the future, for just in case.
    Come on up, Asia.

Stacy & Asia likes this.
  23. Mandy & Rex (GA)

Mandy & Rex (GA) Well-Known Member

This is just an example of how popular my heating blanket is... I think they wish I wasn't using it, too!
    20180101_202848.jpg

24. Stacy & Asia

It’s done!

25. Stacy & Asia

That is sooooo adorable! A pile of kittehs! :kiss:

Mandy & Rex (GA) likes this.
  26. Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA)

Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA) Well-Known Member

Glad you got the heating throw! That will help. Another thing you can try is one of those heating pads you can microwave. They stay warm pretty long if you get the kind with the "beads" inside (not the ones that can be for either heating or icing).

Love the pic of Asia and the pic Mandy posted.

Stay warm, guys! And be sure to keep your hats on (95% of the body's heat is lost through the head). Rolled-up blankets or towels on the windowsills might help keep out the drafts if you don't have bolsters.

27. Stacy & Asia

We have heat! Yay! Warmth! It’s still going to take a few hours to bring these temps up, but that’s okay! :)

Going out to see John Leguizamo’s “Latin History for Morons” with a friend. Wasn’t sure it would happen because I didn’t want to leave the kitties in the cold!

28. PussCatPrince - GA

PussCatPrince - GA Well-Known Member

Oh WOW. That is great news. She's such a girl.

Sorry to read you were gummed. Ty's got hardly any teeth too but leave a finger in the way and those gums can sure bring down a snappy chomp .

Odd to read of people being in that frozen cold when we're sweating our cobs off here. It's made the news here .

29. Stacy & Asia

It’s made the news there? Probably only because they called it a bomb cyclone! :joyful:

I wish I got gummed, she still has her canines, all of them :confused:

30. Stacy & Asia

PMPS 116, a good preshot. I’m guessing I may never sleep again. :rolleyes:

31. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

I’m glad the heaters got fixed. Holy cow is it ever cold there! My stepson lives in Manhattan.

That photo of Asia is precious! Her SS is looking great :):):)

Stacy & Asia likes this.
  32. Stacy & Asia

+1.25 183 o_O Maybe I will get sleep after all!

33. Stacy & Asia

One last photo, just because it was so cold today, it brought out their cuddle buddiness. :cat:

2A5DF078-1E08-4C2F-B62D-DB34EE67E194.jpeg

34. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

They just melt my heart!!!!! I am so in love with Asia!

PussCatPrince - GA likes this.
  35. Tasha & Darwin

Tasha & Darwin Well-Known Member

Squeeeeee!!! So cute!!! :cat:

Stacy & Asia likes this.
  36. Phoebes (GA)

Phoebes (GA) Well-Known Member

That look made me chuckle!! Stay warm friends.

Stacy & Asia likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.