10/05/2019 Mowgli AMPS 92 +4 25 +4.5 27 +4.75 59 +5 52 +5.3 52 +5.6 68 +6 83 +7 106 +8 137 PMBG 149

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by AmandaE, Oct 5, 2019.

1. AmandaE

AmandaE Well-Known Member

10/04/2019

Mowgli earned a reduction last night! We don’t historically have a lot of success with 0.5u but let’s see if things have changed!

I went to an NHL alumni banquet last night for the Calgary flames and Edmonton oilers. They’re having a game against each other in town for the kinsmen/kinettes and half of each team will be alumni and half will be people from town who won their position on the team in try outs.

I’m not typically a big hockey fan (heresy in Canada) but it was a really fun event. Each of the alumni players shared stories from their career about things like coaches and team mates. Some were funny and some touching. I didn’t really expect to have a good time but I ended up really enjoying myself!

I come home: Mowgli is at 2.5 :eek: let’s see how he works this dose :)

Have a great Saturday!

Penelope and Mačka and Beth 73 like this.
  2. Beth 73

Beth 73 Well-Known Member

Looking good, Melly Moo:bighug: Great that you had fun night out, Amanda :) Growing up in St Louis I was and am a huge Blues fan ! Winning Stanley last season was fantastic.....let’s see what this season brings :)

AmandaE likes this.
  3. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

Congrats on the reducie. I hope Mowgli keeps surfing on the new dose. Glad you had fun last night.

AmandaE likes this.
  4. Bellasmom

Bellasmom Well-Known Member

Congrats on reducie
    And beautiful start
    Have a great day

AmandaE likes this.
  5. Debra and Yoyo

Debra and Yoyo Well-Known Member

Big congratulations on the reduction....hopefully this time the dose will stick and Mowgli will surf safely.
    Have a good weekend!!:)

AmandaE likes this.
  6. Tina Marie (GA) and Jan

Tina Marie (GA) and Jan Well-Known Member

Amanda - I remember Mowgli and Tina being on the same dose before. Now they both hit .5 together. I hope this dose sticks!!
    How do you feel about TR? I'm glad you had a good time out last night. Sometimes fun can make up a little for lack of sleep, right?;)
    Surf safely Melly Moo!!!

7. Jill & Scooter

Jill & Scooter Well-Known Member

Glad you got to have a night out.
    Congrats on the reducie! Mowgli is looking great!

AmandaE likes this.
  8. JoyBee&Ravan

JoyBee&Ravan Well-Known Member

WOW! Mowgli is really moving along with the reductions! Fingers crossed he continues . Good job Mowgli! :D upload_2019-10-5_10-1-55.jpeg

My son will be bringing his cat home on the plane . He said she still goes Nutty riding in the car. (It's an hour drive to the airport) The vet said he would NOT recommend any meds. He said it was not safe for a cat .

Have you ever used GABA? I remember reading that it works pretty good to calm them down but I don't know who tried it?

upload_2019-10-5_10-33-22.jpeg

9. AmandaE

I was cheering for the Blues last year too! They have a LOT of Canadians on their team!

Beth 73 likes this.
  10. AmandaE

+4 25 - Fed HC but he wouldn’t eat it so I sprinkled temptations on top. I’m going to straight up try and abort this cycle.

Will test in 10 mins

11. Nan & Amber (GA)

Nan & Amber (GA) Well-Known Member

Mowgli, what?????? :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Did you re-test that 25???

Try rubbing honey/karo/maple syrup/whatever on his gums-- he needs carbs now.

Beth 73, AmandaE and Judy and Boomer like this.
  12. Nan & Amber (GA)

If that 25 is real, I'm worried the temptations won't act quickly enough...

Judy and Boomer likes this.
  13. Judy and Boomer

Judy and Boomer Well-Known Member

Oh Mowgli! Get away from the sharkies! :eek::eek::eek::eek:
    Just my opinion but I would give a bit of syrup to bring him up quickly.

Bellasmom and Nan & Amber (GA) like this.
  14. J.J. and Phoebe Squeak

J.J. and Phoebe Squeak Well-Known Member

So sorry!! Sending many prayers to you & Mowgli!!!

15. AmandaE

+4.5 27 rubbed 2 drops honey on gums should I add more?
    I re-tested 25 was real, I will test again in 20 mins
    Thanks JJ :bighug: lowest that I know he has gone yet
    Thanks for the tip Judy! I rubbed a couple drops of honey

Judy and Boomer likes this.
  16. Nan & Amber (GA)

I'd give him a bit more honey, yes. Better to overshoot, and he is really really low.

How far to an ER vet? Do you have anyone who could drive you while you take care of Mowgli? Just thinking ahead here-- 20's are scary.

AmandaE likes this.
  17. carfurby (GA)

I can't stay on, but wanted to see if you have any vanilla ice cream. One person got her cat to eat ice cream to get the numbers up when the cat wouldn't eat. Sending prayers. :bighug::bighug:

18. J.J. and Phoebe Squeak

Any way to squirt some honey into his mouth as well as rub it on his gums? A friend had an emergency like this and that's what helped her cat.

AmandaE and Nan & Amber (GA) like this.
  19. AmandaE

We only have on cal ER vets but yes we have access to one. I do have some who can drive me if we need to go and i have the number on hand,

yes this is his lowest ever, a positive I am hoping will remain true here is that Mowglis typical nadir is +3-+5 so I hope he also starts coming up alone... I am assuming i should skip his pmps?

Nan & Amber (GA) likes this.
  20. Nan & Amber (GA)

Too soon to say on the PM shot, one thing at a time!

How is he acting, other than not being interested in the HC?

AmandaE and Beth 73 like this.
  21. Beth 73

Amanda, when E won’t eat I syringe the food/gravy .....small amount slowly....sometimes I can’t depend on him eating

22. AmandaE

+4.75 59 I am assuming that is the honey, I will test again at +5

Instead of friskies this morning I had fed FF I wonder if because it was so low carb that it was a contributor here?

@carfurby @Beth 73 I have Icecream Carla! good tip! I dont have a syringe

He's a little quiet but acting normally for a morning... he is... as usual sitting by the back door wanting to be let out... as if its an option for him :p

Nan & Amber (GA) and Beth 73 like this.
  23. Beth 73

Yippee for 59 but remember a honey high only lasts so long ....I have to remind myself of this when using honey , that it’s a quick, temporary fix .

Judy and Boomer and AmandaE like this.
  24. Nan & Amber (GA)

Hope springs eternal!

Phew! on the 59. Interesting about the food difference today. I was also looking at his spreadsheet, and it really seems as if a switch was flipped when the calendar turned to October. Maybe his pancreas has decided to get off the sidelines????

Beth 73 and AmandaE like this.
  25. J.J. and Phoebe Squeak

26. AmandaE

I think / hope youre right on the pancreas, I also am trialing TR from SLGS (should add this to the SS) which directly started in October. There are a couple things that were new in October:
    1. Trial of TR began - I think holding the doses longer especially around 1u is something that really helped
    2. I had switched from FF mornings / Friskies evenings to Friskies all the time (which i didn't follow today because i have ALOT of ff and I wanted to use some and thought that bc Mowgli had a reducie and he's usually higher in am's that he would be ok with the FF )

Beth 73 and Nan & Amber (GA) like this.
  27. Judy and Boomer

YAY for the 59! The honey won't keep the BG up for very long so please do test again and don't hesitate to give a bit more honey if needed.

Beth 73 likes this.
  28. AmandaE

+5 52 he is sliding a bit what should I give? he's not too hungry

can I wait for 20 mins and another test to intervene?

Beth 73 likes this.
  29. Nan & Amber (GA)

Yeah, but no more than 20-- not sure what he's up to here. Hopefully he's sliding past nadir and is about to start coming up...

30. AmandaE

That's what I am kind of hoping too - 8 mins away from the next test

Beth 73 likes this.
  31. Beth 73

Come on Melly Moo’s nadir !!!! :bighug:

32. J.J. and Phoebe Squeak

Yes, come on Melly Moo Fluffy Butt!! Go back up please!!

33. AmandaE

+5.3 52 He is holding, I will check in 20 mins again... He did just throw up some of the HC... is nausea a symptom of Low BG?

Beth 73 likes this.
  34. Sonia & Leo

Sonia & Leo Well-Known Member

Come on Mowgs stay on the beach!
    Good luck Amanda!

35. Sonia & Leo

Could be the honey

36. Nan & Amber (GA)

I don't think so, but the honey could be doing it. He may just generally be feeling yucky today, explaining why he's not interested in the food. Makes this a lot harder, so I'm glad he's (barely) over 50...

Beth 73 and Sonia & Leo like this.
  37. Sonia & Leo

Do you have any maple syrup?

Beth 73 likes this.
  38. Tomlin

Tomlin Well-Known Member

Sending increasing BG thoughts your way!

39. Beth 73

Amanda, that’s what Elmo sometimes does in same situation ....do you have any SEB ? When I’m giving honey and battling low numbers with gravy or honey I mix up a little SEB and give little bits before each dose of honey or gravy ....just a thot .

Sonia & Leo likes this.
  40. AmandaE

As a proper Canadian... yes... I have maple syrup :D My grandfather makes it in NS every year and i brought two 40's of it home this summer :D
    I dont have it, he has never been a nauseous guy outside of hairballs where do you buy it Beth?

41. Beth 73

Amazon in capsules....or loose at health food store....on Amazon best brand is NOW brand ....good for people too

AmandaE and Sonia & Leo like this.
  42. Sonia & Leo

43. Sonia & Leo

If you have to keep propping him up, maybe he'd prefer some of his Great Grandfather's home made syrup instead of honey? I know I would! :p

Beth 73 likes this.
  44. Beth 73

Sonia & Leo likes this.
  45. Sonia & Leo

Amanda, PM me your address and I'll send you some of mine, first thing Monday Am., I have 125 grams which will probably expire before I use it all. Exp date is April 2020.

46. AmandaE

+5.6 68 removing the 911 for now, I think that we are past his nadir so I will grab a test at +6 and start hourly tests... make sense? (+6 is in 10 mins)
    Thanks Beth! I will have a look around for some SEB to keep in my 'Cat cuppboard'

I hope I'm done propping for now! I want to keep all that syrup for myself :p but next time I will try that in case it was the honey that made him nauseous.

47. Sonia & Leo

That's a good idea Beth, I never thought of checking at Bulk Barn here in Ontario but the health food stores near me don't have bulk items.

48. Sonia & Leo

Ya, honey makes me nauseous too! :confused: Feel better soon Mowgli :bighug::bighug::bighug:

49. Nan & Amber (GA)

OK Mowgli, that's much better now!

Beth 73 likes this.
  50. Sanda Elena

Sanda Elena Member

Mowgli! Stay safe please!
    25? Really boy? Amanda have no advice but I am sending tons of safety vines:bighug:

Sonia & Leo, AmandaE and Beth 73 like this.
  51. AmandaE

Thanks so much for your quick response Nan, it was such a relief to have you here right when I realized what a drop Mowg had this morning :bighug:

@Judy and Boomer Thanks to you as well, I know the importance of honey/karo but when you're in the situation for the first time it's maybe not so obvious ;)

Thanks for being with me and providing some other tips along the way @Beth 73 @Sonia & Leo @J.J. and Phoebe Squeak

QUITE a morning... I'll keep monitoring, but i think the worst part is behind us.

+6 was 83

52. Beth 73

Amanda, not gonna lie...seeing that 911 made my blood run cold....just the bit I’ve been thru with Elmo makes it grab at my heart when I see others go thru it....so glad he is coming up ....sending prayers and hugs :bighug:

Sonia & Leo likes this.
  53. Tomlin

Tomlin Well-Known Member

I second that. We had our boy go low but in the middle of a Pancreatitis flare & GI infection so it was all about honey followed by syringe feeding gravy!! I would definitely recommend getting a feeding syringe for the hypo kit because that really saved us in that situation. Get one & play with it one day with gravy...make sure it will suck it up easily etc..

Hope the rest of the day & evening goes well Amanda. I am happy to see that all is ok.

Beth 73, Sonia & Leo and AmandaE like this.
  54. AmandaE

I think he's done fighting with the sharkies... I'm going to test again in an hour and if he's still going up I am going to give poor Melly Moo a pokie break.

RE: his dose tonight, should I:
    -Continue on with the 0.5 and make sure we're feeding Friskies?
    -Skip tonight and pick it back up tomorrow?

This is my first 911 post, I have 0 experience in these situations so I am so glad everyone was there... especially I am lucky because it's a weekend and still there were members available to help. I think for me I was just in game mode so I didnt have time to panic!

Beth 73 and Sonia & Leo like this.
  55. AmandaE

Yes! @J.J. and Phoebe Squeak provided a link to one on amazon and I think I will order it today ;) with SLGS I really hadnt had to worry about it too much. It looks like Mowgs has entered a new phase where I have to re-adjust what I 'know' about him

Beth 73 likes this.
  56. Nan & Amber (GA)

He may be really high tonight, which might tip the scales over to the "go ahead and shoot" side, but if it were me? After hitting the 20's, I'd skip and drain the depot a little bit tonight.

Plus, for you, once this adrenaline rush fades, you could probably use a rest tonight, too!

You were amazingly calm, by the way. Total rock, I would never have guess that it was your first 911!

Tomlin, Sonia & Leo and Beth 73 like this.
  57. Beth 73

You responded like you've done it before, Amanda !!! Very impressive !

Sonia & Leo and AmandaE like this.
  58. Tomlin

Tomlin Well-Known Member

59. AmandaE

Thanks Nan! If he goes up high I will probably go for the dose then but if he remains green I will probably skip. I am home tonight so I can monitor.
    Thanks Guys :bighug:
    One quality that I have always had is to be able to keep myself focused in an emergency situation.. I can compartmentalize my stress and focus on one thing at a time so that I don't panic and stay in control of the situation. I am very grateful that this is something that I have been blessed with. It probably would have been different if I didn't have you guys providing instruction and support though! ex: honey ;)

Sue and Luci, Beth 73 and Sonia & Leo like this.
  60. Sonia & Leo

I agree with Nan. Mowgli's had 2 reductions and 1 skip already in the past few days...he's on a serious mission!

61. Tomlin

Tomlin Well-Known Member

I would skip it. Skipping it will also give you information with regard to what the body is doing, possibly provide some idea of how much you are “topping” off insulin already being made by the body. Just a thought :)

Beth 73, Sonia & Leo and AmandaE like this.
  62. AmandaE

Mowgli certainly IS going for it!!he's doing TOO good of a job ;)

I have never used gaba, I remember someone earlier in the year saying they use it for their cat when they take them to the vet... I forget who though. I think maybe it was @Olive & Paula? I had given Mowgli Zylkene but Im not convinced it actually worked... I think he was just calm on the flight. I found the car ride worse than the flight for Mowgli, hopefully it will be the same for your son. You must be really excited for your son to return home :)

63. AmandaE

I think today Mowgli got a little TOO ambitious following Tina :p

So far I feel like TR is good for Mowgli but I find it a little stressful, especially since he has been taking these dives. I am having to stay up late a lot on work nights too which makes it hard, but i think that should lessen as I gather more data on him while following this protocol. I am going to take everyones advice and skip again tonight to see what Mowgs little pancreas can do on it's own and to drain the depot

64. AmandaE

I am convinced ;) thanks!!

Sonia & Leo likes this.
  65. J.J. and Phoebe Squeak

The link I sent is not the one I ordered -- the one I have is no longer available. And it looks like the link I sent is the nipple only -- no syringe. So you might want to look around and/or ask others for suggestions. Mine came with a syringe too. I wanted something soft I could put in her mouth in an emergency if I had to squirt gravy or syrup or something. I've never had to use it (knock wood) so you might ask those who have experience what they've used.
    Congrats on keeping your cool! I was a wreck just reading and following along! No more diving Mowg!!!

Sonia & Leo likes this.
  66. Tomlin

Tomlin Well-Known Member

Now I will be able to sleep :p! When I stopped on this forum & saw your 911 my heart sank! SOOO happy all is well. Mowgs is probably like “what’s all the fuss?!” Gotta love the Catitude :cool:

67. Tomlin

Tomlin Well-Known Member

Four Paws Easy Feeder Syringes. You can order them from Amazon. They also have a bottle feeder but honestly, the issue with small openings vs larger openings is you would have to really water the food down for it to work & then you end up having to do a lot of it to get the food in them. If you have one with the larger opening you are able to mash the food (order a baby food smasher *Oxo Baby food masher with bowl from Amazon), warm it add a tiny amount of water or broth & it will come out of the syringe controlled & pretty easily. You can use a popsicle stick to load the syringe from the top. Definitely play with one with some food when it comes because it’s good to not have to figure out the consistency etc when in an emergency situation. You want to be able to just do it. As far as softness of the tip, it’s not really an issue because the opening isn’t really touching their mouth. Aim & shoot a small amount in toward the corner of the mouth & let them swallow & then shoot some more.

68. AmandaE

Thanks so much Laura, he’s recovered thankfully :)
    Perfect! Thanks for all the tips Amy :) :bighug:

69. Tomlin

Tomlin Well-Known Member

I am hoping it is like an umbrella & you won’t need any of it! It will sit in your cabinet or counter & get dusty :D

AmandaE likes this.
  70. Judy and Boomer

Hi Amanda....just wondering when he last ate and when you last gave syrup. We want to make sure he's coming up on his own without the influence of food/syrup.

Tomlin and Beth 73 like this.
  71. AmandaE

Hi Judy, he hasnt had anything since this morning (honey at +4.5) but his +8 is 137 so i am confident he is coming up on his own.

Judy and Boomer, Tomlin and Beth 73 like this.
  72. carfurby (GA)

I'm glad Mowgli came up for you. I'd definitely skip tonight to drain the depot.

Judy and Boomer, Beth 73 and AmandaE like this.
  73. AmandaE

such a relief! I am definitely going to skip tonight!

74. Sonia & Leo

Wine9.png You deserve one of these Amanda!!

75. Judy and Boomer

I just saw that you're going to skip tonight.....I think that's a good idea....gets rid of the depot. Technically he earned a .25u reduction today but it may have been just the depot talking. Maybe ask others if you should also give the reduced dose tomorrow?

Sonia & Leo likes this.
  76. Penelope and Mačka

Penelope and Mačka Well-Known Member

Mowgli, I leave the forum for a few days and when I come back I see all this green????? So much for a TR trial! Reductions back to back lol.

77. JoyBee&Ravan

JoyBee&Ravan Well-Known Member

I hope his Francine does better on the plane also!

He's flying the cat "home" & then he needs to go back & drive his car home! He didn't want to stress the cat out in the long drive back to Chicago. (He's a Good son! :))
    He'll be back here in November & YES! I'm very happy he's coming home!

AmandaE likes this.
  78. AmandaE

Don't mind if I do! ;)

I was thinking it was the depot talking and was planning to keep the dose after skipping tonight. But you're right I should probably ask.
    Omg I know! he just snapped out of it suddenly, kind of like another kitty we know.... looking at you Macka!!

Penelope and Mačka likes this.
  79. AmandaE

One other thing about driving: Mowgli had to do quite a bit of driving with us when we were home. I would say about 8 hours total. I found that he really calmed down after an hour or so. Maybe if he had a sedative it would work if your son took Francine in the car!

I let Mowgli stay out of his carrier and just kept him on his harness so he couldnt wander around aimlessly. just a thought :)

I am so happy for you that your son will be home so soon! November will be here before you know it!!

JoyBee&Ravan and Sonia & Leo like this.
  80. Sonia & Leo

What a sweetie pie for doing that, that's a great kid you have Joy. :bighug:

81. Sue and Luci

Sue and Luci Well-Known Member

WOW! What a day you've had Amanda! That TR is powerful juju...pushed him right over the edge! I'm glad he's pulled through and you did a championship job of helping him get it back together.

Hope you can relax and get some rest tonight - keeping one eye on that Mowg's the whole time of course...sneaky little devil isn't he? Probably mad because you went out and had some fun...for a change...

P.S. Are you back on SLGS now?

One more suggestion: Anytime you shoot a green number it would be good to get a 1 an 2+ just to keep a close eye on which way that recent dose is taking him. I learned my lesson from Luci on that one...can't take your eyes off them for a minute... :)

AmandaE and Sonia & Leo like this.
  82. AmandaE

Pretty crazy day for sure! I’m still following TR, usually a Mowgli doesn’t dive like that during the day so I always have a big sleep in on Saturday/Sundays. I’ll have to be more careful from now on!

83. MrWorfMen's Mom

MrWorfMen's Mom Well-Known Member

Nice wrangling today Amanda. Bet you're a little pooped out from all that excitement but it's so worth it seeing the progress Mowgli is making! :D

84. AmandaE

October has been 5 crazy days with Mowgli!! I took a little nap today to recoup #selfcare :p

85. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

It is STRONGLY suggested to reduce when you get anything below 40, much less the 20's. Who cares if it's a back to back reduction, just do it. You can always go back up if needed. And this all happened just three cycles after a skip. FWIW, in the times when Neko went into the 20's (sigh!), I just did a half dose the cycle following to reduce the depot.
    Mowgli now and Mowgli before this last week are two different cats. Something has clicked in him. Expect the unexpected.:cool:

86. AmandaE

No problem, I can do the back to back reduction, I thought it would just have been the 0.75u depot in play this morning combined with giving him lower carb food than I had been recently, I'll go with the 0.25u tomorrow morning :)

To make sure I understand - In Mowglis case do you mean today, when he earned a reduction to 0.25u that you would have given 0.125u for the PM dose instead of skipping? Maybe something I will try once I get to know Mowg's new normal

Totally, thats what I am learning the hard way... but... weekend sleep ins :arghh: (jkjk) I agree, something has clicked and I am in new territory, back to square one of 'knowing' Mowgli's patterns

87. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

That would be one possibility. There's been a lot of "aack, your cat went low, skip to drain the depot" going around on the board lately. Not just here. Skipping is not always necessary, especially if it's likely the cat will bounce, or ketones have been in the past, or depending on the size of dose/depot, when the last reduction was. Know thy cat. Know what would be best in an individual situation. I don't want people reading this condo to think skipping is the norm. In Mowgli's case, what you did was fine.

Marje and Gracie and Sonia & Leo like this.