? [10/05/15] Ratface AMPS 112 gave 1/2 dose, AM+6 135, PMPS 135, Should I continue at 1/2 dose?

Discussion in 'Lantus (Glargine) / Levemir (Detemir)' started by Ron, Oct 5, 2015.

  1. Ron

    Ron Member

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2014
    Good evening everyone!

    Things have been pretty good on the diabetic furry monster front for a couple of weeks now. Today though I ran into an odd situation. Normally my cat is 200 - 300 for his AMPS. It's been edging down for a couple of days. This morning he was at 112. I waited 20 minutes and tested again and got the same result. I had to run to work, so I gave him a 1/2 dose shot (so... 0.5 units). Came home and tested a couple of times through the day and got low 100 readings. Now it is time for his PMPS and he is still pretty low (135).

    His appetite has been off for the last couple of days, so I started feeding him cooked chicken breast today. I'm not sure what kind of dose to give him tonight. I plan on waiting 20 minutes before testing again, but if he remains low(ish) should I go with the 1/2 unit again? I'm nervous about giving him the full 1 unit dose he would normally get as I am suffering from massive fatigue levels and can't guarantee that I'll be able to get up in the middle of the night to test him, but I also don't want him skyrocketing overnight.

    Suggestions?

    Thanks in advance!
     
  2. julie & punkin (ga)

    julie & punkin (ga) Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Feb 17, 2011
    You have any idea why his appetite might be off? Are you seeing any signs of pancreatitis? It's pretty common in diabetic cats and not eating is often a sign. Take a look at the link above and see if it describes what you're seeing with little Ratface.

    I'm looking at his ss and will be right back.
     
  3. Ron

    Ron Member

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2014
    Maybe a bit of pancreatitis... it's certainly happened before. Last night he puked up part of his meal (generally unusual) and he is definitely more lethargic (read less obnoxious) than usual. I gave him 0.20ml of bupenorphine this afternoon. He doesn't seem interested in canned food but is ravenously devouring boiled chicken breast.
     
  4. julie & punkin (ga)

    julie & punkin (ga) Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Feb 17, 2011
    I think if you're tired, and uncertain about him eating, then probably I'd wait til he's eaten at least 1/2 of his normal amount food and then give the half dose shot.

    Here's some suggestions on stimulating a kitty's appetite. Maybe something there will help.

    The one suggestion I'd make, Ron, is to try to get a test right before you go to bed every night. Right now you really don't know how low the dose is taking him, and that's important for his safety. Preshot tests just don't tell the whole story.

    I'd especially get one tonight since the situation is different than the norm.

    Punkin loved chicken breast too. It doesn't have any carbs in it, and it's not a complete food, but i wouldn't hesitate to give him that if he is interested in eating it. It won't hurt anything for a couple of days, I don't think.

    So you have experience with pancreatitis with him . . . are you familiar with vitamin B-12 shots? They can really help prevent more attacks. We got it from the vet and gave it to punkin regularly. I want to say we started at once a week for a month, then gradually increased the time between shots til it was once a month for the rest of his life. I'd ask the vet about that and see if that helps him.
     
  5. Ron

    Ron Member

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2014
    Sorry, I should have clarified a bit (or at least added it to my signature). He's had bad pancreatitis episodes before so I'm fairly familiar with it. I have no idea how to treat it except to give him bupe, liver shake and wait it out. After his last bad go around I started him on B-12 injections. It seems to have helped a bit.... or he could have just gotten better. He, duplicitous creature that he is, won't say :banghead:

    I've been trying to wind his shot time back a bit and to be honest it's bounced around 8:00 - 9:30 over the last couple of weeks. That may be a cause too.

    I'll test him again and unless he's taken a big jump I'll go with a 1/2 unit. I can grab a +3 test and see where he is at.

    I appreciate you taking a look at his sheet, it's nice to have someone to bounce ideas off of.

    Thanks!
     

Share This Page