? 10/18 Mačka AMPS 430 - fasting = higher BG?

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Penelope and Mačka, Oct 18, 2019.

1. Penelope and Mačka

Penelope and Mačka Well-Known Member

http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/...mps-350-4-5-326-increase.220374/#post-2459227

Good morning every one! Today's work was cancelled so I can enjoy some freedom again :)
    Macka is on his highest dose so far, one that brought him to greens 15 days ago. He saw greens after 9 days on the dose.... so I am not sure if I should hold this dose for longer for safety or increase this week-end.

Also, I am noticing that when he does not eat at all during the day, his BG is higher at AMPS/PMPS. For example, last night he did not eat at all and BG was 430 in the AM. I don't think he bounced because at +3.5 his numbers were super flat. When he eats even 2 hours before PMPS, he stays stable at a "high" 350. I saw this behavior a few times already and was wondering if somebody else noticed it?

Sonia & Leo likes this.
  2. AmandaE

AmandaE Well-Known Member

Hmm I’ve never noticed something like that but to be honest Mowgli is kind of a pig. For the dose, I would definitely just dose off of your one week curve. See what the nadir is and if Macka is still too high increase. It should be safe if he’s been in higher numbers

congrats on your day off!! Days off are the best!!

have a great weekend Penelope!

Penelope and Mačka likes this.
  3. Sue and Luci

Sue and Luci Well-Known Member

How much longer before you can increase per SLGS? Gotta be getting close...looks like he could use one soon :)

4. Penelope and Mačka

Per protocol, I should increase on Sunday, but last time, he went in the greens after 9 days, and earned a reduction (with hindsight, I shouldn't have).

5. Penelope and Mačka

Thank you!! I went thrifting and that was really fun!

I don't do weekly curves because I test multiple times a day... right now he looks like he needs an increase, but I'm worried he might go down later this week, if it's like last time.

Enjoy your week-end too!

6. Margie and Jackson

Margie and Jackson Member

Jackson’s bg goes up if I keep him hungry. I chalk it up to stress. If he’s just between meals it falls, though.

7. Margie and Jackson

Btw, Macka and Jackson have similar doses, I see. I’m thinking Jackson needs an increase, but his dose is higher than most cats. I can’t decide whether I should wait or increase, too. Jackson is actually getting higher and higher numbers, but he doesn’t seem sick or anything. Mysterious. Good luck with Macka.

8. Penelope and Mačka

Interesting phenomenon. I read that it happens with humans too. And might be related to the liver.
    I am in the same boat, not sure what to do with the increase, but my friend who is a diabetic confirmed that bodies get used to insulin and overtime need greater doses. Which is why doctors suggest practicing a sport to lower the BG. Too bad Macka is an old limper and will not practice anything.

9. Margie and Jackson

Haha, no football for Macka. Jackson does get some running in by terrorizing his roommate cats. As glucose toxicity, I suppose an increase is in order, if confirmed by my curve.

10. Margie and Jackson

And don’t the experts say the longer a cat has been diabetic the longer you should hold the dose? Seems like I saw that in the stickies. I’ll look around.
    Edit: the sticky for dosing methods with Lantus says to hold the dose longer on long-term diabetics as they get closer to ideal numbers.

11. Penelope and Mačka

Well good luck with the increase Margie! I hope Jackson sees improvement :)

Yes, I read that, holding the dose longer when the cat is already in good numbers.
    Macka is mainly in the reds, so I am not sure it applies to him, although that's exactly what I am doing these days, holding the dose. I just can't do TR and work at the same time, emotionally. Ahh, I wish we would see nicer curves by now.

I finally received a Levemir prescription from my vet, and will buy it in France (going in 2 weeks) since the price is a 1/10 over there. I don't want to start a new insulin today and leave my husband, who's working all the time, find the right dose and monitor while I am away. So it will have to wait until I'm back.