1-7 Ozgood AM+2 170

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Ozgood, Jan 7, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ozgood

Ozgood Member

http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/1-5-ozgood-amps-380.130994/

Ozgood has done a complete turn around today! He's been cruising along in the 100s all day :) No huge spikes recorded today, but he must have dropped sometime during the night to go from mid 300s yesterday to 100s today.

I may have an explanation for him staying so flat in the 300s from 12-21 to 1-6. She usually does Ozgood's injection while I feed the other 3 cats. Unknown to me, she had been using a bottle of Lantus from November. On 12-19 we started a new bottle of Lantus. On or about 12-22 she went back to using a bottle of Lantus from 11-25. On 1-3 she started using the Lantus from 12-19 again. So, 12/19-12/22: New Lantus, 12/22-1/3: Lantus from 11/25, 1/3-now: New Lantus opened on 12/19. She can't remember why she opened a new bottle, or why she went back to the old bottle. I have no idea. It seems possible that the 11-25 bottle had gone bad and now after 4 days of being on the new bottle he's doing pretty well again.

2. julie & punkin (ga)

julie & punkin (ga) Well-Known Member

wow, what a huge improvement! I suspect it was your insulin, then that was causing his numbers to be so high.

At the same time this is kind of puzzling. Lantus should last even 6 months or so if you're storing it in the fridge and it doesn't get contaminated. Are you starting a new vial of Lantus every month? That's sure expensive and shouldn't be necessary. Take a look in the Lantus & Lev: Info, Proper Handling & Storage sticky for a picture of repackaged insulin. I'm just really leery of your insulin going bad in a couple of months. Most people buy straight from a pharmacy where you can be confident it's been handled properly and not used before you get it.

Glad he's gotten back on track. great news!

3. Ozgood

Ozgood Member

Yes, it would make sense if it was the insulin. Maybe now his depot is getting built up again. Actually our vials don't last a month. They're used up before a full month goes by. I wonder if the 11/25 vial wasn't stored properly. We store it in the refrigerator on a stationary shelf, but maybe before it got to us something happened.

He was a little higher (209) at PMPS, and he was 281 at PM +2.

4. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

Do you get your insulin repackaged from your vet?

A vial of Lantus is 10ml which is 1000 units. You're only on 3 units twice a day so that's only 180 units a month

5. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Chris is right -- a vial from the manufacturer would last quite some time. I use the Lantus Solostar pens and they last well over 2 most with a dose of around 1.0u.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.