1/5: Esse AMPS= 321

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Michele and Esse, Jan 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Michele and Esse

Michele and Esse Well-Known Member

Morning, all...today is a different day...and hopefully, we'll see some changes...

Yesterday's condo: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1184

This morning she's at 345...she's hungry, wandering around, looking for food...still an hour to breakfast, though. She is sitting on the dining room chair, staring at me, wondering why there is no food out...she never did learn to tell time. LOL.

Hope all have good days, and hopefully, we'll see a gentle come-down from this into some yellows...

Best-
    Michele

2. Barbara and tuffy

Barbara and tuffy Well-Known Member

Re: 1/5: Esse PMPS+11=345

Hope you see some changes today also. Have a good day. Remember "patience grasshopper". She will get there in her own time.

3. Blue

Blue Well-Known Member

OK we need to find Esse a little kitty watch LOL.

Michelle, the trick with the look is to LOOK AWAY! I get that all the time from Shadoe, but not so much now that I LOOK AWAY. Unfortunately, she has developed a counter attack by ignoring me when I tell her it's time for test, shoot, and feed.
    She sits on the floor facing away from me, and pretends she does not hear me.

Come on Esse; let's see some nicer numbers today. See is you can have a chat with Shadoe and you two can head into those yellows today.

4. Michele and Esse

I am fairly immune to "the look"...I have 9 who "look" at me...and the kitten does take it one step further; he climbs on me, and then starts sucking my earlobe. That's hard to ignore, lemme tell ya. LOL.

Esse: AMPS=321. Trader Joe's Tuna for breakfast, and she is just a happy, happy girl. Just hopped into one of the bowls and is currently grooming...looking quite content.

I hope that today will bring some decent numbers; I'm at the barn this morning, and have errands to run, so will be gone 'til about +6 or 7 (I think). Tomorrow and Thursday I'm at school (no classes, just getting some things taken care of...), and then it's the weekend. So hopefully, she'll have a gentle decline with no scary big drops and huge bounces...but we'll see.

Best-
    Michele

5. Michele and Esse

+3.5=299. We're dropping, but nice and slowly...gradually and gently.

I'm heading for the barn now, but will be back and getting tests later this afternoon...

Best-
    Michele

6. Michele and Esse

AMPS +8.5 =332 A wee bit of a spike there. Just gave snack, so we'll see how things go. Far better numbers than yesterday, even saw a bit of yellow there for a brief minute. God love a bouncy kitty...

Best-
    Michele

7. Helene & Tizon

Helene & Tizon Well-Known Member

Re: 1/5: Esse AMPS= 321 c14

Tonight will be c14 of 2.5 right? Looks like Mr. P is pissy for 48 hours after a bloo... maybe.... not sure.
    What does the protocol say? Am thinking you may have given it a good try... but maybe other people think otherwise. Pls wait and see.
    Hang in there Michelle.

8. Michele and Esse

Yes, Helen...Ms. Esse does seem to be pissy after a blue. And the protocol says to go ahead and raise it. But I'm still a bit reluctant...

She did go green that one time, at 2.25...so I'm wondering if she can come down a bit on this dose, without her liver overreacting and creating a huge bounce. I'd like to see if that's possible. What you you (and others) think of holding it here a few more cycles, and seeing what happens? Maybe she can figure it out without bouncing so badly...and because of the green, I'm just a bit hesitant to go higher (at least today...).

If you look at my spreadsheet, she got a lot more blue at 2.25 than she has now without the giant rebounds for days. This is why I was thinking perhaps we've gone past the right dose - the holidays and me being on vacation and her dose decrease while I was gone played some part in all this...but I'm not sure what. But because of her blues there without a weird bounce afterwards at 2.25, I thought that perhaps reducing the dose from 2.5 back to 2.25 (or a skinny 2.5, or fat 2.25) may bring us to low blues/high greens without the liver screaming "don't worry, I'll save you!!"

What does everyone think? Opinions, thoughts, ideas..."all are welcome" (can anyone name that movie line?) (and yes, I'm a compendium of minutia, trivia, and other useless things...)

Best-
    Michele

9. Michele and Esse

PMPS: 370.

WCR: in a good mood. Starting to notice that she may have some hearing loss; does not acknowledge unless she sees me...and several times handclapping behind her head yielded exactly NO response. Hrm. Well, that would explain her hiding from me the other day - she didn't know I was calling for her! She's grooming, peeing and pooping fine, and seems otherwise just fine, and no red today at all! WOOT!

Best-
    Michele

10. Libby and Lucy

Libby and Lucy Senior Member Moderator

You just stopped the topical steroid yesterday, correct? If so, then another possibility is that the steroid is still clearing out. I would be fine with waiting a few cycles, if that makes you comfortable. (but the green she did have was a long time ago, by FD standards, so try not to look at that - unfortunately as pretty as the green was, anything more than a couple of weeks ago is usually pretty irrelevant. Sorry!)

Per the protocol: http://www.tillydiabetes.net/en_6_protocol2.htm

"Be aware that experimental studies in human diabetics over the last 15-20 have rejected the existence of the Somogyi effect (sometimes also called rebound). In cats, no studies have ever been done which properly demonstrate that such a phenomenon exists. Therefore, adjust the dose as described above, focusing on the nadir: don't do so-called rebound checks, as they only lead to unnecessary (and unhealthy!) hyperglycemia."

Usually we find that even when a cat is over dose for whatever reason (usually because of situations like increasing the dose rapidly to counter ketones or infection), enough glucose toxicity has built up that the best way to bust through the toxicity is by giving more insulin. The protocol also suggests increasing based on nadir and not doing rebound checks. If it is true that Esse is over dose, which is possible, once she breaks through the toxicity she will need a series of several dose reductions in a row. You'll catch those reductions because you test enough to catch them and earn the reductions. So that's what I would do (and what I did do with Lucy). The bouncing is part of Liver Training School, it's really hard to watch but almost all of us have had to go through it.

And look at me, I learned to do two quotes in the same post! :razz:

11. Barbara and tuffy

Barbara and tuffy Well-Known Member

Yes, Michele: it is true about the way it works. Tuffy is a good example of all of Libby's post. Hang in there. Don't get discouraged. She will get there it is on her schedule and body timing.

Congrats on the half-pass. Lots of good dressage books. It does wonders for their learning and confidence in their rider.

12. Roni and Moonie

Roni and Moonie Well-Known Member

Hope you find the right dose there Michele! My civvie sometimes doesnt hear me outside till I'm in the door, or could sleep through a bomb--Or else he's got some hearing loss too(not sure yet)--Hey I cant hear so well anymore either :lol: :lol: :lol:
    For me, sometimes I need to raise the dose just a bit, so I can soon lower the dose in a while..That's what I just did & it worked.. dancing_cat
    Hope you find your answer!! HUGS~!

13. Michele and Esse

Lib, I know that a lot of people don't believe that somogyi exists; I have a different opinion (although not too much to back it up with...). And to be honest, I can't figure out the difference between the rebounds and somogyi effect. Can you explain it? I'm sure I'm missing something, but I don't know what.

I'm content to hold the dose for a while, and see what happens...I stopped the topical steroid on Saturday, when she was skyhigh; it's probably cleared by now, but it may not have. I'm not sure I want to raise it today/tomorrow (I've already PM shot her), but I'm not saying no for sure. I'm just saying...maybe. I think the other day when she was at 115, she may have gone green or at least a bit lower, considering how strong the rebound was...

In any event, I think that her staying pink and poking just over the boarder into yellow-land is a good thing. Let's see how she does overnight and into tomorrow, and revisit, all right?

And kudos on getting two quotes in one post! Nicely done!

(And yes, Barb, it does help his confidence...to be able to move laterally off leg and slight hand cues is an amazing thing...and man, it's fun to ride a canter half-pass...really fun!)

Roni, I'm only a little worried about her hearing loss (if it is that). She's an indoor only, and knows this place inside out. It's just a worry because it's like "what, diabetes, a lump, and now deafness? What's next, Essemama??" And she's just a good girl in any event, so again, not worried (but will talk to the vet on Saturday about it anyway...).

Best-
    Michele

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.