? 1/8 Archie AMPS 438, +2 386, +9 499, PMPS 440? What does that mean?

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by cmb, Jan 9, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cmb

cmb Member

Hi, isn't it a bit unusual that his AMPS +9 is higher than the PMPS? What does that mean? I'm wondering when he'll get out of the bouncing stage. I want to follow the SLGS method, but he was put on 1Unit even though we changed him to wet food only. Does that mean we should reduce the dose, even though he doesn't hit the 90? Also, we're still on the Alphatrak 2, not a human meter.
    Thanks!

2. Stacy & Asia

Stacy & Asia Well-Known Member

Lantus is known to have a “double dip” sometimes towards the end of a cycle, that is one possible explanation, another would be numbers can go down a bit from fasting (like the 2 hour preshot fast), or a bounce could be clearing and that would be my hunch for this example with the data you have. Whatever the cause, yay for a lower PMPS! :)

I hope others can chime in on the SLGS question, I’m often confused on that answer too if you reduce to .5 or keep trucking along on whatever dose you arrived to SLGS at (provided it’s not an absurdly large starting dose, which 1 unit is not). @Wendy&Neko

3. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

No....You'd stay at the current dose (only because he did get down to 100 yesterday)...there's a pretty good argument that could be made for going up to 1.25

You test more than enough to do TR....that would allow you to change the dose more often in response to the numbers instead of letting him stay in those higher numbers longer than he needs to

SLGS has you hold the dose for at least 7 days....on TR you can increase every 3 days if the dose isn't getting you where you want him.

One thing though....I'd stick with the regular doses (going up and down by a full .25) not try the "skinny" and "fat" doses....those are more for when you're really close to where you want to be and just need to "dial it in" a little better.

cmb likes this.
  4. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Looks like Archie was reading what you typed.:) I see that little 87 in there today. That means a reduction down to 0.75 units as his next dose, as per SLGS. And the good news is that he only bounced for 3 cycles before getting back down to good numbers again.

cmb likes this.
  5. cmb

cmb Member

Thanks @Wendy&Neko and @Chris & China ! Our vet said to not give any insulin if he drops below 250. Because we couldn't watch him today, we ended up not giving any morning shot. Do you think the >500 are because of no insulin or because he's bouncing?

6. cmb

cmb Member

7. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

A bit of both. I would shoot 0.75 units tonight. With the no shot, the depot will be depleted, so don't be surprised if it takes a few cycles before you see good numbers again. SLGS says it's OK to give insulin if numbers are above 200, not 250.

8. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

I agree with Wendy....probably some of both!!

Congratulations on the reduction too!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.