? 10/19 AMPS 154 +8 44 + 11 75. Shoot or not?

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Kylee and Her Mom Renee', Oct 19, 2018.

1. Kylee and Her Mom Renee'

Kylee and Her Mom Renee' Member

I gave Kylee a shot 1unit. I left food for her this afternoon because I am usually home to give her her lunch. I had a eye doctor appointment. Good news on that my glaucoma eye pressures were lower. After two surgeries and using drops (now on two different ones) my pressure are down. I am so happy.
    When I got home I tested her using the smaller 30 gauge poker. She did not flinch. See her low number of 44 I gave her the new FF classic food I bought for her today. She gobbled it up. So glad she likes it. She had not eaten since breakfast. Unless it was a bite or two. She was on the sofa when I left and was still there.
    Will keep an eye (pun intended) on her. After I test I will post with the update.

Joanne&TinySole likes this.
  2. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

With that 44 please test again and post. That is to low. If changing food it's best to monitor closely. Glucose can drop rapidly.

tiffmaxee likes this.
  3. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

Please do re-test 30 minutes after food....if she ate a whole can, she'll probably be in safer numbers, but we sure don't want her dropping any lower!

She's also earned a reduction in dose....down to .75

Congrats on the good eye news!

4. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

Congrats on the reduction.

5. Kylee and Her Mom Renee'

She did not eat a whole can. Just picked at it. I added some DM to it too. I gave her some Pure Bites chicken. She is at 75. So no shot or wait? I feel so bad that she goes up and down.

6. Chris & China (GA)

How long since she's had food?

Can you test again now?

7. Kylee and Her Mom Renee'

She had some of the prime bites about 1/4-1/2 an hour. I test just before that. So it has not been that long. Can FF classic mixed with DM to ween her over to FF about 1 1/2 hours ago. She like the new food, but it seemed to fill her up and is not hungry. She is sleeping. Her AMPS was at 9 am. it is now 9pm.

8. Kylee and Her Mom Renee'

Thank you.

9. Chris & China (GA)

I think you'd probably better skip if she's only at 75 and you've fed her.

The next time you get a Pre-shot test you're not sure about shooting, DON'T feed.....retest in 20-30 minutes. If the number goes up without the influence of food, it's probably going to be OK to go ahead and shoot

Since she's already had food, we can't know if her numbers are going up now because of the food she ate or because the last shot was really wearing off.

No matter how high she is at AMPS, just give the .75

10. Kylee and Her Mom Renee'

Thank you, yes, I decided to not shoot. She came downstairs to the kitchen where I was making sure she had food. She ate some more. I think her schedule was thrown off today. She has gotten used to me being home to make sure she gets her needs met. When I see low numbers like this afternoon I make sure she is fed so she doesn't go hypo. I have seen that the first weeks she was on insulin and it was not fun to see her like that.
    Yes, I will give her the dose tomorrow. Have a good night. I will try to get this all worked out. I am still new at this. Thanks again.

11. Chris & China (GA)

That's fine and that's what you should do! A teaspoon or two of food and then test again in 20-30 minutes to make sure she's above 50

But for the 2 hours immediately before shot time, you should not feed (unless she's below 50)…..then when it's shot time, you test first.....if you get a number you're not comfortable shooting, then don't feed her and test again in 20-30 minutes to see if the number goes up on it's own, without food.

We totally understand about how confusing this all can be!

Have a great night...and a good sleep too!

12. Kylee and Her Mom Renee'

Thank you. Her BG was 191 this am. I went downstairs to get her test since she didn't come to bed with me and she was ready. She wanted food and her shot. Then she and I go get under the blankets and she climbs on my chests and purr again like she does. This up and down with her insulin has to hard on her body. But yes, if she has a low number after food in the evening I won't shoot. I think she has always needed her AM shot. Thanks for your help. Is there a list of administrators so I know who I can maybe private message during the hours I am awake? (California)

13. Chris & China (GA)

No, not really.....we don't have specific "dosing advisors" on the board but there's usually someone online. We have quite a few members on the west coast.

Also, it's against board rules to give advice privately. One of the strengths of the message board is that it's "peer reviewed"....so if one person gives you bad advice, others can catch it and explain. It also gives you different opinions. In the end, each caretaker has to make their own decisions so while it can be frustrating sometimes to get several people giving different opinions, at least you know what your options are.

You need to test first…..If that number is lower than you're comfortable shooting, don't feed and post for help. Make sure your subject line says something like "STALLING--NEED HELP!"

Test again in 20-30 minutes.(and hopefully you'll have someone helping you here in that time)

What most of us do is take up all food by +10......then when it's shot time, they haven't had any food for at least 2 hours. Then you test to see if they're high enough for insulin, Feed and shoot. If the test is too low, don't feed and post for help.

14. Kylee and Her Mom Renee'

Thank you, that is what I have been doing. You have been so good to help me. I appreciate it. I just felt like I was bothering you when it gets late on the west coast. I will remember the Stalling msg.

15. Chris & China (GA)

If I'm up anyway, you're no bother at all!!

That's what we do here...we learn from each other, then pass what we learn onto the next person!