1 drop w/ diff syringes

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by majandra, Dec 18, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. majandra

majandra Well-Known Member

I am currently giving 1 drop using bd ultrafine 3/10ml, 8mm, 31g

If I were to switch to a different syringe, is 1 drop any different? 29g 1/2 cc 12.7mm

2. MrWorfMen's Mom

MrWorfMen's Mom Well-Known Member

The difference in the syringes would be in length rather than diameter to accommodate the 3/10ml vs. 1/2 ml(cc) so no effect there. The needle size being longer and bigger in diameter might make a tiny difference as in slightly more being drawn up using the push plunger in etc etc. method. Given the numbers you've been seeing I don't know if I would take that chance. I doubt the amount is that appreciable but it's such a tiny dose to start with...... Others may have a different perspective.

majandra likes this.
  3. Veronica & Babu-chiri

Veronica & Babu-chiri Well-Known Member

At this very small doses yes you may have an slightly different drop size specially because of the different needles (31g vs 29g) and lengths (8mm vs 12.7) because there may be a different amount stored in the needle and the dose may be a bit bigger but it would be very hard to really know, given the numbers you are getting if possible I wouldn't change the syringe right now

majandra likes this.
  4. majandra

Ok thank you :)
    I'll just hold onto those, maybe I'll need them someday, or can donate them. Vet gave a bunch, but no half units.

5. MrWorfMen's Mom

MrWorfMen's Mom Well-Known Member

If you just bought them and haven't opened any packages, you could try to exchange them. Not sure if they will do that or not but worth a try.

6. majandra

It was part of a kit from vet with biohazard bin. Likely not returnable. I was bending the needle of the bd syringes with the saline vial while practicing, so I figured it a good deal- stronger needled syringes and a bin. Rhubarb went to 0.25U the next day, so never used them!

Vet had actually suggested using a mayo jar or similar first, so it was my own not so good decision.

MrWorfMen's Mom likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.