1/7 Hogan PMPS 161, +2 134

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Hogan, Jan 7, 2019.

1. Hogan

Hogan Member

Yesterday's Post

Thanks for everyone's advice yesterday, particularly to Christie for staying up late with me again!

I'm a zombie today. After I took his food bowl away at +10, he woke me up at +11 really hungry. So I gave him two small cooked shrimp, since I figured that shouldn't raise his BG too much. Don't know if that was the right call.

I have noticed a pattern though, whenever I give him the HC treats to raise his BG up when it goes below 68, he is angry the next day. Don't know if some sort of carb-hangover, or if remembering the very existence of the HC treats, he remembers what he's missing. He always fights me on the insulin shots the most the day after he's had a hypo episode and is given HC treats.

I reduced to 1.25U.

Christie & Maverick likes this.
  2. Rosie & Bailey

Rosie & Bailey Well-Known Member

Hogan is really running down that dosing ladder, isn't he. Have you made any progress in getting him off the dry food? He seems to be a good candidate for remission once the dry food is taken out of the picture.

I switched Bailey cold turkey because I didn't know any better, and I freaked out at her diagnosis. Maybe some of the folks here have some tips on how to switch him over to all wet food if he's giving you trouble.

I struggle with that too. This morning, I ignored her meowing about 1.5 hours before shot time, and after a few minutes she stopped. If she had insisted, I would have given in and dealt with the higher AMPS. That's my strategy for now at least.

3. Hogan

Hogan Member

RE progress on the dry food, not really. I've tried all the tricks I've read about here (fortiflora, homemade bone broth, parmesan cheese, food topper), but nothing has worked. I also tried making my own raw food, no go on that either. I can get him to eat a couple of nuggets of Primal freeze dried raw turkey and Stella & Chewy's freeze dried turkey, which is great since he is at least recognizing it as "food", but I can't get him to eat enough to remove the dry food.

The problem when he's hungry at 5am is he jumps up on my bed and starts kneading me. At a certain point, I can either get out of bed and be up for the day or give in, and I'M SO TIRED :arghh:

4. Rosie & Bailey

Rosie & Bailey Well-Known Member

How frustrating that must be for you. I wish I had some kind of advice, but we just kind of switched cold turkey and she was willing to eat it. Such a catch 22 situation because you can't give insulin if Hogan won't eat the food, even if the food is what's causing him to need the insulin.

I hope you find a solution soon. :bighug:

I can definitely relate to that :arghh:

5. Bellasmom

Bellasmom Well-Known Member

6. Hogan

Hogan Member

Ugh, I think the PM shot was a furshot... He was testy this morning, so I tried to inject him when he was eating. That was not a good idea :banghead:

7. Christie & Maverick

Christie & Maverick Well-Known Member

Not bad for a possible fur shot...looks like Hogan's settling in nicely on 1.25u today, I think :)

8. Hogan

Hogan Member

I think I must have gotten most of it in, there was only a little wetness in the fur. I did think to myself, maybe my subconsciousness sabotaged me, it decided I needed to sleep last night and muffed the shot. I got 5 hours of uninterrupted sleep and it was glorious.