1/5 Billie AMPS 185 +4 168 PMPS 264 some improvement today

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Deanna & Billie, Jan 5, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Deanna & Billie

Deanna & Billie Well-Known Member

Yesterday: http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/...apine-serotonin-syndrome-liver-masses.189092/

Hello! Billie is still in the thick of mirtazapine induced serotonin syndrome, but she's slowly making progress and acting more like herself. She's still having some lack of coordination and facial tremors while resting which scares me, but if I compare her tonight to Wednesday night, she is definitely improving. She is less restless and able to get more comfortable. She is getting her coordination back a little, as I've noticed her doing more grooming and scratching which she seemed to be having trouble with or wasn't feeling up to yesterday and the day before. Her mobility must be improving, because she has been jumping up on the cat tree, when Wednesday into Thursday she was mostly meatloafing on the floor. She even gave me a tiny kiss this evening. So, I'm taking all of that as progress, even if it's slow going. She is also eating quite well which I imagine is from the cypro. She actually shoved Brooklyn out of the way to get to her bowl. So we're hanging in there. She's such a tough lady. I feel awful that this is happening to her and pray that she makes a full recovery. Tomorrow night around 5 will be 72 hours since it all started, so the mirtazapine should be making its way out of her system.

I'm still baffled that the IM vet said mirtazapine can't cause serotonin syndrome or these symptoms. I wonder if she's saying that because she's the one who prescribed it. Both Billie's regular vet and her critical care vet think that's what this is and have seen it before. I also found this study, in case anyone is interested:

http://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10.1177/1098612X15599026?journalCode=jfma

I'll check in with an update tomorrow - hopefully it's another better day. Thank you everyone for stopping by!!

2. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear you're dealing with serotonin syndrome and hope Billie continues to improve!!

If you're interested, there's a pretty long thread HERE that details a lot of what another member went through when they had to deal with it too

3. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

I'm glad Billie is showing some improvement. I hope she gets over this quickly. Sending prayers. :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

4. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

http://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10.1177/1098612X15599026?journalCode=jfma

https://healthypets.mercola.com/sites/healthypets/archive/2016/02/04/serotonin-syndrome-cats.aspx

Those are just two articles on seratonin syndrome. I suspect you are right about tge vet that prescribed mirt. Not all cats have the reaction and many use it. I would be concerned that you were not warned about what to look for and what to do. I wasn’t warned with Tiffany either but didn’t like how she reacted so switched to cyproheptadine. Then I learned about seratonin syndrome. Ondansetron can apparently cause it as well but much less common. Neither of mine ever had a reaction to ondansetron.

I’m so glad Billie is recovering. She’s a tough cookie thank goodness. :bighug:

5. Deanna & Billie

Deanna & Billie Well-Known Member

@Chris & China Hi and thank you for finding that thread!! That experience sounds very similar to what Billie is going through. It's helpful to hear that others have made it through okay.

@tiffmaxee She really is a tough cookie! She's unbelievable. Thank you for sharing those links also!! I should share them with the vet who doesn't believe in serotonin syndrome :rolleyes:

Billie is about the same today, I think, or maybe slightly better. She seems to be improving very slowly. I don't know whether it's ataxia or dizziness or something else, but she's having trouble getting into certain positions, like to groom herself. She was also having trouble lying down in certain positions like on her side, but she did manage to do that today and seems to be getting better rest. Her back legs seem stiff, which sounds like the cat who was having trouble jumping in the thread Chris linked. But she is making her way around the cat tree, just more slowly. Her appetite has been great today, so that's something very good. Less facial twitching. And she has been purring when DBF and I are petting her.

I had hoped she would be all better by now, but I think it will be slow going. As long as there is improvement, I think that's okay. Thank you all for the visits and vines!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.