1/9 Webber PMPS [308] +3 [302] Dinner

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by paige, Jan 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. paige

paige Well-Known Member

Mommabean is still having some emotional difficulties. I tried several times this morning to get his AMPS BG but all 4 babies were too hungry and I could not get Webber to calm down and stay still. Based on yesterdays numbers I decided to go ahead and give him 0.5U, test at +3 and throughout the day (the more data the better, right?) +3 will be 11:30am CST.

I am still so nervous about getting the 0.5U just right I went through another 4 syringes trying to get it just right. With my healthcare experience using syringes and such I have the procedure down, the problem is the tiny little amount in fluid! ohmygod_smile

I am sure Webber can feel my anxiety when it comes time to test. I just need to learn to breathe.....AND get up extra early to get his testing and injections done at the right time. :-|

See you all at +3

Yesterdays Condo: http://felinediabetes.com/FDMB/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1752

2. Nicole & Baby

Nicole & Baby Well-Known Member

Re: 1/9 Webber No AMPS 0.5U

Good morning, was wondering about you two! Yesteday, I got some water on a plate & practiced getting the .5, what syringes are you using? I have not had to throw any out yet - I hit the mark, now that I know the mark LOL
    I found this morning, it takes about 30mins of my time - I got up at 5:30am, tested her BG (I hate that part -her poor ears) then I gave her a snack..while I opened a can of Wellness, put some Hot Water on top & then got some Raw out (rolled it into little balls) & Sprinkled freeze dried on top, after washing my hands, etc. back in bed by 6am. This new feeding routine is what takes up my time!! Shot was given in the middle at 5:45am. Have a beautiful, blessed day!!

3. Ronnie & Luna

Ronnie & Luna Well-Known Member

Good morning Paige, would it be possible for u to try a +2, if it doesn't work out then go for the +3 for sure.

Yes, to breathing! It will work ok in the end! We've all been there.

You know, you can use the "used" syringes with some coloured water to practice so you don't use up the new ones. Take some time when you're relaxed and practice a bit. (just make sure the used ones are not near the new ones so they don't get mixed up)

You're doing well by the way! :D

4. paige

paige Well-Known Member

Ronnie you are so smart! Sometimes it takes someone outside looking in to point out the obvious (duh Paige!) That is a wonderful idea-test with the old syringes!! Yes, I will get a +2, thank you for the advice. I think that by that time both he and I will be calmed down.

Nicole--you are my idol party_cat
    You already have a pattern down. I think I may try what you are doing as well. I too dread the testing part. But I think the pen is working quite well, it is just a matter of hitting the sweet spot every time. When I am nervous I don't seem to have good luck, lol.

Also, this mornin everyone was hungry. The little buggars wouldn't even let me put the water on the food once I open the can. They just start licking at the food in the can. And of course the civilians can't figure out why it is taking me so darn long to feed them. :lol:

5. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

I'm going to be the bad guy here... It is critically important to get AM and PMPS tests. Otherwise, you are shooting blind. You have no idea whether Webber's PS was an 84 or a 350 -- and he's had both PS numbers. (Public service announcement is now over.)

Would it be possible to test Webber in some place where you don't have to contend with your other kitties wanting food, attention, etc? It sounds like it would be helpful for both you and Webber if there was a bit more calm and a lot less chaos going on around you at test time.

6. carolynandlatte

carolynandlatte Well-Known Member

Hi Paige,
    A few things...
    • 1. Im going to agree with Sienne about getting the amps/pmps before shooting. If the other cats are begging for attention and food, maybe you could put Webber in another room (door closed), feed the others so they can entertain themselves while you go back into the room and test webber. My guess is once you are able to be in a spot with little disturbances, your anxiety/stress level will go down and the testing will be much easier.

2. Lately I have been putting a syringe aside on the counter with the plunger at the point where it should be for whatever dose I am currently giving. I dont even put water in it - though you could. I use this to compare at each shot time, so I can be more confident and consistent. Sometimes when changing doses in such a small manner, I like to keep another syringe with the old dose so I can see the difference (Ive been known to believe there is not a difference...until I can visually compare).

I hope things settle down and you can find a more relaxing routine.

7. paige

paige Well-Known Member

MY FIRST BOO BOO. Bad mommy!

Sienne - I was afraid someone would slap my hand :oops: but I totally understand. I knew how important it was too. Shame on me!!

However you have another great idea (I've already gotten several this morning-which is fantastic in my mind). My work days are perfect because I don't test and feed them until I have aready gotten ready for work. At that point Webber is usually laying full spread on the closet floor just chilling.

The weekend is what I need to work on. He is now laying on the couch right behind me and I am only 30 minutes away from a +2 reading. See you soon!!

8. Ronnie & Luna

Ronnie & Luna Well-Known Member

Actually we do NOODLES around here lol!! So keep your eyes out for those. :D

And you're not a bad mommy by far!! Look where you are today! Treating Webber and helping him feel better! cat_pet_icon

(Note to Monique: where's the "noodle" on the slang dictionary?) :lol:

EDIT: I found it!!!

----> Wet noodle - an error gently pointed out (can always eat the wet noodle) :lol:

9. Monique & Spooky

Monique & Spooky Well-Known Member

We are gentle so we only do wet noodles, they are nice soft. Should something firmer be required, I'll cook them Al dente!

10. paige

paige Well-Known Member

You all are funny. Thanks for making me laugh. Okay my first wet noodle. :lol: :lol: :lol:

11. paige

paige Well-Known Member

Re: 1/9 Webber No AMPS 0.5U +2 [305]

Okay. +2 is 305. However he has eaten.

So my next question is----the numbers can be a little higher from eating? Even though the wet food has practically zero carbs? Do all FD cats have a glucose increase after eating?

12. carolynandlatte

carolynandlatte Well-Known Member

Paige,
    Cats can have a food spike. In time, with lots of monitoring you will learn what happens with Webber. If you look at our ss, you will see I mark everytime Latte has eaten and whether it was wet of kibble. I have learned by doing so, she does not get huge spikes from wet. Kibble doesnt usually spike her bg for about 5hrs and lasts a few hrs beyond that.

Also, you have no idea what Webbers numbers were preshot, so you cant say if it is going up or down. You can start determining from this point, for the rest of the cycle. Get a 3 or 4 and that will help you see whats going on.

:mrgreen:

13. Monique & Spooky

Monique & Spooky Well-Known Member

Actually all mammals should have a slight rise in BG after eating, diabetics probably more so. Since you don't know what he was before the insulin we dont't know if this really higher. Typically the +1 could be higher because of food and the old dose wearing off. The +2 is sometimes simular to the Preshot, and at +3 is about when the insulin from the new shot has it's onset so by then it may be going down.

In short we often see a slight rise between Preshot and the +3.

14. Carolyn and Spot

Carolyn and Spot Well-Known Member

Morning Paige,
    You have accepted your noodle with grace, although it was more a "for future reference" than a noodle. Don't be embarrassed, most of us did not realize the importance either. :) If you are having trouble with testing, try giving several treats throughout the process.. before, during and after. Keep any other kitties away, to keep from making him jumpy and less patient. The treats should keep him looking for more and stationary.

Now.. think back to what I said about his first week on insulin. Remember? You'll scream, cry, whine, moan, bellyache and of course kick things too, because his number can actually go HIGHER than when he was not on insulin. His body is not used to his bg numbers curving and it will go through all sorts of insanities while adjusting. Just ride it out. Your job this week is to: Test Shoot Test BREATHE Read Test Read Test BREATHE Test Read Test Shoot BREATHE Test Read Test... that's what you're gonna be doing for 7 whole days starting yesterday morning. You're gonna want to throw a fit, grab the syringe and shoot that 4u your vet said to shoot by day 3 probably, but hold steady and you will see the improvement as the days go by. I promise :smile:

15. paige

paige Well-Known Member

You did remind me Carolyn, but I had already forgotten. Webber is just fine and dandy. It is his overly protective mommy that will stress him out. I am off to Petsmart for some more treats and litter.

I will whine and moan but I know to just stay steady with this current dose and wait it out til his body gets used to it.

Much thanks to all! We will have a good day

16. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

You're doing great! We all are resources for each other especially at the beginning of this dance but even later on. There's an incredible "brain trust" here that can help you with suggestions or just tossing ideas around to help make the entire process easier.

Monique provided a a good answer to your question about food spikes. I'd take it a step further. Food, regardless of the carb content, is fuel. The only fuel our bodies utilize is glucose. Whenever we eat, our bodies metabolize protein, veggies, carbs, etc., into glucose. Carbs are most easily converted to glucose so they hit the bloodstream more rapidly than protein. (That's why when Baby's numbers were so low we were stressing feeding HC food or anything sugary.) Protein is also converted to glucose but it takes longer to metabolize so there isn't a "spike" -- the process is far more even. (If you know anyone who suffers from hypoglycemia, they are encouraged to nibble on high protein foods to bring up their BG levels so they don't rise rapidly then crash back down.)

Since every cat's metabolism is different, whether there's a food "spike" can vary. Since it's at the beginning of the cycle, it can be hard to know if numbers are still rising because the insulin hasn't kicked in or if it's due to food. Likewise, no food, unless you are feeding pure protein (which isn't a balanced diet for a cat), has some carb content.

17. Erica & Moses

Erica & Moses Member

You're doing a great job Paige! :mrgreen:

I'm glad you speak up about these newbie feelings and thoughts. I definitely feel nervous about Moses but I know that this will be a major new process for the both of us.

You're awesome, keep up the good work!

18. Libby and Lucy

Libby and Lucy Senior Member Moderator

I hope you and Webber have a good day. I'm looking forward to seeing what the later tests are!

19. paige

paige Well-Known Member

Re: 1/9 Webber No AMPS +2 [305] +6 [294]

+6 [294]

Carolyn you are so right!!! Inside I am hollering and hooting. But I am also telling myself that "slow and steady wins the race." Okay, I feel better now :razz: This too shall pass, lol.

See you all at +9

20. Nicole & Baby

Paige..I am the same way... already wanting to up the dose... I want blues & greens not the same yellows as when she was not on Insulin. Uggh...

21. paige

paige Well-Known Member

Yeah, I think we are both wanting this to happen right away. Wait---of course we want this to work right away! lol

I think we are going to get out of the house in a little, and that should help get my mind off of this. I also think I need a stiff drink drinking09

22. Nicole & Baby

Have a drink!! Or 10 for that matter LOL
    I left & ran errands - which of course resulted in dropping more &&&& on my furbabies... way too much since DX
    They own me... enjoy your time out :)

23. Jill & Alex (GA)

Jill & Alex (GA) Senior Member Moderator

yes, this too shall pass. :D
    before you know it you'll be testing, shooting, and feeding in a matter of minutes every day.

24. Carolyn and Spot

Carolyn and Spot Well-Known Member

LOL! That's the ticket girl, go have a couple drinks with Nicole but wait til after PMPS ok? No drunk shooting! :mrgreen:

25. Nicole & Baby

Re: 1/9 Webber +2 [305] +6 [294] +9 [332]

Carolyn, how about you come have a drink with us :cool:
    I think everyone needs a drink after my drama since joining ;-)

26. MJ+Donovan

MJ+Donovan Well-Known Member

Re: 1/9 Webber +2 [305] +6 [294] +9 [332]

if you wanna see scary SS colors, just peek at Donovan's numbers for the first ~5 months before switching to Levemir. Yikes.... :shock:

27. paige

paige Well-Known Member

Re: 1/9 Webber PMPS [308]

Feel better. Had a drink and some pizza. Webber's PMPS was 308. Down from his +9 of 332.

Gave them all some Fancy Feast Beef Feast (no gluten and <10% carb) and they all LOVED it. Shot another 0.5U.

I like that he is at least pretty steady and not a roller-coaster. Baby is doing even better--in the yellows. Proud of you Nicole and Baby!

28. paige

paige Well-Known Member

+3 302. Just slightly down from his PMPS of 308. Been eating dinner off and on since his 8pm shot. I am glad that he is staying consistant, but I am with Nicole in the fact that these numbers are higher than the pre-insulin readings.

Maybe soon we will see some yellows. What BG #'s are considered to be dangerous? After 3hundred what?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.