1/8 Myagi amps 150, +2 127, +3.5 88, +5 102, +7 139, pmps 158, +2 131

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Myagi (GA) and Heidi, Jan 8, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Myagi (GA) and Heidi

Myagi (GA) and Heidi Well-Known Member

Last edited: Jan 8, 2018
    Gill & George likes this.
  2. Gill & George

Gill & George Well-Known Member

Myagi (GA) and Heidi likes this.
  3. Myagi (GA) and Heidi

Lol I'd just noted it. But linking it is even better!

4. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

I hope Myagi surfs safely for you today.

5. Myagi (GA) and Heidi

+2 127
    Me thinks my boy is going to mess up my day. If I carb load to safely go out does that interfere with the way his body is handling everything right now?
    Ok. Just cancelled plans. Still want answer to question though. Is it as simple as the higher bg clears when the food clears or would it set us back?

6. Myagi (GA) and Heidi

7. LuanneP

LuanneP Member

I just looked at Myagi's SS & he's looking good this year too :) Way to go!

8. Myagi (GA) and Heidi

+5 102 - think that's 8% evo dry influenced as he stole Millie's treats! Too carb sensitive for my tastes - wasn't even a lot! ;):confused:

PussCatPrince - GA likes this.
  9. Stacy & Asia

Stacy & Asia Well-Known Member

He was just doing some research for you, so if you're ever desperate to bring his numbers up, you have another thing to add to the list of what works for that! ;)

Last edited: Jan 8, 2018
    Reason for edit: typo
    LuanneP and Myagi (GA) and Heidi like this.
  10. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

It would most likely just effect the cycle you are on. There's a small chance it would effect the next cycle.

11. Myagi (GA) and Heidi

12. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

Sorry to just get back to you. Sick DH. :eek::eek:

Under TR, the no shot number is below 50 if you are using a human meter, 68 for those using a pet meter. Having said that, you hold the syringe, and if he is running lower than you feel safe shooting and leaving, skip. It becomes easier with them when they quit bouncing and flatten out in low blue and green. The likelihood of a big drop is less but that doesn’t mean they won’t drop from 100 to 40 in a couple hours. Let safety and your availability and ability to test be your guide.

When you say he won’t touch the auto feeder, did you try to train him to it and it scares him? It does take some training. Gracie got it down in two times of putting treats in it and letting it open. Then she tried to pry it open. She was a smart girl. Gracie also used to graze before FD and she was very easy to get on a timed schedule.

If he’s really carb sensitive, yes you can teach him to surf with 0-3% carbs. ECID on carb sensitivity. It just looks to me like he needs just a bit more to slow those drops.

Question: was he dropping quickly before when you tried a 6% food and what happened? Did it shoot him right back up? Or did you give it when he was low and flat and it shot him up? Also remember that when you give food affects the BG. If the kitty is carb sensitive and is flat or it’s later in the cycle (e.g. he’s below 50 and you just want to give him a little bump up), you definitely want to stick with the lower carb food.

Yes, he can earn a reduction by going under 50 once, being in numbers mostly under 100 for a full week, or, if he doesn’t hold reductions well, after he drops between 40 and 50 three times. The other reason you can reduce him is if he’s hovering around 50 and just does not want to come up with HC food, gravy, etc. In other words, if you are having to work really hard for the majority of the cycle to keep him above 50, you might elect to reduce the dose.

Let me know any other questions.

13. Myagi (GA) and Heidi

I hope DH feels better fast (men - no offense awesome kitty dads) make the worst patients! :rolleyes:
    Thanks as ever with lots of love.
    It was before his first reduction. He was rising from greens newbie me wasn't comfortable with. Steered first with 11% then later with the 6% and he doubled.
    On the feeder, neither is scared of it but neither will eat out of it. Put paw to drag out treat one time. Otherwise don't seem to care there is food and water in it - no matter how hungry.
    Healing hugs to your house! :bighug::bighug:

Marje and Gracie likes this.
  14. Myagi (GA) and Heidi

Pmps 158, 0.5u, nibbled only but not worried yet. He likes to make me sweat.

Somebody probably would have had a great all green day if they didn't steal treats! :rolleyes:

15. Myagi (GA) and Heidi

Duration notes from Marje copied from Juliet thread:

duration is the entire cycle:

+0 - PreShot number.
    +1 - Usually higher than PreShot number because of the last shot wearing off. May see a food spike in this number.
    +2 - Often similar to the PreShot number. Onset begins around +2 for most cats. You'll probably see an active cycle if the +2 is the same/similar OR lower than the preshot number. Continue testing!
    +3
    - Often lower than the PreShot number.
    +4 - Lower.
    +5 - Lower.
    +6 - Nadir/Peak (the lowest number of cycle. NOTE: ECID. Not every cat has a mid-cycle nadir. Adjust the hours on this example to fit your cat.)
    +7 - Surf (hang around the nadir number).
    +8 - Slight rise.
    +9 - Slight rise.
    +10 - Rising.
    +11 - Rising (one of the quirks of Lantus/Levemir: some cat's blood glucose numbers dip around +10 or +11... not to be confused with nadir).
    +12 - PreShot number.
    Loss of duration is very difficult for most to pick out.

16. Myagi (GA) and Heidi

Duration notes from Marje copied from Juliet thread - part 2:

my question:
    So why is it important for us to understand duration if we can't even figure what it truly is or it's too subtle for us to ascertain?

It’s important so you can figure out if kitty is bouncing or if he’s lost duration and is going to come right back down after the next shot.

It’s also important if the kitty has extended duration so you can tell if he/she is getting carryover and/or overlap.

Let’s say kitty is 60 at +5 but was fed a lot of HC food and so at +8, is at 285. The BG climbs a little more until the end of the cycle and is at 300 at PMPS. But at +2, kitty onsets from the next shot and drops to 175 and proceeds to have a green cycle. That’s indicative of loss of duration but most members would say it was a bounce that cleared fast.

Why is that important? Because the CG thinks kitty is bouncing and so no test is needed after PMPS until +4 before bed and guess what? Kitty is at 60!!!!

It’s also important because the CG thinks the kitty is bouncing instead of surfing but he can’t surf because of the loss of duration. The CG might think, “well this dose is barely getting him to green for very long” but it could be the HC putting the brakes on the duration.

It’s also important to know if the kitty has a longer duration. Gracie could nadir at +15 from the previous dose on Levemir which would be +3 from the current dose. And then she would onset at +4. I had to be prepared that she was going to likely take a big drop at onset.

While longer or shorter duration might be hard to spot, it can be done with a little practice, learning, asking questions. However, because so many members never learned to spot it, they tell others that it’s a bounce when numbers go up. Sometimes it is a bounce, sometimes it’s just the normal rise at the end of a cycle, sometimes it’s loss of duration.

Gracie's Spreadsheets/Labs; The Celebration of Gracie and her “OTJ” Video; Gracie’s Tribute Video

17. Marje and Gracie

I couldn’t find an example on Myagi’s SS but there are several on Gracie’s after her endoscopy when things went crazy.

Click on her SS and acroll to 10/31. Remember she was on Levemir and so she often nadired at +12. She lost duration the a.m. cycle of 10/31, went up, came back down after PMPS. She bounced then and I gave her R so she was back down by p.m. cycle of 11/1. She lost duration that p.m. cycle, was up by AMPS and then came right back down and nipped green. Lost duration again but came back down in the p.m. cycle 11/2.

It was a trying time because she just couldn’t hold onto her duration and it wasn’t the insulin, the shot, etc. we believe something happened during her endoscopy because everything changed after that. You can see how she started getting into pinks and her overall curves were higher.

Let me know if you see what I’m talking about about. :)

18. Myagi (GA) and Heidi

+2 131
    He literally just scarfed before this shot so nice to see the stolen kibble wore off. :)

19. Myagi (GA) and Heidi

Gonna look now. Xo

20. Myagi (GA) and Heidi

It was kind of hard for me to follow because of the R and her vomiting etc, but it looked like for a couple days she couldn't hold duration for more than 6 hours or so. But I didn't see how you got it changed. Also your own note said unclear if bounce, lack of duration or what. Those were crazy dives she took. What a difficult period for you. :bighug:
    Your notes sections were amazing!

21. Marje and Gracie

“Forest for the trees”. I was exhausted, worried, etc. it’s clearer to me now.

I didn’t get it changed. I think there was a physiological change in her. None of the things I’d done before worked. I believe it was because she was sick.:arghh:

I always thought detailed remarks were important for us and also to use in teaching.

22. Myagi (GA) and Heidi

Love you

23. Marje and Gracie

:kiss::kiss::kiss::kiss::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.