1/5 Webster +11= 578 +2.5=517 +6.5=404

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Websterthecat, Jan 5, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Websterthecat

Websterthecat Member

Yesterday we had to move Webster's shot time forward 1.5 hours due to low numbers.

This morning I woke up to him meowing for food, knocking things over, and just trying to get my attention. I knew that he was either really high or really low so I checked and at +11 he was at 578!

Well, looks like he's bouncing for one of the three reasons that he typically bounces, all of which occurred yesterday.

I reduced his dose to 0.75 after yesterdays visit to 47 and plan to slide his shot time back towards the original time a little each day for the next few days.

Thanks guys for the help last night.

Let's hope that this dose sticks!

2. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

Hey Webster, you don't have to bounce THAT high. I hope he comes down slowly to avoid another bounce.

3. Websterthecat

Websterthecat Member

Thank you Tiff.

A nice gradual decline into the low to mid 300's during this cycle would be nice. :)

4. julie & punkin (ga)

julie & punkin (ga) Well-Known Member

that's elise that posts as tiffmaxee - for her kitties Tiffany and Max. I'm not sure about the "ee" at the end.

Nothing like the drama of a big bounce! LOL. At least it gives you a break day. I'd be feeding often like he was going to break the bounce beginning tomorrow morning to try to prevent a fast drop that sets him right back up again. In the recent bounces he's taken 48 hours to resolve the bounce, but at some point they'll begin to resolve faster than that.

5. Websterthecat

Websterthecat Member

Ah thanks for clearing that up Julie! Sorry about that Elise.

Could you please elaborate on "feed him often" I have been struggling with this whole feeding thing.

Lately I have been spreading out his food over the course of 4 mini meals starting at PS and every hour thereafter. The schedule goes like this: 1.5oz, 1.5oz, 0.5oz, 0.5oz for total of 4 oz of course of 3 hours.

Its difficult to find the sweet spot between not feeding him too much, and feeding him enough to prevent the next bounce.

If I continue to feed him after the 3rd hour, he will keep eating everything that I put in front of him, his BGs go up and I completely defeat the insulin action as its kicking in.

Also, if I keep on feeding him, he eventually gets sick and starts to throw up.

How do I strike a balance.

Its almost as if I have to feed him every 30 mins for the first 6-7 hours.

6. julie & punkin (ga)

julie & punkin (ga) Well-Known Member

I wish i could give you a particular plan, but it's really just trial and error. what i would be looking for is not so much connected with his shot time, but rather as soon as you see the bounce possibly starting to clear. the goal would be to prevent any 100 point/hr drops so it doesn't trigger another bounce.

it may not be possible to stop him from bouncing. it may be that he's going to bounce no matter what. he can still earn dose reductions, so i wouldn't over-focus on it. I didn't have a bouncy cat - most acro cats don't seem to be overly bouncy or have fast dives in the same way that "regular" diabetics do. They have some bounces, but not like what you or Mary are experiencing.

No, I wouldn't feed him every 30 min for 6 hrs. He seems to give at least one yellow test as a heads-up that the bounce is clearing - that's what i'd focus on. You're doing great with it. When I look at 1/1 and 1/2 I see you were able to keep him from plummeting. Mainly my point was that i would start looking to do this in the morning, just guessing that he might start clearing it sometime around then. When i caught a yellow, i'd go to feeding every 30-45 minutes or so - with the largest volume or carbs early on in the bounce-clearing. 'm not sure you have to test with every one of those if you don't want to, but i'd put out a tsp of something higher carb for him. I'd just do the best i could and try to let go of what i couldn't control.

7. Websterthecat

Websterthecat Member

Thank you Julie.

I hope that I make the right food/timing choices tomorrow to stop his plummet. I'll try small amounts of MC-HC as you suggested and see what happens.

8. Websterthecat

Websterthecat Member

Looks like he's clearing this bounce a little sooner than anticipated. Am I reading his numbers correctly?

9. Sandy and Black Kitty

Sandy and Black Kitty Well-Known Member

Hi there :cool:

A bounce may not be straight up and straight back down. .there may be one or more undulations on the way up or n the way down. Since bounces can change/evolve you just never know, so I agree yellow = heads up in Websters case.
    until things change ;)

10. Websterthecat

Websterthecat Member

Thank you Sandy.

11. tiffmaxee

Looks like he might be ending the bounce with the flat yellow.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2015
  12. Websterthecat

Websterthecat Member

What's your prediction by PMPS?

13. Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA)

Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Mike,
    I see that Webster is still enjoying his bounces. :cat: I hope that you can settle on a food strategy that helps to minimize them.
    Happy New Year!

Ella & Rusty

14. tiffmaxee

I don't think you want my predictions as I'm about 50/50. However with Max flat cycles often lead to active cycles coming.:)

15. Websterthecat

Websterthecat Member

Hopefully... Thank you.

16. tiffmaxee

See why no predictions? He sure likes to be extreme doesn't he? Time to come down now Webster. Actually past time.

17. Websterthecat

Websterthecat Member

Yup... Well I guess only time will tell.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.