10/12 - Lantus - Flash - AMPS - 248

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Flash's human, Oct 12, 2019.

1. Flash's human

Flash's human Member

Sonia & Leo likes this.
  2. Flash's human

Flash's human Member

+3 is 158 so good number there.

Sonia & Leo likes this.
  3. Sonia & Leo

Sonia & Leo Well-Known Member

Nice! Right down to the beach (blue), looks like you might be joining all the other kitties in the lagoon again today Flash! :cool::D
    Have a great day Flash's human! :) What's your name by the way? Sorry if I missed it at the beginning.

4. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

You need to use regular insulin syringes with half unit markings, not the special "pen" needles. You just pull off the cap and insert the syringe into the pen and draw the insulin out. Use the pen like a "mini-vial".

You can get 3/10ml, 31 gauge insulin syringes from WalMart for $12.58/100 (and they do have half unit marks no matter what they might tell you)

With Flash earning a reduction last night, it's important that you're able to do the "in between" doses like 1.75, 1.5, 1.25......hopefully all the way down to .1 (and then OTJ!)

These are the syringes you need from WalMart. You can also order syringes online from ADW, but they'll take time to get to you and you need something soon.
    Relion syringes.jpg

5. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

We really don't recommend using dry for times when you need to bring the BG up. It takes longer to break down and get into the bloodstream. It's a better idea to keep a few cans of "Gravy Lovers" food around for those times. You open the can, put the lid back down and then "squeeze" the gravy part into another bowl. Feed a teaspoon or 2 at a time …..that way it gets to work sooner and won't "fill him up" in case he needs to eat more later if his BG goes down again.

6. Flash's human

Flash's human Member

Hi Sonia, I'm Bryan.

Sonia & Leo likes this.
  7. Sue and Luci

Sue and Luci Well-Known Member

Hi Bryan! I hope you were able to get to the store today to get those syringes. I believe I posted info about this on yesterday's post - but too late. Congrats on the reduction btw!

8. Flash's human

Flash's human Member

Hi, w/him having a 348 tonight PMPS, I don't know if I would move him off 2 under the SLGS method. At least I know he will be safe through the night, but I will consider the reduction strategy and syringes if his chart shows a better pattern. I help my wife quite a bit w/our autistic 4 year old and anxious 6 year old, so there's only so much I can do at times for my cat, just a busy time in life, so I'm not able to do all the testing I could.

9. Sue and Luci

Sue and Luci Well-Known Member

Unfortunately that 348 at PMPS is no guarantee he's going to be safe through the night. Many cats will drop like a rock after getting their insulin - especially in the PM hours. I understand completely about having a lot of other responsibilities - I asked myself the very same thing in the beginning. I was dumbfounded when the people on this board told me how often I was going to need to test! I didn't think I could ever do it...but we got that testing thing down to a science...it takes about 2-3 minutes to test Luci...sometimes less. As you test more and have your testing location set up; supplies at hand; you can streamline it down to doing it so quickly - it's hardly noticeable - hard to believe isn't it? But it's possible...just keep testing as often as you can.

Following the protocols is the only way to the road to success...and taking a reduction when he goes under a particular number is imperative... @Chris & China (GA) gave you excellent advice last night - she's been doing this for a long long time and many kitties lives have been saved due to her guidance. Please, please get those syringes as soon as you can get to the store so you can help Flash get the best result as safely as possible. :)

10. Flash's human

Flash's human Member

Can I assume I don't need a prescription to buy these syringes at WalMart? Do they have .25 unit marks on these, and how do you measure .1? What is OTJ?

11. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

Some states do require a prescription for syringes, have you needed one where you live for the syringes you are using? the Walmart ReliOn syringes are 1/2 U marked, if you need finer doses you can try to eyeball or use calipers.
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/...info-proper-handling-drawing-fine-dosing.151/
    From that document:

Using syringes with a pen, cartridge, or vial:
    • U-100 3/10cc syringes with half unit markings are the best to use for drawing Lantus, Basaglar, or Levemir from vials, cartridges, and pens.
    • BD Ultra-Fine, CarePoint Vet, Monoject, GNP, UltiCare Vet Rx, Sure Comfort, and ReliOn are just some of the brands available with half unit markings.
    • Syringes come in ½ inch or 5/16 inch needle lengths. Needle gauges are 29, 30 or 31 (31 being the thinnest)
    • Full and half-unit syringe scales:
    [​IMG]
    • Don't reuse syringes. You'll not only run the risk of contaminating the vial/cartridge/pen, but re-using a syringe may be very uncomfortable for your cat:
    [​IMG]
    Using a syringe to draw insulin from a pen or cartridge:

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    (L - R) Levemir FlexTouch Pen, Lantus Cartridge Refill (refill not available in US), Basaglar KwikPen
    Fine Dose Pictorial Guide

Fine dose gradations:
    • 0.5U = exactly half a unit
    • 0.4U = skinny 0.5 touching the line
    • 0.3U = skinny 0.5 with daylight under the line
    • 0.2U = fat zero with daylight over the line
    • 0.1U = fat zero barely touching the line
    Pictorial guide using a U-100 syringe marked with half units:
    Bryan, you can read further for more information and pictures

OTJ is off the juice, no insulin. That is a diet controlled diabetic..low carb diet and periodic testing for the life of the cat. And we all hope for long lasting remission for every sugar cat. Changing Idjit's diet to low carb, and a very short period of insulin effected his remission, now 16 months. Paws crossed for forever.

Sonia & Leo likes this.
  12. Flash's human

Flash's human Member

Excellent info here, ty. Unfortunately my Walmart did not have the 6 mm syringes, so I will call back tomorrow and see if their shipment came in.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2019
    Reason for edit: more info to add