1 month and heading toward being OTJ! Thank you everyone!!

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Moosmommy, Jan 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Moosmommy

Moosmommy Member

Took Moo to the vet tonight as just a follow up/check and see how I am doing and what the vet had to say comparative to the board.

At first I thought they were questioning me and my lowering his dose but turns out she said, had I called her as soon as he was in the 100s she woulda lowered him anyway!
    She was very impressed with my knowledge/numbers and how good moo was doing and how low his numbers were.
    Tomorrow is ONE MONTH since he went on the juice.
    She said she wants to just keep him at .25 and keep watching his numbers and with the .25 and diet he could be down to 1 shot a day, OR off the juice sooner rather than later.
    She said he is doing great, we musta caught it early and that I am doing a great job being vigilant!

I want to thank EVERYONE for all of the help and advice you give me/everyone here daily.
    There is no way I would have gotten to this point without you all!!!
    And hopefully we will continue to head in the right direction!

2. Wendy&Tiggy(GA)

Wendy&Tiggy(GA) Well-Known Member

Re: 1 month and heading toward being OTJ! Thank you everyone

Touch wood when you say that. I hope she does keep up the good numbers! Some cats get stuck at a low dose like my bailey but I hope moo isn't like him.

The 0.25 might be a little low for her judging by her numbers the other week (really we want to see greens) but I guess she could be going low at night since it looks like she likes to do that sometimes so you might want to do some spot checks then.

3. Elizabeth and Bertie

Elizabeth and Bertie Well-Known Member

Keeping fingers crossed for you here!

And it was nice of the vet to recognise the work that you're putting in with Moo, too. :thumbup

4. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

I think you can safely drop the no shot level down to 170, given the nadirs of over 150 and the increased glucose after skipping a shot. That should help stabilize him and still allow you to shoot.
    Just be sure to check those nadirs. Sneaking it down a smidge more.

Also, note on the spreadsheet what you're using as the nonshot level, so you can identify when you make changes.

Doing well!

5. Moosmommy

Moosmommy Member

Gotcha. We'll drop down to 170 tonight :)

6. Moosmommy

Moosmommy Member

He likes to drop down when I drop the no shot level lol

Too low to shoot tonight! :)

7. Elizabeth and Bertie

Elizabeth and Bertie Well-Known Member

Ooooh, keeping fingers and paws crossed for you here.... C'mon Moo, you can do it!

BTW: You can encourage the pancreas to work (without ovewhelming it) by feeding teeny snack sized meals rather than a couple of large meals.

Here's hoping we're going to hear some really good news from you soon.... nailbite_smile

8. Moosmommy

Moosmommy Member

He is hungry more often now so now he's getting 1/2 cans of food during the day now, so maybe that's helping :)

9. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Maybe note the food & time on spreadsheet - could be why mid-day tests are over 150. We'd like to see them a bit lower.

10. Moosmommy

Moosmommy Member

ok got it :smile:

11. KPassa

KPassa Well-Known Member

Woohoo! Great job on keeping those numbers down and reducing his dose! Fingers crossed that he might one day be OTJ.

One thing I wanted to comment on is that you mentioned reducing him potentially to 1 shot a day. With the way Lantus works, it requires two shots a day, so if you find you're skipping shots due to low numbers, you'll need to decrease it even further from the .25u so you can still safely give him two shots a day.

12. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Right now, slowly decreasing the preshot level and making sure that is safe at nadir so can shoot low to stay low.

13. Moosmommy

Moosmommy Member

SO I've finally figured out that if Moo eats a 1/2 can at 11pm or midnight... he is below 200 in the morning.
    However, last night he did not eat at 11pm and his AMBG was 217.

SO i see that I need to stay with the 1/2 can at 11pm even if I just put it out for him to go to throughout the night while I am asleep.

Btw I forgot to mention at Fridays vet visit he was up .75 lbs to a solid 12! :)
    So much better and he looks healthier now then his scrawny 10 lbs after being 20 lbs last year!

14. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Yay for weight gain!

His nadirs are still running over 150 on the 0.25 dose. There are 2 options:
    1) I think it would be safe to slightly fatten the dose if you can monitor. Otherwise, wait until the weekend. Something just above 0.25 and just below 0.5 may do the trick as long as you can keep it consistent. And keep your no shot level the same while you do this (change 1 thing at a time!)
    OR
    2) lower your no shot level another 10 points

15. Moosmommy

Moosmommy Member

I think I'll drop the no shot from 170 to 160.
    Its hard enough to line up the .25 ... Maybe we'll fatten it up a lil next in a week or whenever is good?

16. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Dropping the no shot limit another 10 points should be fine, based on how the nadirs have been.
    Aiming for the safe dose that let's you shoot ecery 12 hours.

17. Moosmommy

Moosmommy Member

Wondering why he is spiking over 200 last night and tonight.
    Any ideas?

18. Wendy&Tiggy(GA)

Did you skip the am shot on the 10th? If so, then it caused the depot to drain a bit. That could cause high numbers for a few days while the lantus depot builds up again. He could also be bouncing from lower blue or green numbers during the day or at night. Can you so a midday test and/or occasional spot checks at night?

19. Moosmommy

Moosmommy Member

Yeah I try to do a spot check during the day when I am on my lunch break if I can make it home for lunch.
    I did not shoot yesterday morning because he was in the 150's and my no shot number right now is 160.

20. Moosmommy

Moosmommy Member

Happy to see this lower Nadir today!
    Hope we can continue this trend :)

21. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

There we go! Nice nadir.

It can be safely taken lower, helping the pancreas rest and possibl heal more. Since its the weekend, do you want to try fattening his dose when you can monitor him? Or are you OK with this?

Also, you might pop over to the Lantus forum and read the stickies, maybe look at some of the condos (daily posts) there and see what you think about the process they use. The Tight Regulation Protocol has the best shot at getting to a diet-controlled state and does require significant daily monitoring and posting for feedback.

22. Moosmommy

Moosmommy Member

Yeah I can try to fatten his dose tomorrow morning.
    Another nice number tonight.
    I will try and check him at midnight tonight if I am still up.
    I've also reduced his food from 1 can @ 7am and 1 can @ 7pm to 1/2 can at both times.... in addition to his 1/2 cans at 11ish, 3ish, and 11pmish.

So he's getting his 2.5 cans of food per day... just broken down.

23. Wendy&Tiggy(GA)

What time is midnight ?+2?+4? It was great you got a midday test today but would also be good to get a mid night test too, since you feed more often during the day you might find his nighttime nadir is lower.

24. Moosmommy

Moosmommy Member

Midnight would be his +5 sorry :)

25. Wendy&Tiggy(GA)

Cool! that will be interesting!

26. Moosmommy

Moosmommy Member

+6 was 160

27. Wendy&Tiggy(GA)

Ok good to know. Can you do a few spot checks at other times during the day or night? Times you dont normally check? he may well be blue the whole time but you never know! And even if he is, being blue is better than it sounds! Wish my Tiggy was more blue and less yellow!

28. Moosmommy

Moosmommy Member

I can try to do a few today and on the weekends, but during the week I am gone from after his morning shot until right before his evening shot.
    If I get home for lunch, I usually do one around 12.

Today his AMBG was back up to 211. :(
    Well see what his +6 is in about 2 hrs

29. Wendy&Tiggy(GA)

Have you considered coming over to the tight regulation Lantus forum and posting daily? That way the experts can really keep an eye on Moo and advise changes to dose etc..

30. Moosmommy

Moosmommy Member

I might just do that.
    Thanks.
    His +7 was 171...
    I wasnt home to do the +6

31. GregFurBall

GregFurBall Well-Known Member

Hi Annie-
    Just thought I would pop in and say HI and congrats on your one month mark. Having a sugar baby is definitely quite the journey. One I'd never wish on anyone but this board is fantabulous.

Wendy makes a great suggestion about moving over to TR. There are so many helpful experienced people over there, as well as so much encouragement and support, and they can really offer some good guidance on your dosing, etc. We were able to get our Fur Ball OTJ after one month and I am thankful for all the good supporters who guided me through shooting low and really giving Fur Ball's body a chance to heal before finally going OTJ.

Hope you have a great Sunday evening. Wishing you and Moo all the best.

Karen

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.